šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club XIX (Jul 8 - Aug 5)

Thatā€™s the spirit! :laughing: :+1: :heart:

Iā€™m so glad you love CYOA books too- I did the same thing where I loved them as a kid and then recently found out thereā€™s still a whole genre out there to be explored! Itā€™s having quite the revival lately.

I hope your kids enjoy the book you so kindly shared- happy reading to them too! :books::blush:

That cover is beautiful :heart_eyes: And The Body Keeps the Score sounds like it may have some great healing advice for you- it may not be written for witches, but I think healing and wellbeing can be very important parts of a practice, so Iā€™d definitely count that! :grinning:

Happy reading, Megan- I hope they both turn out to be great books for you! :two_hearts:

5 Likes

I finally remembered to add my second book :open_book: to the Book Club!

I havenā€™t finished the review for the Hands of Light book, but I did add it to the Chakra Information thread for further reading because it goes more in depth with working with chakras & the aura. It was really helpful.

Now I just have to find another book about being an Empath & the different types to figure out what I have going on as it is more intense & more involved than before. Apparently I had closed a lot of me off over the years. I couldnā€™t be happier than I am right now though. :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Finished the first book of the Green Witchcraft series so Iā€™m starting the second: Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow*.

Iā€™m excited about this one as each chapter has meditations, rituals, and/or spells to perform along with the chapter.

6 Likes

@MeganB Iā€™ve read The Body Keeps the Scoreā€¦ what a great book!

To keep it short, Iā€™ve been fighting back against some pretty gnarly health issues the past seven years. The Body Keeps the Score really gave me some wonderful insight into how I needed to approach my situation holistically by addressing my CPTSD as part of my physical ailments.

It works. The methods in the book really work.

The book (along with others) led me to the path of quantum physics and finding further ways to effecter healing in my body via energy manipulation.

Now my doctors are literally taking notes from my experiences on this journey towards regained health.

What a great book choice!

6 Likes

Iā€™m even more excited to read it now! I have a notebook specifically for taking notes on this book :laughing: I think Iā€™m going to need it.

6 Likes

What a brilliant way to experience a story! Such fun! Iā€™m still at the start of itā€¦and it seems quite addictive!

6 Likes

@Susurrus Iā€™m glad Hands of Light has been helpful for your chakra studies, Siofra! I hope youā€™re able to find a great book about being an Empath too- good luck with the search, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find something! :grinning:

@Amaris_Bane Look at you go, Amaris! :partying_face: Congrats on finishing book one- I hope you enjoy book two as well!

@August_Wandering Iā€™m sorry to hear that youā€™ve been fighting with health issues but Iā€™m glad you found helpful advice and refuge in Body Keeps the Score- it sounds like a really amazing book! :star_struck: Quantum physics and energy work are very exciting- complicated (I often struggle to wrap my head around things about quantum physics lol) but very exciting. Iā€™m happy for you, August! :heart: And yes- Iā€™m a huge fan of interactive fiction! I hope you enjoy the story too :blush::open_book:

6 Likes

Love that there is a book club here! I love reading. But I find that since Iā€™m a newbie witch, I get too many witchy books and rarely finish themā€¦ But Iā€™ve learned lots, taking bits from each.

Right now Iā€™ve got 3-4 Iā€™m in lol, but Iā€™m gonna use this thread to try and concentrate on just 1 book. Here is my book, Iā€™m in ch. 2 reading about connecting with trees:

8 Likes

Determined to actually finish a book for the first time in ages!

8 Likes

@chaitea43 and @IrisW you can do it! I set aside some time in the evening before bed to read. It helps me some down in the evenings. I usually read fiction but if I havenā€™t had a chance to read any of my witchy books, Iā€™ll pick up that instead.

7 Likes

@chaitea43 Too many books, too little time? I feel ya, my friend! :laughing: But it sounds like youā€™ve been able to find jewels of wisdom in what you have read, and thatā€™s awesome. The books will always be there for you- you take what you can now, and know that you can always jump back into them in the future :books::two_hearts:

I hope you enjoy Wild Magical Soul- happy reading!

@IrisW Yes yes yes to what Amaris said- youā€™ve got this, Iris! :raised_hands: :heart: Happy reading!

6 Likes

Hi @AileyGrey. Iā€™m reading that book and totally loving it. What struck me most was the quote, ā€œI didnā€™t decide to become a witch. I remembered I was one.ā€

I love reading :books: and now my tablet computer is full of pdfs on magick! Itā€™s amazing to be a part of a book club in a coven. Loving this :heart_eyes:

The book Iā€™ve chosen - ā€œThe Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of Magical Plantsā€ by Susan Gregg is a lovely book with mind blowing pics of herbs, mystical flowers and enchanting plants. The book gives detailed info on herb colors, planting herb gardens connected to the elements and the lunar phases, the herbs of various sabbats and the best part: each herb has both the scientific and magickal usages. Since my mom has a kitchen full of aromatic herbs and spices, Iā€™ve decided to use this magical book.

The books mentioned by others look cool. A great reading month ahead to all! Blessed be this Book Club! :heart: :magic_wand:

7 Likes

@MorganFay it was a good read. Some of it was a little much for me and made me roll my eyes, but other parts of it were spot on! Thatā€™s the joy of reading, though, consider the thoughts of others, take what is valuable for you, leave the rest! Happy reading!

5 Likes

Ohhhhh :heart_eyes: That sounds like an amazing book, Morgan- so much magickal knowledge about the plants! The Green Witch in me is very interested to hear what you think of it as you get further into the book- Iā€™m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts! :open_book: :green_heart:

Blessed reading! :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Friendly reminder time!

:grey_exclamation: The current reading period will end this Friday (August 5th) :grey_exclamation:

A Readerā€™s Review post will appear in the forums at that time for everyone to share their thoughts and hear all about what your fellow coven members have been reading.

I hope everyone is enjoying their reading so far! Iā€™m looking forward to reading everyoneā€™s thoughts and learning about new books :open_book: :sparkles:

Happy reading and blessed be! :books::sparkles:

4 Likes

Merry meet everyone!
Iā€™ve finished my Herbs book. It was fascinating. But many of the herbs are notnative to my place. Anyway, the moon planting guide is quite useful.

6 Likes

Congrats on finishing your book, @MorganFay! :partying_face: It sounds like you were able to learn a lot about herbs :+1:

For any interesting herbs you learned about that arenā€™t native to where you are, perhaps you could order them online? There are a few resources and tips about how to do so in this herbs and spices discussion. I also recommend Mountain Rose Herbs (online reseller) as well as checking to see if you have an apothecary/herbalist nearby who could order for you :herb::package:

I hope youā€™re able to find any herbs you want to use! Blessed be :sparkles::blush:

5 Likes

Today marks the end of this reading period!

A discussion will soon open up in the forum for everyone to share their thoughts and swap book reviews :open_book:

Please keep an eye on the forums for the soon-to-appear post! :eyes:

:exclamation: The few wonderful reviews already posted here have since been re-homed in the Readersā€™ Reviews post to make them easier to find!

magic books
Gif by Anastreela on Giphy

Didnā€™t finish your book or just got started ? No worries!

Feel free to share your thoughts so far and chime in on the reviews that your fellow coven members have shared. You may find a recommendation for a new book! :open_book:

After a one-week review period, the next reading session will begin: Next Friday, August 12th . Feel free to continue reading your current book into the next session or start a brand new book at that time!

Happy reading and reviewing! :books::blush:

3 Likes

This reading session has closed- thanks for joining in! If you have a book review to share, please do so in the open Readerā€™s Review post. Any other non-review posts can be shared in the current Book Club reading session or the Book Club FAQ.