đź“– Spells8 Book Club XXXVIII (May 3 - 31)

Welcome to all of the witchy book-lovers here in the forum!

:books: :mage: :heart:

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last month’s reading session! For those who haven’t yet shared their thoughts about their book (or anyone who enjoys reading book reviews!) you still have time to do so in :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXXVII - Readers’ Reviews

As of today, the 38th book club reading session has now begun !

spells8 book club

On Your Mark, Get Set, READ! :books:

1. Begin by announcing your book
    The first post below is an editable wiki post- add your book title and name to the list! (instructions below)

2. Know that you have [[ 4 weeks ]] in this reading session
    While it is great if you can finish your book during this time, it is okay if you break it into chapters or sections- do as much as you can and know that doing your best is always good enough!

3. As you’re reading, feel free to share your thoughts!
    You are very welcome to share any thoughts or tidbits while you read in the comments below or in a new post in the forums. Just save the best parts for the final discussion at the end of the reading period!

4. Join the final discussion
    After four weeks, a discussion post will open encouraging all readers to share a review of their book and any personal thoughts they have about it. A mini-review is perfectly fine, and there will be a suggested format for anyone who would like to write a longer review.

Picture from Canva

A note about sharing books:

While everyone is free to choose their own book, you may consider reading along with someone else ! It is fun to share thoughts and insights about different books and even more exciting to do in-depth about a book with fellow readers :handshake:

If the book you plan to read is already on the list below, add your name to the list of others reading that book! Please keep in mind that everyone will reconvene and chat together in the Reader’s Reviews discussion, regardless of which book you read :books:

Not sure what to read?

You can find book recommendations in:

And also:

Reading on a budget?

Free online books can be found in:

Picture from Canva

If you have any questions about Book Club, please feel free to check the Book Club FAQ and/or ask in the comments.

Blessed be and happy reading!

:sparkles: :open_book: :sparkles:

6 Likes

~~ ~~ ~~ This post is a WIKI POST- it is editable by everyone! ~~ ~~ ~~

Please announce your books here :blush:

Example:

• Book Title by Author
    (@) your username

Out of respect to others, please only add/edit your own entry

• Ambrosia’s Book of Witch Flight by Jazmyne Ambrosia
    @MeganB

• Mythology for a Magical Life by Ember Grant
    @Amethyst

• The Gospel of Loki by J M Harris
    @tracyS

• Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers and Other Pagans In America by Margot Adler
    @BlueAngelite (continuation of reading, now doing Chapters 6-9)

• Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers and Other Pagans In America by Margot Alder
    @Mystique

• The Ancestral Power of Amulets, Talismans, and Mascots by Nigel PennicK @celineelise

• Spiral Dance by Starhawk
    @Vermilion_plus_souls

• Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers and Other Pagans In America by Margot Alder
    @Vermilion_plus_souls

• The Ones We Burn by Rebecca Mix
    @BryWisteria

• Inner Witch by Gabriela Herstik
    @hailssstorm

6 Likes

For anyone who has trouble with adding their entry to the wiki post above, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so:

→ How to Edit a Wiki Post (with pictures!)

If you’ve read the instructions but are still having a tough time- no stress at all! For anyone who prefers, I am happy to add you in. Just write your book title and author in a normal post and I will take care of it :blush:

Blessed be! :heart:

7 Likes

I’m going to re-read my favourite Loki book. It’s the sagas written by Loki instead of Snorri :partying_face:. Will be interesting to get my perspective now, as when I first read it, years and years ago, I didn’t know Loki so well. Will it feel different. :thinking::face_with_monocle: This will be fun :rofl::sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Nice @tracyS! I love to re-read books.
I’m continuing my mega-read of Drawing Down the Moon. It is intense and dense, but worth it so far. :closed_book:
I’ve broken it down into three parts so I can get through it: Part 1 (Chap 1-5) I reviewed last book club, Part 2 (Chap 6-9) this book club, and Part 3 (Chap 10-13 and epilogue) for next book club. I’ve gotta take it in chunks. I’m bringing the book on vacation with me so hopefully I will make good progress on the plane.

6 Likes

@BlueAngelite Sounds like a keeper. Looking forward to part 2s review. Have a lovely holiday :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Hi all! I’m currently reading “Spiral Dance” By Starhawk but am having a super hard time adding it to the post and formatting is a struggle with a screen reader. I also plan on starting Drawing Down the Moon." I look forward to joining the conversation! Many blessings!

7 Likes

I got your books added to the list :heart: happy reading!

5 Likes

@Mystique @Vermilion_plus_souls looks like we will be reading together! Happy reading! I hope you enjoy Drawing Down the Moon as much as I have so far.

5 Likes

Looking forward to hearing more about your book!
@tracyS enjoy re-reading th book. I look forward to hearing about it.
@Vermilion_plus_souls excited to hear about spiral dance
Happy Reading everyone :witch_pentacle: :books:

5 Likes

@tracyS It’s so much fun to go back and re-read an old favorite! I’m sure you’ll notice how far you’ve come in your practice since the first read, and might see some information in a brand new light. Have fun and enjoy, Tracy! :open_book: :blush:

@BlueAngelite You’re doing great! Breaking the book into easily-digestible parts is a great way to work your way through it. Good luck and have fun with your reading! :heart:

@Vermilion_plus_souls The wonderful Megan got you added to the list! I hope you enjoy “Spiral Dance” and “Drawing Down the Moon” - happy reading! :cyclone: :full_moon: :sparkles:

@celineelise Happy reading to you - I hope you enjoy “Ancestral Power”! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I read a book for pride month every year and I just got it in the mail - I’m jumping into “The Ones We Burn” by Rebecca Mix. It’s a fantasy adventure featuring witches, mages, and blood magick! :drop_of_blood: :sparkles:

At 400+ pages, it’s a bit of a chonk, so it may take me a while to get through it. But I’m excited :mage:

Happy reading, everyone!

5 Likes

Happy reading @BryWisteria. Look forward to hearing about it!

5 Likes

Thank you, @celineelise! :hugs: :open_book: :heart:

5 Likes

I’m new & can’t seem to figure out how to edit the wiki :sweat_smile::pleading_face: I’m sorry. I’m reading inner witch by Gabriela herstik

7 Likes

No worries, @hailssstorm :tada: I got your book added for you. Welcome to the forum!

6 Likes

Welcome @hailssstorm!

I see that Megan has kindly added you to the list - welcome! I hope you enjoy Inner Witch. Happy reading! :blush: :open_book: :heart:

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum and Merry Meet @hailssstorm ! :herb: :bow_and_arrow: :crescent_moon:

5 Likes

I’m getting through the middle chapters of my book Drawing Down the Moon faster than expected! I only have chapter 9 to read still. So I’m re-reading and marking up the book. I read quite a bit on my flights to and from vacation in Florida. It’s just that kind of book, that you have to take it pretty slow and re-read at times.

@Vermilion_plus_souls and @Mystique I hope you are enjoying the book as much as I am.

I’m trying to do a nice wind-down routine at the end of most days. Light a candle, watch it burn, read some pages, journal. :candle: :closed_book:

Happy reading, all!

5 Likes

Welcome to the community! I am Celine, i love in Portland Oregon and I am eclectic witch. It took me a minute to learn to edit wikis too. We’re glad to have you as a part of coven.

4 Likes

Welcome @hailssstorm ! Glad to have you with us!

4 Likes