đź“– Spells8 Book Club XXXIV (Dec 15 - Jan 12)

Welcome to all of the witchy book-lovers here in the forum!

:books: :woman_mage: :heart:

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last month’s reading session! For those who haven’t yet shared their thoughts about their book (or anyone who enjoys reading book reviews!) you still have time to do so in :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXXIII - Readers’ Reviews!

As of today, the 34th book club reading session has now begun !

spells8 book club

On Your Mark, Get Set, READ! :books:

1. Begin by announcing your book
    The first post below is an editable wiki post- add your book title and name to the list! (instructions below)

2. Know that you have [[ 4 weeks ]] in this reading session
    While it is great if you can finish your book during this time, it is okay if you break it into chapters or sections- do as much as you can and know that doing your best is always good enough!

3. As you’re reading, feel free to share your thoughts!
    You are very welcome to share any thoughts or tidbits while you read in the comments below or in a new post in the forums. Just save the best parts for the final discussion at the end of the reading period!

4. Join the final discussion
    After four weeks, a discussion post will open encouraging all readers to share a review of their book and any personal thoughts they have about it. A mini-review is perfectly fine, and there will be a suggested format for anyone who would like to write a longer review.

Picture from Canva

A note about sharing books:

While everyone is free to choose their own book, you may consider reading along with someone else ! It is fun to share thoughts and insights about different books and even more exciting to do in-depth about a book with fellow readers :handshake:

If the book you plan to read is already on the list below, add your name to the list of others reading that book! Please keep in mind that everyone will reconvene and chat together in the Reader’s Reviews discussion, regardless of which book you read :books:

Not sure what to read?

You can find book recommendations in:

And also:

Reading on a budget?

Free online books can be found in:

Picture from Canva

If you have any questions about Book Club, please feel free to check the Book Club FAQ and/or ask in the comments.

Blessed be and happy reading!

:sparkles: :open_book: :sparkles:

12 Likes

~~ ~~ ~~ This post is a WIKI POST- it is editable by everyone! ~~ ~~ ~~

Please announce your books here :blush:

Example:

• Book Title by Author
    (@) your username

Out of respect to others, please only add/edit your own entry

• Scrying by Mara Silva @Amethyst

• Entering Hekate’s Garden by Cyndi Brannen @Artemisia

• A Walk Through the Forest of Souls By Rachel Pollack @Sabine_Estella

• Witchcraft Therapy: Your Guide to Banishing Bullsh*t and Invoking Your Inner Power
    @Kyrstyn

• The Bible of the Adversary by Michael W Ford @tracyS

• The Night Journey, Witchcraft as Transformation by Yvonne Aburrow @peter3

• The Path of Paganism by John Beckett @BlueAngelite

• Witchcraft Unchained by Craig Spencer @MeganB

16 Likes

For anyone who has trouble with adding their entry to the wiki post above, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so:

→ How to Edit a Wiki Post (with pictures!)

If you’ve read the instructions but are still having a tough time- no stress at all! For anyone who prefers, I am happy to add you in. Just write your book title and author in a normal post and I will take care of it :blush:

Blessed be! :heart:

11 Likes

Witchcraft Therapy: Your Guide to Banishing Bullsh*t and Invoking Your Inner Power
@Kyrstyn

11 Likes

Welcome, @Kyrstyn! :heart: You and your book have been added to the list- I hope you enjoy Witchcraft Therapy :blush: :books: :sparkles:

Blessed reading!

10 Likes

Thank you! :grin: I apparently dont have an edit button at all.

9 Likes

It’s my pleasure! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No worries! It usually takes a few days for new users to gain access to the edit wiki feature (forum features/privileges are rolled out slowly to help new folks adjust, as well as to help prevent spammers in this special place!)- you should be able to see the “Edit” button on wiki posts very soon (if you can’t already) :grinning: :+1:

Make yourself right at home here, Kyrstyn- blessed be! :sparkles:

7 Likes

Sneaking into the post to welcome @Kyrstyn !! Merry Meet!

I’m Kat and am currently located in North Carolina. I am an eclectic Green witch with a deep interest in tarot, runes, herbalism, and moon magic. We’re glad to have you here. :purple_heart: Make yourself comfortable, explore, and feel free to ask questions! :herb: :bow_and_arrow: :hekate_wheel: :crescent_moon:

9 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXXIV - Readers’ Reviews!

All these books sound great! :heart_eyes: I can’t wait to read reviews! If I’d commit to one book I’d join the club this month! :blush::grin:

9 Likes

I’m new here. :grinning: I introduced myself in the Introduction forum but I’m excited to participate in the Book Club! I’m still learning (aren’t we all?). My book is The Path of Paganism by John Beckett and so far it has been recommended to be by two people - a heathen and a druid, so I’ve gotta read it, right!?
I’ve already read one chapter and I do like it as a very introductory book to all paths of paganism, but I think this Book Club will give me the momentum to finish it. I’m planning on “using” this Book Club as an impetus to get through at least some of the pile of books at my bedside table!!!

Hi @Kyrstyn. Your book, Witchcraft Therapy, looks interesting too. I can’t wait to hear your review.

10 Likes

@BlueAngelite I always recommend Path of Paganism to people, hope you like it :grinning:

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Kyrstyn :wave: I look forward to seeing your thoughts on that book! I tried to read it once but I just couldn’t get through it - more about the author’s writing style and less about the content of the book. I’ve heard that it’s helped a lot of people, though!

I’ve added in my book to hopefully finish reading :joy: I wish I could just have audiobooks of everything so I could crochet and read at the same time. This one, though, didn’t come with an audiobook :expressionless: but I’m sure I’ll make it through alright.

10 Likes

@peter3 Thanks. I’m liking it so far, I’ll keep you and the group updated. I have ideas how it could be used in a small group format as an introduction to paganism class of sorts… (still thinking about this). Lots of positive recommendations for the book make me stick with this one! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

@BlueAngelite the followup book by Beckett “Paganism in Depth” is also a good read. His classes offered over Under the Ancient Oaks have been quite helpful to me. I’ve taken them all and John’s always been supportive when I had questions about the material.

8 Likes

@BlueAngelite Welcome! :heart: With recommendations from multiple sides, I’d think the same- and it sounds like it’s off to a great start for you! :grinning: Happy reading- I hope you continue to enjoy The Path of Paganism! :open_book: :sparkles:

@MeganB Sorry there’s no audiobook (maybe someday? Seems like many books are upgrading to audio format too these days!)- I hope you enjoy Witchcraft Unchained, Megan! :books: :blush:

8 Likes

Thanks, Bry! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m not sure if the publisher has that option available yet. They’re a new indie publishing company called Crossed Crow Books! I’m sure it’ll be an option eventually, but this is a book I received for free to review, so I work with what I’ve got :joy:

8 Likes

Love the name! :raven: :sparkles: And I bet you’re right- I’m sure they’ll grow into audiobooks and other formats with time. For now, that’s awesome that you got a free book to review! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it :blush: :open_book:

Happy reading!

7 Likes

Friendly reminder time!

:grey_exclamation: The current reading period will conclude in one week from today (on Friday, January 12) :grey_exclamation:

A Reader’s Review post will appear in the forums at that time for everyone to share their thoughts and hear all about what your fellow coven members have been reading.

I hope everyone is enjoying their reading so far! I’m looking forward to hearing about your books :open_book: :sparkles:

Happy reading and blessed be! :books:

7 Likes

Ugh… I won’t make it again this month. Between getting the flu and now a stomach virus, I haven’t had the time or energy to read :frowning_face:

8 Likes