Starting an Herb garden

We mix manure in with the soils & into our gardens out front during the spring at least. We have friends that own 2 horses, so they are more than happy to let us have some when we are working on the gardens & plants :laughing:

We have to treat our front plants, or at least certain ones because of the little inch worms that will make little holes in all of their leaves. I get a starter soil from my husband’s work, well I suppose he gets it really :rofl:

8 Likes

Thank you, All, for your information and advice. For lack of time and energy to do something more complex, I went with the her garden below. It’s a work in progress, learning in progress situation…

11 Likes

I have a huge pineapple plant that is about 2 years old. If I can get it to live I may have a pineapple in another year. I had to bring it in the house a few weeks ago because we were having a hard freeze. I live in a small house, so now it is living happily on the treadmill. Lol! It’s not like I used the treadmill anyway.

My herb garden is in my flower bed in the front of my house. It faces south and shelters it from the north wind. I did cover it with tarps when we had 17 degree weather (rare for Texas). My rosemary, thyme and rue are doing well. We had a hot dry summer and I had to water everyday just to keep them alive, but they seem to be very resilient. :herb:

11 Likes

Interestingly enough, you mentioned the color of the light & the next day… We needed a new bulb💡

I’ve done good with the other 2 & soil, the only issue currently is… that pot is too heavy for me to move. So hubs in on a new mission & we’ll turn, add, & help out the soil a bit when we can move it to a larger pot. I did add some of that fish plant food to it as it said & it’sperked up a little. Our 1 by the other kitchen window is all kinds of happy right now! :hugs:

9 Likes

WOW! Great pic! What growing zone are you in?

8 Likes

Thankyou :heart: I’m in Indiana.

7 Likes

Cool! I’m in Central Texas zone 8a/8b. Literally. On the line between those two! LOL And I am so intimidated about trying to grow stuff.

8 Likes

No need to be intimidated. It just takes trial and error and some light research when trouble shooting. I didn’t do the best the first couple years. As I had to learn from my mistakes. I buy cheap bags of manure at Menards they seem to do best in that. Then as long as you can dedicate some time every day or two you will do just fine. Literally just remember to water and watch for pests. Then treat any of the pests. Also when watering try to soak the dirt and not the leaves. As the leaves may not dry before the sun hits the next day and burn your crops. Make sure they have good ventilation or drainage. If unsure touch the soil if it’s dry water. Depending on the crop. Watermelon toward end of season water less for sweeter melon. Provide something for any vined plants to climb up. Like extra large tomatoes cages or latus. When starting seeds get a starter tray and start them there. Grow to an inch or so and transplant to their designated spot. Leave enough room for growth . I feed my plants every other week with miracle grow plant food. If I missed anything feel free to ask love :kissing_heart:

And wait till the sun starts to cool down later in the day to water always

9 Likes

WOW! This is excellent information! Do you share your gardening journey on Youtube? Or TikTok? You make an excellent teacher! :smiley: Thank you so much!

8 Likes

Aww that’s so nice of you to say. I haven’t videoed any of it thus far. I do enjoy helping And teaching others very much. Your very welcome. I did get a tripod so maybe I will make some videos when this season comes around. It’d be good practice for public speaking and getting more comfortable in my own skin. :heart:

8 Likes

AWESOME! Please let me know if you do! Would love to be a subscriber! :smiley:

8 Likes

Will do babe. Thankyou that’s so sweet :heart_eyes_cat: :birthday::birthday: :revolving_hearts:

8 Likes

Hey, let us all know, you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :black_heart:

6 Likes