šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club XIX (Jul 8 - Aug 5)

Wishing a warm welcome to all of the forum book-lovers!

:books: :blush: :heart:

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last monthā€™s reading session (Reading Session XVIII)

For those who havenā€™t yet shared their thoughts about their book (or anyone who enjoys reading book reviews!) you still have time to do so in :memo: Spells8 Book Club XVIII- Readerā€™s Reviews .

As of today, the nineteenth book club reading session has now begun !

Spells8 Book Club

On Your Mark, Get Set, READ!

1. Begin by announcing your book
    The first post below is an editable wiki post- add your book title and name to the list! (instructions below)

2. Know that you have [[ 4 weeks ]] in this reading session
    While it is great if you can finish your book during this time, it is okay if you break it into chapters or sections- do as much as you can and know that doing your best is always good enough!

3. As youā€™re reading, feel free to share your thoughts!
    You are very welcome to share any thoughts or tidbits while you read in the comments below or in a new post in the forums. Just save the best parts for the final discussion at the end of the reading period!

4. Join the final discussion
    After four weeks, a discussion post will open encouraging all readers to share a review of their book and any personal thoughts they have about it. A mini-review is perfectly fine, and there will be a suggested format for anyone who would like to write a longer review.

A note about sharing books:

While everyone is free to choose their own book, you may consider reading along with someone else ! It is fun to share thoughts and insights about different books and even more exciting to do in-depth about a book with fellow readers :handshake:

If the book you plan to read is already on the list below, add your name to the list of others reading that book! For books with multiple readers, a separate discussion just for you will open for you to swap thoughts and share insights.

Please keep in mind that everyone will reconvene for the final discussion, regardless of which book you read :books:

If you are reading a book along with someone else, please make a note in the comments so I can create a special discussion thread for you!

Not sure what to read?

You can find book recommendations in:

And also:

Reading on a budget?

Free online books can be found in:

If you have any questions about Book Club, be sure to check the Book Club FAQ and/or ask in the comments.

Blessed be and happy reading!

:sparkles: :open_book: :sparkles:

5 Likes

~~ ~~ ~~ This post is a WIKI POST- it is editable by everyone! ~~ ~~ ~~

Please announce your books here :blush:

Example:
Book Title by Author
(@) your username

Out of respect to others, please only add/edit your own entry

• Mindfulness by Domyo Sater Burk
    @BryWisteria

• Hands of Light by Barbara Brennan
    @Susurrus

• Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic. by Lisa Lester
    @AileyGrey

• Everyday Tarot by Brigit Belmont
    @Amethyst

• Casting Sacred Space: The Core of All Magickal Work by Ivo Dominguez Jr.
    @Amethyst

• Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore, and Herb Craft by Ann Moura
    @Amaris_Bane

• Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow by Ann Moura (Aoumiel)
    @Amaris_Bane

• Of Blood and Bones: Working With Shadow Magick & the Dark Moon by Kate Freuler
    @Murphy

• The Witchā€™s Kind : novel Louisa Morgan
    @MsQ

• A Broom at Midnight by Roger J. Horne
    @MeganB

• Aos Sidhe by Morgan Daimler
    @MeganB

• The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk, MD
    @MeganB

• The Witch Wavelength: Tuning into Your Magical Nature by Sheena Cundy @Susurrus

• The Old Girlsā€™ Book of Spells: the real meaning of menopause, sex, car keys and other important stuff by Cal Garrison @August_Wandering

• Talking with Psychopaths and Savages: Mass Murderers and Spree Killers by Christopher Berry-Dee @IrisW

• The Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of Magical Plants: A Practical Guide to Creating Healing, Protection, and Prosperity Using Plants, Herbs and Flowers by Susan Gregg @MorganFay

5 Likes

For anyone who has trouble with adding their entry to the wiki post above, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so:

ā†’ How to Edit a Wiki Post (with pictures!)

If youā€™ve read the instructions but are still having a tough time- no stress at all! For anyone who prefers, I am happy to add you in. Just write your book title and author in a normal post and I will take care of it :blush:

Blessed be! :heart:

5 Likes

I was reading a blog about meditation tips (the Zen Studies Podcast Blog if anyone is interested) the other week and fell in love with the way the writer explained things- so when I found out they wrote a guide to mindfulness I couldnā€™t resist!

Extra bonus that I found it second-hand from a charity for $4- weā€™re off to a good start :sunglasses: :+1:

Itā€™s written in such a friendly and approachable way that Iā€™m hoping that even some of the meditation/mindfulness ideas and techniques I struggle with might become easier from a different perspective.

Hereā€™s to hoping itā€™ll be an educational read! :open_book: :person_in_lotus_position: :sparkles:

6 Likes

My book is on my Kindle so I canā€™t show a picture of the cover, but what a happy surprise when I found out that there are more books by the same author that seem to go more in-depth with what is in this book.

@marsha had recommended it after a post by @Francisco had it listed in his post. Since my world got tossed in the air & I fell face-first into Pandoraā€™s Box, the progress that I have made in the last year, & knowing that I have to keep up on my energy work for keeping forward motion, this book has brought to light a lot of things for me that I have actually been able to do since childhood. I just thought it was something else, the lighting, my eye/vision issues, honestly, I thought it was from looking at things without focusing or because I couldnā€™t focus.

Anyway, what it is being described I have already been doing! So this is really helping me to keep it to myself rather than letting reach out to others & pick up their feelings & energy to intermingle with mine or attach to me, which we have seen has some not-so-pretty results.

Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t do a review of the last Chakra book that I was reading but smack dab in the middle of the book club/review process; I had more than a full plate for a few weeks. The end of school & beginning of summer was happening right along with those things. It was a lot :grin:

5 Likes

I know they say not to judge a book by itā€™s cover, but I totally did on this one. This book popped up while I was searching for something else and (as seems to be my m.o.) I downloaded it. I am almost finished with it and it is very, very good. It is very ā€œhardcore feminist/death to patriarchyā€ in some places, but the message is 100%. I canā€™t wait to finish it and share more!

8 Likes

@Susurrus ā€“ Iā€™m gonna have to look your book up! It sounds interesting :thinking:

@AileyGrey ā€“ Iā€™ve read that book before. For me it was a definite hard pass :sweat_smile: I canā€™t handle the womb-talk about magic. I look forward to hearing your perspective, though!

5 Likes

@MeganB That part has not been my favorite, an interesting perspective for sure and if it speaks to you and makes you feel powerfulā€¦ rock on. I actually have a minor in Womenā€™s Studies, but Iā€™ve definitely rolled my eyes a little bit here and there. Overall, Iā€™m enjoying it though!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve signed up for two because Iā€™m almost done with Everyday Tarot and I want everyone to know how good Iā€™ve found it. Iā€™m hoping my other book is just as good!

4 Likes

@MeganB it is from her perspective of how she got to where she is, but references scientific information & people that have done work with these types of things.

I was trying to explain to @Amaris_Bane , but you know me, words making sense arenā€™t my strong point in this part of my journey, that I have more than what I thought I did as far as empathic gifts. I can do some of things explained & things to do with otherā€™s energies & auras, I can do what they are explaining but do you think after any of this time I can remember what they are actually called, no. But I know I that I do them more than just feel, I can hear, see, smell, just get a general sensation or vibe. Thereā€™s a few of them, I just call them my gifts because I donā€™t know the words to explain or the terms for them. :laughing: I just know. :joy:

5 Likes

Iā€™m starting with the first book in the Green Witchcraft series by Ann Moura as Iā€™ve been heavy on the green witch side and wanting to expand my knowledge. I may be adding the second book if I finish this one before the end.

5 Likes

@Amaris_Bane I canā€™t wait to hear about Green Witchcraft! That looks lovely!

6 Likes

I started a little early (:shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face:) when we ended the last session and am about 1/4 though it. Iā€™m loving it so far. She not only discusses Wiccan/mainstream Witchcraft but the Witchcraft that was passed from mother to daughter for generations, without stating it was Witchcraft. Her style of writing is great and there is so much information! There is something like 8 or 9 in the series total. I have 1-3, and the last one ā€œMansions of the Moon.ā€

6 Likes

@Susurrus ā€“ Iā€™ve already added it to my to-be-read list :laughing: from what youā€™ve explained it sounds like something right up my alley. Of course, if I can ever find the time or motivation to read books again is another issue :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad we have a Siofra translator in the house! Itā€™s a good read & I have little epiphanies every time it says to try something & I doā€¦ Iā€™m likeā€¦ well, thatā€™s not exactly how I do it, but I get the same result. I have been doing this as long as I can remember :laughing:

5 Likes

@Susurrus Sounds like youā€™ve found an interesting one, Siofra- canā€™t wait to hear what you think of it by the end of the read! :open_book: :grinning:

@AileyGrey That sounds like a fierce read! Hahaha as with any book, the reader is free to take and adapt any of the things explored within the pages, and it sounds like thereā€™s plenty there that inspires you- Iā€™m really glad youā€™re enjoying it, Ailey! :blush:

@Amethyst Go, Amethyst, go! :partying_face: Iā€™m glad youā€™re loving Everyday Tarot and I canā€™t wait to hear about both it and Casting Sacred Space- may it be just as fun of a read for you! :books::heart:

@Amaris_Bane Hooray for Green Witchery! :green_heart: :blush: And hahaha thereā€™s no magickal book police coming around to regulate reading- you are free to jump into your book whenever you hear the call! :open_book: :grinning: It sounds like itā€™s a really interesting read too- I canā€™t wait to hear your thoughts about it! Happy reading! :tada:

4 Likes

I finished Everyday Tarot this weekend, it was great! It was written by the lady who runs Biddy Tarot and it was just wonderful! Iā€™m hoping my other choice is just as good!

5 Likes

Still on crooked path :woman_facepalming: I have however been bringing it with me to placement and reading when it gets quite here.

6 Likes

Hooray! :partying_face: Congrats to you for finishing it, Amethyst- and no way! Ahhhh I love Biddy Tarot, they have some great resources :tarot_card: :two_hearts:

I hope your next read is just as good too- have fun with it! :blush:

Thatā€™s a great idea! I know you were looking for things to pass the quiet moments at placement and reading your book is an awesome way to pass the time with a bit of magick :sparkles::open_book: Enjoy, Khadija!

5 Likes

There are a lot of witchy readers here- is anyone else interested in interactive fiction? (aka: the choose-your-own-adventure style of reading) :open_book:

I came across a great interactive story the other day and really enjoyed it reading/playing it- you design your own main character and embark on an adventure. Itā€™s a magickal fantasy world, but the twist is this: your character is powerful in this world because they donā€™t have magick. Kind of ā€œupside downā€ for us witches, but it plays out pretty neat in the story! :grinning: :sparkles:

You can play the game (for free- itā€™s a work in progress) online on its webpage here:

(Click ā€œRun Interactive Novelā€ to begin)

Just wanted to share with fellow readers! :blush::books::sparkles:

6 Likes