📖 Spells8 Book Club XXXII (Oct 6 - Nov 3)

You’re in the right place- and among book-loving friends! :heart::books::blush:

7 Likes

It just dawned on me that I’m still working on The Wee Free Men that I started early July! :flushed: Going to have to get that out while my pibble is a couch potato :potato: & see if I can get back to that one.

10 Likes

Anyone starting a new book? I was hoping to read along with someone

7 Likes

I would if I could decide on one. :joy: Any you have in mind?

6 Likes

@starborn

I was thinking one of these. Might be good for Samhain?
Im open to others too

7 Likes

That’s a difficult choice. :joy: They’re both actually immediately useful to me!

I’m happy for you to pick one if you have a preference. :black_heart:

8 Likes

@starborn I was thinking the same!
How bout Honoring your Ancestors?
I have one short chapter in my current book I’m hoping to finish tonight

8 Likes

Sounds good! :smile: Agreed.

I’m 15 hours ahead of you in terms of time, so I’m currently getting through my workday. But I’ll start reading after. :grin:

8 Likes

I have two books I have to read next, both for review purposes, but I can’t start them yet :sweat_smile: I have no time right now, but I will hopefully soon! Plus, I’m listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman right now lol I’m almost done with that one and it just took the biggest turn that I wasn’t expecting :joy: so I can’t wait to finish it!

I’m glad you were able to get with @starborn and choose a book! Honoring Your Ancestors has been on my TBR list for a bit! I hope you enjoy it!

9 Likes

@Sivonnah Not gonna lie, I totally forgot about the book. :sweat_smile:

It’s officially a post-it note on my main monitor now! These notes are the only ways I really get anything done. No amount of fancy apps or calendars or alerts/notifications/alarms achieve what post-its can. :joy:

9 Likes

I started reading bits and pieces just to see what it’s like, and am thinking I need a break from the intellectual stuff already. :joy:

I read the last part of this:

In Ocha (also called Santería or Lucumí), we honor Egun—a combination of blood and lineage ancestors

As “we honor Egun—a combination of blood and sausages.” :joy:

My stomach’s growling…

10 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXXII - Readers’ Reviews

@starborn I didn’t even finish the intro yet! Lol :laughing:

8 Likes

I’m only on chapter 4! :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Friendly reminder time!

:grey_exclamation: The current reading period will conclude in one week from today (on Friday, November 3) :grey_exclamation:

A Reader’s Review post will appear in the forums at that time for everyone to share their thoughts and hear all about what your fellow coven members have been reading.

I hope everyone is enjoying their reading so far! I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s thoughts and hearing about your books :open_book: :sparkles:

Happy reading and blessed be! :books:

6 Likes

Another possible location for free books is:

I haven’t done much research yet, but one book I found may have been a grimoire which previous viewers couldn’t seem to make heads or tails out of. To find it, you may have to look under the following names because I don’t remember what it was called. blush It may have been under A Witch’s Journal or Halloween.

I was seeking Scott Cunningham and Silver Raven Wolf, but found nothing for either. They did have Ed Leedskalnin, the creator of the Coral Castle in Florida, for download. I also looked up a relative who wrote a biography, Sharon Gabet, and found her book, but it wasn’t a free read.

They do have books in languages other than English.

7 Likes

I feel like I’ve heard of Open Library before! Out of curiosity, I did a little search too and found that:

Open Library is a project of the Internet Archive, a nonprofit organization. It has been funded in part by grants from the California State Library and the Kahle/Austin Foundation. Open Library provides online digital copies in multiple formats, created from images of many public domain, out-of-print, and in-print books.

From Wikipedia: Open Library

From what I can understand, it’s an open online library (funded by CSL) and a non-profit. All in all, a really interesting resource- and they have so many books available to check out, too!

Thank you for sharing, Georgia! :pray: :heart: :books:

6 Likes

Today marks the end of this reading period!

A discussion will soon open up in the forum for everyone to share their thoughts and swap book reviews :open_book:

Please keep an eye on the forums for the soon-to-appear post! :eyes:

:exclamation: The few wonderful reviews already posted here have since been re-homed in the Readers’ Reviews post to make them easier to find!

magic books
Gif from Tenor

Didn’t finish your book or just got started ? No worries!

Feel free to share your thoughts so far and chime in on the reviews that your fellow coven members have shared. You may find a recommendation for a new book! :open_book:

After a one-week review period, the next reading session will begin: Next Friday, November 10th . Feel free to continue reading your current book into the next session or start a brand new book at that time!

Happy reading and reviewing! :books::blush:

4 Likes

This reading session has closed- thank you to everyone who joined in! If you have a book review or comments to share, please do so in the open Reader’s Review post in Activities