Step-By-Step Guide to Making Your Own Incense

Welcome to the wonderful world of homemade incense! Making your own incense can be a fun and rewarding experience that allows you to tailor your aromatherapy needs to your preferences. If you’re looking to get cozy and create a warm, inviting atmosphere in your home, then making your own incense is a great way to do just that.

To start, you’ll need a few key ingredients: herbs, resins, essential oils, a binding agent (such as gum arabic), and incense sticks or you can shape cones. You can find these ingredients at your local health food store or online. Once you have your supplies, it’s time to get started on making your own incense.

First, decide on the scent profile you’d like for your incense. Are you looking for something floral and calming, or perhaps something warm and spicy? Once you have a scent in mind, gather your herbs and resins that will help create that aroma. Lavender, rosemary, cinnamon, and sandalwood are all popular choices for homemade incense.

Next, you’ll want to grind your herbs and resins into a fine powder. You can use a mortar and pestle for this step, or a coffee grinder works just as well. Make sure to grind your ingredients until they’re a fine powder, as this will help them burn evenly and release their scents more effectively.

Once you have your powdered herbs and resins, it’s time to add your essential oils. Essential oils are potent and concentrated, so a little goes a long way. Start by adding just a few drops of your chosen essential oil to your powdered mixture and mix well. You can always add more oil if you’d like a stronger scent.

Now it’s time to add your binding agent. Gum arabic is a popular choice for homemade incense, as it helps hold the powdered ingredients together and allows them to burn properly. Mix a small amount of gum arabic with water to create a sticky paste, then add it to your powdered mixture and blend well.

Once your incense mixture is well combined, it’s time to shape it into sticks or cones. If you’d like to make incense sticks, roll your mixture into long, thin strips and allow them to dry completely. If you prefer incense cones, shape your mixture into small cones and let them dry on a flat surface.

Once your homemade incense sticks or cones have dried, they’re ready to use! Simply light the tip of your incense and let it burn for a few seconds, then gently blow out the flame. Your incense will smolder and release its fragrant aroma, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere in your home.

Making your own incense is a simple and enjoyable process that allows you to customize your aromatherapy experience. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing scent to unwind after a long day or a warm, comforting aroma to create a cozy atmosphere, homemade incense is a wonderful way to bring the power of scent into your home. So get creative, experiment with different scents, and enjoy the cozy ambiance that homemade incense can provide.

18 Likes

Thank you!!!

12 Likes

Bookmarked and printed!!! Great information, thank you! :incense:

11 Likes

Awesome! :hugs: Thank you :blush::purple_heart:

12 Likes

I love this! Thank you @SilverBear ! I always wondered if I could make my own incense. It sounds pretty easy!

10 Likes

@SilverBear would either guar gum or xanthan gum work?

8 Likes

According to Google guar gum will work. So I got some and made my first incense cones. :grin:Apparently they have to dry first. So it will be a few days before I can try them out.

Thanks for the inspiration @SilverBear :heart:

10 Likes

Wonderful. Thanks for this. I have recently been dabbling in making my own incense. I love the experimentation of it and the satisfaction of “getting it right”. Mines seems to be quite smoky though. They leave a fog in the air :see_no_evil: :joy:

Maybe I haven’t got it quite right afrer all :joy:

10 Likes

Mine smoke a lot too. Sometimes more than others! Depends how big I make the cones too. :slightly_smiling_face: :grin:

10 Likes

Yes Sorry just saw this!

9 Likes

I use the charcoal discs. I think they make more smoke than the actual incense :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

When I was doing research yesterday there was an instruction to put a lengthwise cut into the bottom of the cone to bring the smoke downwards. I am not sure if that will make it smoke less but maybe will make it seem less smokey.

I didn’t do this cut, I put a whole in the top of the cone like another site said to do. I guess I will find out once I try to burn them. That website also said I could just light the incense so I am going to try that too without the charcoal. If that doesn’t work, I may make sticks instead.

@SilverBear no worrie’

10 Likes

A million thank you’s for this recipe! I think I’m going to order me some gum arabic. when it comes in, I’ll grind down some oud & bhakoor and make some cones. I don’t like having to use charcoals in my workspace… kinda messy & a fire hazard, but this is perfect!

8 Likes

I am going to have to retry the recipe. I didn’t add any EO, just the ground herbs.
I burnt it without the charcoal and the smell was of smoke rather than the herbs I intended.
I think I will try making the sticks so it will burn better and will add EO so the smoke smells more like incense rather than, well, smoke.

7 Likes