📝 Spells8 Book Club XXXVIII - Readers' Reviews!

Feel free to share your finished thoughts and reviews from your book last session (May 3 -31) here. For the current book club post, please visit the new session post: Spells8 Book Club XXXIX (Jun 7 - Jul 9)

A warm welcome to all of the Witchy Readers! :open_book:

The latest reading period for Book Club [May 3 - 31] has now ended - thank you to everyone who joined in!

Members & Their Books This Reading Period:

• Ambrosia’s Book of Witch Flight by Jazmyne Ambrosia
    @MeganB

• Mythology for a Magical Life by Ember Grant
    @Amethyst

• The Gospel of Loki by J M Harris
    @tracyS

• Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers and Other Pagans In America by Margot Adler
    @BlueAngelite

• Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers and Other Pagans In America by Margot Alder
    @Mystique

• Ogham How to Read, create and shape your destiny through celtic oracle by Paul Rhys Mountfort
    @celineelise

• Spiral Dance by Starhawk
    @Vermilion_plus_souls

• Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers and Other Pagans In America by Margot Alder
    @Vermilion_plus_souls

• The Ones We Burn by Rebecca Mix
    @BryWisteria

• Inner Witch by Gabriela Herstik
    @hailssstorm

• Mermaid Tarot by Leeza Robertson
    @Kiara_Astra

Even if you are not listed above but you read a book during this reading period/ you decided to read a different book than listed- you are very welcome to share and discuss here too!

Time to share your thoughts with your coven! :star_struck:

This discussion post will serve as a place to share your thoughts and opinions on the book you chose.

• :heart_eyes: If you loved your book and think everyone should read it- awesome! Talk about your favorite points or something you learned.
  • :woman_shrugging: If you didn’t connect with the book- consider explaining why it wasn’t for you.
  • :angry: Absolutely hated your book of choice? Warn others to stay away!

This is a great place to share your love for books and find recommendations for new books to read :+1:

Picture from Canva

Your book review can be as simple or elaborate as you’d like :writing_hand:

If you’re not sure what to talk about, here is a suggested format you can use. Feel free to write as little or as much as you’d like!

Book Title and Author:

Status? : Finished / Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : ???/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

My personal thoughts/opinions:

An interesting quote from the book: " "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No

Remember that your review is uniquely yours- this is a chance to let your opinions and voice be heard :raised_hands:

Please keep in mind that others may have opinions that differ from yours- when responding to the thoughts of others please always show respect! Remember that 100 people will read 1 book and have 100 different experiences. That’s what makes sharing interesting :heart:

What if I didn’t finish my book / joined late? :raised_hand:

No worries!

You are welcome to share your thoughts about the part you have read so far. If you joined the session late and have just started, feel free to talk about your expectations for your book. You can continue reading it into the next reading period.

And whether you read a book or not - you are very welcome to jump in and discuss what others share about their books! :handshake:

Picture from Canva

Deadlines and Dates :spiral_calendar:

You have 5 weeks to share your thoughts and discuss (until the next Readers’ Review Post appears in the forum!)

Deadline for Reviews for this Session: Friday, July 5

While you have plenty of time for reviews, know that the next reading period will begin in one week:

The Next Reading Session will Begin: Friday, June 7

On this day a post will appear where you can announce your next book (or continue with your current reading!).

Until then, you can find more info about the club in the Book Club FAQ.

Picture from Canva

It can be hard to find the time and motivation to read on your own- hopefully book club helped provide a bit of motivation and that it led to some wonderful new knowledge and discoveries in your Craft :books:

Thanks again for joining in and being a part of Book Club! I am so excited to read your thoughts and learn more about the book you spent time with :blush::open_book:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

:books: :heart: :infinite_roots:

8 Likes

Book Title and Author: Drawing Down the Moon

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 3/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: it don’t

My personal thoughts/opinions: this book would be good for those who practice Wicca

All in all, would I recommend this book?:. Only to those who practice Wicca

8 Likes

Book Title and Author:
Mermaid Tarot by Leeza Robertson

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

This is the book that came with my new tarot deck.

The Mermaid Tarot book is really well written and easy to read, which was a pleasant suprise, I’ve had a hard time reading through tarot books before. The artwork is absolutely beautiful! The only complaint I have with this book is the author chose to use Gods and Goddesses as the kings and queens, she spelled one of the Goddesses names wrong.

An interesting quote from the book: “I am going to be totally honest here: mermaids were never reallymy thing. We all tend to gravitate to specific areas of interest that for whatever reason become the things we love. Mermaidsnever really held that sort of interest to me, or at least not consciously. But having now completed this deck, I see how they have always been here-they have always lurked in the water of my subconscious mind, waiting for the right set of conditions to make their way to the surface.” I chose this quote because this is honestly how i feel to after owning this deck.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

8 Likes

I’m still reading mine - it’s interesting, but I just find myself with very little time for reading :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author:
Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers and Other Pagans In America by Margot Adler

Status? :
Finished the section I was reading for this Book Club (Chapters 6-9)

My overall rating of the book : 7/10

The middle chapters of this book were not as mind-blowing as the first chapters for me. These chapters included 6. An Interview with a Modern Witch, 7. Magic and Ritual, 8. Women, Feminism, and the Craft, and 9. Religions from the Past - The Pagan Reconstructionists.
I especially enjoyed the chapter on ritual and the understanding that ritual helps to heal the alienation that we feel from the natural world. Ritual helps us to witness or get better at noticing the interconnectedness of our world. Ritual helps me to slow down and notice things.
The feminist chapter seemed a bit outdated, although this needs to be read as a book written originally in 1979. Still there were thoughts that still remained evergreen, such as what would life look like with a woman political leader? Would things be different? Would there be more focus on human rights, ecology, children, freedom of all religions, women’s healthcare? Do women find refuge in pagan groups because women have more opportunity in leadership positions and more voice?
I felt bogged down by the chapter about small splinter pagan groups, most of which have disbanded by now. Although the section on heathens was interesting, since my church had a pagan gathering where a heathen from the Troth came and explained his beliefs. It was the first time I had heard of heathenry.

“We live in a society where technology is used to diminish human faculties. That is why I say this is a time of darkness. People are turning away from the faculties generally, not because of technology, but because of the head-set of the present society, the present exploitation-oriented culture in which goods are the measure of personal achievement, not the development of faculties.”

“Why do you do a ritual? You do a ritual because you need to, basically, and because it just cuts through and operates on everything besides the ‘head’ level.”

“Matriarchal is a different kind of power, a realm where female things are valued and where power is exerted in non-possessive, non-controlling, and organic ways that are harmonious with nature.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes
I hope to finish the final four chapters in the next book club. :full_moon_with_face:

6 Likes

I’m so glad you are enjoying the book! It just wasn’t for me. That’s what makes such a wide variety of witches in this group wonderful! What don’t work for some may be perfect for others :smiley::smiley::smiley::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

4 Likes

Summer is here and that means I have even more time to read! I have been doing a ton of reading this year, but most of it has been very work driven (blah). I did let myself get swept away this week with a book called Ink Blood Sister Scribe by Emma Torzs. It was so much fun and the ending really caught me off gaurd (I LOVE books that do that!) Here is the blurb from amazon:

For generations, the Kalotay family has guarded a collection of ancient and rare books. Books that let a person walk through walls or manipulate the elements—books of magic that half-sisters Joanna and Esther have been raised to revere and protect.

All magic comes with a price, though, and for years the sisters have been separated. Esther has fled to a remote base in Antarctica to escape the fate that killed her own mother, and Joanna’s isolated herself in their family home in Vermont, devoting her life to the study of these cherished volumes. But after their father dies suddenly while reading a book Joanna has never seen before, the sisters must reunite to preserve their family legacy. In the process, they’ll uncover a world of magic far bigger and more dangerous than they ever imagined, and all the secrets their parents kept hidden; secrets that span centuries, continents, and even other libraries . . .

In the great tradition of Ninth House, The Magicians, and Practical Magic, this is a suspenseful and richly atmospheric novel that draws readers into a vast world filled with mystery and magic, romance, and intrigue—and marks the debut of an extraordinary new voice in speculative fiction.

It was really fun, I read it in about 2 days… I would highly recommend it if you just want a good story to get sucked into!

7 Likes

I am so late at posting this. Sorry! LOL!

Book Title and Author: Mythology for a Magical Life by Ember Grant

My overall rating of the book: 6

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I was looking for a book that would spark my practice when I was burnt out or out of ideas.

My personal thoughts/opinions: Yeah, I forgot I read this book, to tell the the truth. Had to look up what I read. It had some good myths and rituals, but nothing that really called to me.

An interesting quote from the book: “Stories preserve history and convey knowledge; we learn about ourselves by looking to the past, by seeing our mistakes and triumphs, learning (hopefully) from them, and gaining wisdom because our view becomes tempered by the perspective that time gives us. How we view our past changes as time passes, as we also change.”

Grant, Ember. Mythology for a Magical Life: Stories, Rituals & Reflections to Inspire Your Craft (p. 21). Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD… Kindle Edition.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: No, not really.

4 Likes