šŸ“ Spells8 Book Club XXVI - Readers' Reviews!

Wishing a very warm welcome to all of the Witchy Readers! :open_book:

The latest reading period for Book Club [Mar 10 - Apr 7] has now ended - thank you to everyone who joined in!

Members & Their Books This Reading Period:

• The Heirloom Gardener: Traditional Plants and Skills for the Modern World by John Forti
    @BryWisteria

• Your Tarot Toolkit: Simple Activities for Your Daily Practice by Ru-Lee Story
    @Amethyst

• Metal Never Lies: An Introduction to Metal Magic by Sam ā€˜Boā€™ Thompson
    @MeganB

• Brigid by Courtney Weber @stephanieanne76

• Brigid: History, Mystery, & Magick of the Celtic Goddess by: Courtney Weber @Susurrus

• Witchcraft Therapy by Mandi Em @catherine11

• The Sorcerorā€™s Secrets by Jason Miller @Wysteria_Norn

• In Focus Crystals: Your Personal Guide by Bernice Cockram
    @Missa

• The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home by Arin Murphy - Hiscock
    @Amaris_Bane

• A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness @Phoenix_Rose

• Traditional Witchcraft A Cornish Book of Ways by Gemma Gary
    @jim

Even if you are not listed above but you read a book during this reading period/ you decided to read a different book than listed- you are very welcome to share and discuss here too!

Time to share your thoughts with your coven! :star_struck:

This discussion post will serve as a place to share your thoughts and opinions on the book you chose.

• :heart_eyes: If you loved your book and think everyone should read it- awesome! Talk about your favorite points or something you learned.
  • :woman_shrugging: If you didnā€™t connect with the book- consider explaining why it wasnā€™t for you.
  • :angry: Absolutely hated your book of choice? Warn others to stay away!

This is a great place to share your love for books and find recommendations for new books to read :+1:

Picture from Pixabay

Your book review can be as simple or elaborate as youā€™d like :writing_hand:

If youā€™re not sure what to talk about, here is a suggested format you can use. Feel free to write as little or as much as youā€™d like!

Book Title and Author:

Status? : Finished / Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : ???/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

My personal thoughts/opinions:

An interesting quote from the book: " "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No

Remember that your review is uniquely yours- this is a chance to let your opinions and voice be heard :raised_hands:

Please keep in mind that others may have opinions that differ from yours- when responding to the thoughts of others please always show respect! Remember that 100 people will read 1 book and have 100 different experiences. Thatā€™s what makes sharing interesting :heart:

What if I didnā€™t finish my book / joined late? :raised_hand:

No worries!

You are welcome to share your thoughts about the part you have read so far. If you joined the session late and have just started, feel free to talk about your expectations for your book. You can continue reading it into the next reading period.

And whether you read a book or not - you are very welcome to jump in and discuss what others share about their books! :handshake:

Picture from Pixabay

Deadlines and Dates :spiral_calendar:

You have 5 weeks to share your thoughts and discuss (until the next Readersā€™ Review Post appears in the forum!)

Deadline for Reviews for this Session: Friday, May 12

While you have plenty of time for reviews, know that the next reading period will begin in one week:

The Next Reading Session will Begin: Friday, April 14

On this day a post will appear where you can announce your next book (or continue with your current reading!).

Until then, you can find more info about the club in the Book Club FAQ.

Picture from Pixabay

It can be hard to find the time and motivation to read on your own- hopefully book club helped provide a bit of motivation and that it led to some wonderful new knowledge and discoveries in your Craft :books:

Thanks again for joining in and being a part of Book Club! I am so excited to read your thoughts and learn more about the book you spent time with :blush::open_book:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

:books: :heart: :infinite_roots:

6 Likes

Spells8 Book Club XXVI Entry
The Sorcerorā€™s Secrets by Jason Miller @Wysteria_Norn

• Recommendation: 10/10
  • Relevance to Witchcraft Practice: 10/10
  • User Ease-of-Use: 10/10

Author Background: Jason Miller is a Sorcerer by craft who combines several teaching schools to form a unique and eclectic Sorcery practice. He is a former student of numerous witchcraft schools, eastern mystic practices, etc., whose teaching ā€˜path,ā€™ if you will, also utilizes psychological and social science modalities into a rather powerful technique. Although the book is titled, ā€œStrategic Sorcery,ā€ donā€™t assume that traditional witchcraft isnā€™t represented. It absolutely is.
Synopsis: Itā€™s what happens when you take Alchemy (sans lab work) and traditional witchcraft, grind them finely in a mortar, sprinkle in shamanism/Thelema/Gnosticism/Christianity/Conjure add to your favor warm beverage, learn and enjoy!
One caveat - his methods are straight forward, direct and no nonsense. He will use terms that you may not be familiar with based on the tradition you follow. However, that makes little difference to the overall effect of his teachings.
For example, practitioners use various terms for the three aetheric divisions within us. Miller uses Level 3 for the ā€˜Fetchā€™, subconscious, primal, right-sided, ID, etc, Level 2 for the Ego, ā€˜Talkerā€™, conscious, left-sided, etc., and Level 1 for the Superego, ā€˜Holy Daemon/Spiritā€™, aetheral, etc.
Also included is a plethora of fantastic spells such as, ā€œA great general cleansing and sanctifying incense is a combination of frankincense, Myrrh and Dragonā€™s Blood. For reversing harm, you might try Mullien, Sage and Rueā€ (Miller, pg. 161).
Hereā€™s another one - ā€œWashā€™s can be said to represent the two feminine elements: Waterā€¦and earth (the herbs, minerals and other ingredients in the wash). Incense represents the male elements: Air (the smoke) and fire (the burning) (Miller, pg 161)ā€¦First, channel the energy of the fire and visualize the object engulfed in a fire that burns away all impurities. Then visualize a gust of air extinguishing the fire and leaving all the impurities as ash. Next, visualize a torrent of water that washes away the ash and leaves nothing but the pure and pristine object behind. The element of earth is represented as the object itself. This method is used to purify offerings to spirits as well as ritual itemsā€ (Miller pg 162).
Here, Miller combines the powers of the male and female along with all four elements along with the spirit to cleanse any object.
Miller discusses long-term (Strategic) financial planning and magickal techniques, mantra and mediation practices, herbal and cunning magick, invocations and projections in a thought-provoking (yes, I used that term and mean it! lol) and compelling way that actively engages the reader. The author and reader become buddies engaging in fun, yet extremely educational and effectual, magick.
I would absolutely recommend this to any witch with the thirst for more.

7 Likes

It is time to get this review in before I forget. I first listened to this as audiobook but after decided I should have it as a bound read as well and am glad I did. I came to find this while looking for things intermediate. No more beginner stuff. Well this goes there. It will also explore subject matter that might not be for everyone for sure. A book of traditional local craft. I found the topics about connection with other places just outside our sense of reality very well done. The rituals and spells in here give those hints of places to go and things to do just that next distance down a path. Even those who would give this path a hard no I believe would still do well to be aware of it and those who follow it. Feel free to ask any questions you might have after this I am guessing brief and cryptic review.

8 Likes

10/10 across the board- wow! :star_struck: This book was right up your alley- it sounds like it was exactly what you were looking for, Wysteria Norn! It sounds like it was absolutely loaded with interesting information, about so many magickal topics and techniques.

And itā€™s always such an amazing feeling to completely connect with the author, their style, and what they are sharing- Iā€™m so happy this book was such a great read for you! Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! :open_book: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

So many of the witchy books Iā€™ve seen and heard about tend to be geared towards beginners or at least be ā€œbeginner-friendlyā€- itā€™s refreshing to hear about a book intended for intermediate practitioners :grinning:

Iā€™m really glad you enjoyed Traditional Witchcraft, Jim- thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on the book/audiobook (itā€™s always nice when a book comes in multiple format and you can choose which works best for you!) :books: :two_hearts:

7 Likes

I am happy to say I found a book query=creator%3A%22Dahl%2C+Roald%22); I caught on (Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine)
Book review.

The witches

by
Dahl, Roald; Blake, Quentin, ill
Copyright 1985.
This a sweet, adorable read. from the back cover ā†’
This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches. Real witches donā€™t ride around on broomsticks. They donā€™t even wear black cloaks and hats. They are vile, cunning, detestable creatures who disguise themselves as nice, ordinary ladies. So how can you tell when youā€™re face to face with one? Well, if you donā€™t know yet youā€™d better find out quickly because thereā€™s nothing a witch loathes quite as much as children and sheā€™ll wield all kinds of terrifying powers to get rid of them.
Sound familiar? In 2020 a movie of the same name was released, based on a book of the same name. It starring Anjelica Huston (The famous actor Walter Hustonā€™s daughter.)and Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean).
This book gets a solid 10 if just for the storyline. Well written, a childrenā€™s classic book!
Mr. Roald has written many famous books, including Charlie and the chocolate factory, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and many more.
Garnet

8 Likes

Book Title and Author: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9/10 ( I rarely give perfect scores on anything)

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Inspirational/thought provoking -it is a fantasy novel- however, she does mention the main characterā€™s issue with using magic in part because she denied it and rebelled against it. It made me think of my practice and how much I am actually practicing or am I just expecting my magic to be there without doing the work. There were other aspects but the preceding is what I remember. For my next book review, I will make notes as I read. :grin:

My personal thoughts/opinions: Loved this book!! And the second one too! I am waiting impatiently for the third book from the library. I rarely canā€™t put a book down/ this book it was hard to put it down. I read every chance I got and was disappointed when I finished it.

An interesting quote from the book: " " Sorry, canā€™t think of one off the top of my head and didnā€™t write it down when I had the library book.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes!!!

7 Likes

Well, since I didnā€™t make it past the coverā€¦ quite literallyā€¦

I like the cover, title, & author :rofl: I do plan on being able to re-read it by the end of the next book :open_book: club session though. Itā€™s beenā€¦ quite the rollercoaster :roller_coaster: over the last month & a half.

6 Likes

@BryWisteria Spells8 is first and foremost, of course!
(The rest is for giggles :rofl:) But you did say we could have an ā€˜openā€™ relationship, and that I could see other practitioners! :joy: :crazy_face:
Happy Friday everyone! :blush:

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Your Tarot Toolkit: Simple Activities for Your Daily Practice by Ru-Lee Story.

My overall rating of this book: is 10/10!

How does this book relate to my magical practice?: I wanted to get more out of my single tarot draws.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book is great if youā€™re just getting started in tarot and want to know what to do with your single-drawn card. From comparing the King of Swords to Batman to having affirmations and things to do for each card, itā€™s a great resource!

An interesting quote from this book: ā€œI do believe that tarot has the potential to bring anyone into a closer relationship with themselves. It turns self-reflection into a practice of storytelling and interpretation, and thatā€™s a language that I find is missing in a great deal of current mindfulness/meditation literature.ā€

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes!

6 Likes

Book Title and Author:

ā€œIn Focus Crystals: Your Personal Guideā€ by Bernice Cockram

Status?:

Finished

My overall rating of the book:

7.5/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

I work with crystals for healing and spellwork.

My personal thoughts/opinions:

For a small crystal book (160 pages) itā€™s not too bad! It covers things like (crystal energy, selecting crystals, cleansing crystals, Use crystals for divination work, working with chakras, auras, and the zodiac, crystal grids) plus more! It covers the basics explaining techniques and methods to use in actual practice. The infographics and drawings in this book is super helpful as a go to reference.

An interesting quote from the book:

ā€œBefore the invention of telescopes, the ancient world knew of the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn. These are linked to the chakras and crystals in the following way:ā€

• Base/Root: Mars
  • Sacral: Moon
  • Solar Plexus: Sun
  • Heart: Venus
  • Throat: Mercury
  • Third Eye: Jupiter
  • Crown: Saturn

All in all, would I recommend this book?:

Yes

(you can find this book atā€¦ AbeBooks, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble)

7 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in school, but I donā€™t think I ever read Dahlā€™s The Witches- it sounds like a book close to your heart, Garnet! :blush: Thank you for sharing your review :pray::heart:

As a huge fan of fantasy books Iā€™m really intrigued by this one! Magick in stories may not always follow the same rules as magick in our world, but thereā€™s a lot to be said about what we can learn and be inspired by. It sounds like you found a bit of yourself reflected in the main character here, Phoenix- thatā€™s really neat! :grinning: Iā€™m glad it was such a fun read for you- itā€™s always bittersweet when a book we love comes to an end!

Is it maybe one in a series? Or does the author have other books that might be similar? I hope so, and that you can find another one that you enjoy just as much! :blush:

Hahaha it happens- Iā€™m in the same boat this month, with my book left behind several thousand miles away :sweat_smile: Weā€™ll get to our books eventually, when the time is right! :grin:

Hahaha wishing the same to you, Wysteria- may the new week be off to a wonderful start for you! :grinning: :sparkles:

Another 10/10- woohoo!!! :partying_face: It sounds like a really solid tarot book with helpful advice for building confidence with readings. We get a lot of questions in the forum about how to begin asking questions or doing one-card readings- I think this book has some valuable content! I really love the quote you choose too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks for sharing your review, Amethyst- Iā€™m so glad you enjoyed it! :open_book: :sparkles:

Wow, in 160 pages it sounds like a lot is covered- and hooray for infographics! It sounds like a good overview of crystals and how they relate to/correspond with other areas of magick, such as Zodiac and chakras.

It sounds like worthwhile read- thank you for sharing your thoughts, Missa! :raised_hands: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

I really liked it. I especially like how she described court cards, it really got me thinking for once!

4 Likes

The court cards can be tricky little guys to work out in a reading- I know I still stumble with them from time to time (especially Knights :horse: :thinking:). Always great to find a new approach to reading and understanding the cards- good for you! :blush::two_hearts:

4 Likes

If it makes you feel any better the author connected the Knight of Wands to Hamilton. Not the real one but the one in the musical. It stuck in my head and helped a lot.

4 Likes

Itā€™s the connections like that that help things stick in my mind too- thanks, Amethyst! :raised_hands: :grinning: :heart:

4 Likes

Youā€™re welcome, my love!

4 Likes

The 26th session of the Spells8 Book Club and its review period have closed. But no worries! You can visit the Activities Category to find and jump in the current session of Book Club :open_book: