šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club XII (Nov 5 - Dec 3)

Witchcraft Therapy by Mandi Em is so far an awesome book. I thought Iā€™d pop over here and share a spell from the book and a passage that is phenomenal to me.

Part of the incredible magic of being human is the ability to grow and change. As you live your life, you make many shifts, some dramatic and some you might never even notice. Everyone has the capacity to change their mindset and thus their entire life. All those limits you set at some point based on what was going on became a self-fulfilling prophecy, but you can stop that prophecy in its tracks if you choose to put in the effort. Just like with the gratitude, you may find yourself hard up for material to praise yourself with at first. But donā€™t worry, boo: Youā€™ll get used to being kind to yourself over time. Most of us would be quick to defend ourselves if someone else were to dissect our character, so simply shift that energy inward, and it will eventually become second nature to sing your own praises like a sweet songbird. And if youā€™re worried that by shifting your focus away from all your imagined shortcomings youā€™ll somehow be setting yourself up for catastrophe (hello, anxiety!), know this: Youā€™re more likely to actually hone your intuition and inner voice of reason by channeling all that mental energy to a place that serves your highest good rather than draining you with needless negativity. To vibe check your mindset is truly a thing of beauty, and treating yourself as a friend is one of the greatest kindnesses you can give yourself. After all, how can you expect to find wisdom and healing in the world when youā€™re spent from fighting a battle against yourself? Remember: Your words are spells. Channel their power wisely.

Em, Mandi. Witchcraft Therapy: Your Guide to Banishing Bullsh*t and Invoking Your Inner Power (pp. 51-52). Adams Media. Kindle Edition.

A Honey-Tongued Spell
To complete a spell for shifting mean self-talk to empowering affirmation, youā€™ll need:
A spoon
Honey
A warm cup of herbal tea (preferably something calming, such as chamomile or peppermint)
A mirror

1. Measure a spoonful of honey and tap it into the cup without submerging the spoon in the water.
  2. Put the spoon on your tongue. Either in your head or out loud say the following incantation while looking in the mirror: ā€œI choose to speak as if to a friend; sweeten my words, with love Iā€™ll send.ā€
  3. Use the spoon to stir your tea clockwise a few times.
  4. Begin sipping the tea. As you drink, visualize it as a medicine that heals your mindā€™s tongue from talking shit about yourself.
  5. Repeat this spell as often as needed in order to silence your inner critic and become your own biggest hype-bitch.

Em, Mandi. Witchcraft Therapy: Your Guide to Banishing Bullsh*t and Invoking Your Inner Power (p. 53). Adams Media. Kindle Edition.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve added a second book.

My Pagan Portals book on Persephone has just arrived and Iā€™m already entranced. Her story (not the traditional abduction version) is really resonating with me.

8 Likes

Rowan I really liked this spell and am doing it right know, as we speak. I liked how we were able to taste the honey first and then eat the honey then speak the truth! It was easy and profoundly helpful. i think I will put this one on my list to buy!
Jeannie

8 Likes

@Jeannie1 Awesome! Iā€™m glad you liked it, the entire book is so good. I was up until after 3 this morning reading.
:laughing::heart:

6 Likes

I have Pre-ordered my copy of The Witchā€™s Path: Advancing Your Craft at Every Level by Thorn Mooney . But Iā€™m not too sure when it will be released here in Australia. Bummer.

So in the meantime I have ordered myself Hekate: Goddess of Witches by Courtney Weber.

While Iā€™m waiting for that one to arrive I am reading Wicca Made Easy: Awaken the Divine Magic within You by Phyllis Curott. That one is actually a gift from my Mum. She surprised me with it one day a couple of weeks back.

She really is supporting me on my new journey and is happy to help me learn. Iā€™m lucky; Iā€™ve got a really good mum.

9 Likes

Awesome, @Christina4- I hope your new book arrives safe and sound! :package: :blush:

Nice, @IrisW- with the season and Hekateā€™s Night(s) coming up soon, I think that now is a great time to learn more about Her. And it sounds like your book on Persephone is wonderful as well. Enjoy your books! :sparkling_heart:

Sounds like fun @MeganB! Enjoy your books and canā€™t wait to hear your thoughts on them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Wow, @Susurrus, that is quite a list of books to get to- but it sounds like you are really enjoying them and flying through them, so Iā€™m sure you can get through them! Good luck! :grinning:

Ohhhh thanks so much for sharing the spell, @Rowan! :heart_eyes: Always love empowering spells, and honey is a favorite ingredient. This is a great one- thank you! :honey_pot:

So many wonderful books, @jessica72- good for you! I hope they all meet your expectations and that you have fun learning more. Blessed reading! :books:

8 Likes

Right now I have books on my phone & paperback, so no matter the situation I can read if I want to do so. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

Youā€™ve got the best of both worlds, @Susurrus! :grin: I left my eBook reader in the USA when I moved to Europe two years ago and I canā€™t wait to have it again! Never thought I would miss it, but they really are handy for keeping lots of books on hand :books::two_hearts:

Blessed reading! :open_book:

8 Likes

Another Great bit of info I found in my book that Iā€™m readingā€¦
A Banishing Beads Ritual
For this ritual, youā€™ll need: A blue ribbon, about 6" long 2 Mason jars A black ribbon, about 6" long A collection of small beads (enough to fill 1 Mason jar) A Mason jar full of moon water*

1. Tie a blue ribbon around the mouth of one of the jars, and a black ribbon around the mouth of the other.
  2. Fill the jar with the blue ribbon with the beads. These beads represent your thoughts.
  3. When youā€™re having an anxious or intrusive thought, take a bead from the first jar and hold it, visualizing it being filled with all the negative energy coming from that thought.
  4. As you handle the bead, affirm its task as being a physical representation of that anxious thought.
  5. Take a deep breath in and, as you exhale, place the bead in the jar with the black ribbon. Tell yourself that you are choosing to put this thought down. Itā€™s not gone, just shelved for now.
  6. Repeat this process until the jars are reversed (the black jar is full and the blue jar is empty).
  7. Once the black jar is full, pour in the moon water to cleanse your beads, drain that sucker, and begin again. *To collect moon water, leave a lidded jar of ingestible water outside somewhere the full moon will shine on it. The next morning, bring it out of the light and store it in a dark place until ready to use.
    Pg #. 123-125
10 Likes

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

I love this ritual- from the beads, to banishing bad thoughts, to how sustainable it is (a spell with nothing that needs to be disposed of, everything can be reused over and over again)! Absolutely beautiful, thanks so much for sharing, @Rowan! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: :memo: Spells8 Book Club XII - Readersā€™ Reviews!

Awesome, thanks for your review @Susurrus! And congrats on finishing The Morrigian :raised_hands: Iā€™ll move this lovely review into the next Readerā€™s Review Discussion when it launches at the end of this book club session.

Until then, perhaps you have another book youā€™re excited about reading? :books::blush:

6 Likes

Yes! I am adding it to the Book Club now! Iā€™m actually well into reading it already. :joy: I just hadnā€™t posted the review of the first book yet. :books:

The last week has been somewhat of a whirlwind that had itā€™s ups & downs & all around. Today is my first day to have for me, so Iā€™m taking my time getting moving & enjoying my coffee :coffee:

7 Likes

Ohhh I see it in the list- hope youā€™re enjoying Raven Goddess, it sounds like a perfect book for you, Siofra! :heart:

I hope you were able to enjoy some quality ā€œme timeā€ too- happy reading! :books::blush:

7 Likes

I missed the last one but Iā€™ve read a few books since then so Iā€™ll review a couple this time.
A few quick thoughts on them:

ā€œThe Inner Mysteriesā€ by Farrar & Bone - This book has a very interesting section on Wiccan cosmology and is a deeper look into the craft than a 101 book.

ā€œYear of the Magickal Dragonā€ by Virginia Chandler - I actually bought this one because I loved the cover art but I ended up intrigued by dragon energies and am trying to work it into my practice.

ā€œThe Crooked Pathā€ by Kelden - A few problems with misinformation and the general tone/agenda but the author makes a good point about local spirits and has a nice idea for using the besom.

8 Likes

Sounds like a good one @MeganB I love the idea of spiritual ancestors and connections to those who arenā€™t necessarily genetic ancestors but still deeply connected to us. Good luck with the hedgeriding, definitely seems like it will be a rewarding pursuit!

8 Likes

I just started a 3rd book & added it to the Wiki. :books: :two_hearts:

6 Likes

Haha :laughing: me too!!

7 Likes

@BryWisteria thereā€™s no author from the book Iā€™m using for the challenge. Is that ok? Iā€™m using: The Witches Almanac; The Sun: Rays of Hope Issue 40

6 Likes