Substitute for Sweetgrass?

Hi all,
I want to make Florida water, and the recipe mentions sweetgrass, which is something we can’t buy here in the Netherlands.
Is there a substitute I can use?

7 Likes

Hey there :blush: If you’re using this recipe (Florida Water DIY Recipe – Spells8) then there’s actually a whole section a bit further down with a list of herbs you can choose from. Any of these will do. It says to choose at least two from each group.

Aromatic greens:
4 parts fresh Mint
4 parts fresh Basil
4 parts fresh Rosemary

Florals:
3 parts Rose Petals (fresh)
3 parts Jasmine (dried or fresh)
3 parts Lavender (dried)

Citrus:
2 parts Lemon Peel
2 parts Orange Peel
2 parts Lime Peel

Spice:
1-part Allspice Berries
1-part Cinnamon Sticks
1-part Cloves

9 Likes

oh thanks, @MeganB I printed the recipe sheet a while ago and had not bookmarked the page itself. This helps a lot :smiley:

7 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m happy to help :blush:

4 Likes

Also @Rev_Angel, I’d look at the property of sweet grass that it represents in Florida Water. Sweet Grass’ role in Florida Water is for energy purification, healing, attracting positive energy, and good fortune. Select an alternative similar to that for this effect.

Also, a tip is to use the essential oil for any herb you are missing, that will work too!

Alternately, watch this video for a great Florida water - I recently made her version. I’m going down a bit of a spiritual Hoodoo rabbit hole learning all about it lately, and Florida water has many connections to Hoodoo and the Deep South here in USA. I love this priestess’ video and recipe, she also sells it. When I made mine over the weekend I was so happy with it! :green_heart:

9 Likes

Thanks, Jan,
it was hectic here for a few days :slight_smile: This is great I will check that video out. Currently, I am happy to do the daily tea, candle, and one spell, and when I have time I do a few lessons. That is why it took a while to respond. I have a holistic center, and after 2.5 years of Zoom teaching, I am preparing for the first in-person training. Whoohoo, exciting and a lot of work;

5 Likes

That is very exciting @Rev_Angel - may the goddess be with you and have a fabulously eventful training! :woman_teacher:t3:

4 Likes

Thank you so much :smiley:

5 Likes

What is Florida Water and Why Do We Want It? :green_heart:

Florida Water Recipe

These have information on Florida water including diffuser blends & alternate choices for ingredients.

5 Likes

@Rev_Angel Juniper is a great substitute for sweetgrass. If u are wanting it for protection and healing then try a blend of cedar and bay.

5 Likes

Thank you, I have those available :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Rev_Angel u are most welcome. Happy to help

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.