Suggested books or authors?

Good reference material. Oh my, it’s 3:30am and Loki won’t let me sleep until I post this :imp::joy:. I’ll dig out the exact references but they’re in a book called Playing with fire by Dagulf Loptson, they are the Germanic and Anglo Saxon version of the Norse stories. By including their versions aswell as Icelandic, Norway and Denmark, it gives a more rounded picture on how wide and varied the traditions and differences in the stories are. Some of these “histories” were written when Christianity was conquering the then heathen world, so there is a slant on these accounts. (Loki is insisting I put this here as he gets painted in a bad light).
Later on when I get some sleep (please Loki :pray::joy:), I’ll get the German and Anglo Saxon book references. When you combine these with the Eddas it’s brilliant. Sorry if I’m waffling. :sparkling_heart::flushed:

6 Likes

@starborn Thank you I’m really not sure what I’m looking for. I received a second rather loud call from a Norse God and now Im trying to learn as much I can right now and find resources for when I am more able

I have an Audible trial and I figure that’s as good a start as any. Even if I only get the general idea, it’s a start and I’ll get something in a better format when I am able.

There are a few that qualify for the free credit, I’m just not sure what type to go with.

@tracyS Thank you both, I hope Loki let you get some sleep after that.

I’ll keep browsing until you both decide

And I really would rather not read anything that paints Loki in a negative way, maybe if the rest is a must read but one bias (maybe not right word) kinda ruins it for me

7 Likes

The Eddas are an important read as that’s the history, but it’s good to expand to the Germanic and Anglo Saxon references aswell as the Norse religion wasn’t exclusive to just Iceland, it was all over Europe. So you’ll need to refer to the Eddas, I do, just wanted you to be aware there are huge resources from other countries aswell. They call the Norse Gods slightly different names.
Here’s a screenshot of the Eddas authorship, it is essential reading.

I’m digging out the other references too. There’s also comparison in Indian Mythology and Greek too, for example Loki is often compared to Prometheus. It’s a rabbit hole once you start. :joy:.

Also this app is good, on playstore, it’s android only, I don’t know if it’s international :person_shrugging:

I’m curious, which God is calling you :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

On a Loki note, the majority of Norse texts paint him in a bad light. There’s only a limited number that don’t, he does have history lol :joy:so it’s understandable (and I will always defend him sorry so I’m a little biased :grin:). Don’t let it put you off the classical essential reads. It was explained to me this way, "

alot of what went on between Odin and Loki, is Odin and Loki’s business, as is steeped in ancient traditional cultural ways, for example, it was essential to keep honour in the Norse community to avenge ones family, and that included blood ties. So when Odin hurt Loki’s children, it would’ve been essential for Loki to avenge that, hence Ragnarok, (how would you feel if your kids entrails were used to bind you, because you called the gods out on their hypocrisy, worth a thought. And then on Odin’s side, how would he feel with his son being murdered, gets complicated!) and Odin would’ve known that. In the account of Baldur, that was also prophecy, so in that case Loki was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea so to speak, but could he have changed his fate?. So if these gods are real, and I believe they are, don’t put yourself in the middle of disputes they had 100/1000s years ago, they’ve (Odin/Loki) have probably moved way beyond that. Use the ancient texts for a background in the history, and understanding how the gods basic nature, but remember, as we evolve over time so do they." This was from Playing with fire. (I paraphrased it)
:sparkling_heart: hope this helps to explain Loki’s controversial place in the heathen community. :person_shrugging::sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Ok I’ve screenshot a list of primary sources, the Eddas are included. Depending on your study likes (Im not great if it’s to academic), it might be easier to go through pagan portals on kindle.
Pagan Portals Odin, The Norns, Thor, Loki, Freya etc
Also Pantheon The Norse by Morgan Daimler
These books have done the background research for you and are an easy starting point. They’re also trusted authors.
I’ll go now. :joy:. :person_facepalming:

8 Likes

It’s Odin “Oh, that makes it a little easier” No, not so much.

5 Likes

I found it, do you have an opinion if the premium version is worth it. I don’t see it being terribly difficult to talk my husband into it, he’s desperate to find me a hobby or interest that doesn’t include me sitting in this bed and crying. The reviews are mixed as to the premium version

5 Likes

@Nixi I’ve got the premium version. Valhalla+, it’s worth it, I use it everyday. My husband has the premium version too. I think I paid £3.99. It’s a one off payment. It has all the Eddas and legends and stories. I’ve never had any problems with it, I learn the runes on it too.

Odin eh. What a privilege. He’s lovely. Definitely get the book by Morgan Daimler, and pagan Portals. Funny thing with Odin, when you make an offering to Odin, it goes through Loki aswell and vice versa. He’s the master of the runes too, so often I’m talking to Loki through the runes and Odin will answer. :grin::sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

@Nixi Here’s screenshots of my Valhalla+ app so can see it, roughly, before you pay anything.

Hope this helps :heartpulse:

8 Likes

@tracyS Given my current resources my choices would be:

A modern Heathens Guide to Norse Paganism - Quinby C Larson

Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman

Opinion?

3 Likes

Ok. Neil Gaiman is the history and all you need to know about the Norse Gods and their stories, so if you don’t know alot, here’s where you start.

Modern Heathens guide is how to apply the above in today’s world.

:sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

@tracyS and @starborn have given you some good resources, for sure! I’d also like to add that a lot of the source material, such as the Prose and Poetic Eddas, are available online for free since they’re out of copyright. You can find them in Sacred Texts as well as other Icelandic Sagas, stories, and poems.

Icelandic - Sacred-Texts

4 Likes

Free is good. Thanks for the link @MeganB :partying_face:

3 Likes

You’re very welcome! :blush: :tada: :hugs:

3 Likes

I am a purist in general.
I have to recommend the original works, for example The Prose Edda: Tales from Norse Mythology by Snorri Sturluson
At least read the direct translations first, before you read third hand translations.

Also, in Scandinavia at the time, runes were not read in the reverse. That’s a modern Western thing. So I go by the traditional upright meanings.

But here’s the CAVEAT: All divination is INTUITIVE. So, if you want to read or understand these things in that way, if that’s what your psyche is telling you to do, then that’s how you do it!

8 Likes

Do you know of anyone that would be interested in the original hardcopy Icelandic texts?
Thanks

4 Likes

@Wysteria_Norn My gosh, you have them? I don’t know. I can’t read Icelandic or are they translated? :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Original. In Icelandic

Would you happen to know of anyone or group that may want to purchase them?
If you, or anyone else, should hear of anyone please let me know. Thank you!

4 Likes

@Wysteria_Norn Beautiful. I will ask around. Maybe a museum of Nordic histories if you have a place where you are. There’s the Heathens of Yorkshire here in England, I can enquire. Lovely book. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Love this app!

Thank you

4 Likes