Summer Solstice Stonehenge

Hi All,

Not sure if someone has posted this already but as the Summer Solstice celebrations at Stonehenge have been cancelled, they are steaming the sunset live on Sat 20th June and the sunrise Sun 21st June.

If you cant join in live they are uploading recordings too. I’m gutted we can’t go; we only live 50 mins away and were going to make a weekend of it and go for a swim in the springs and climb up Glastonbury Tor.

I suppose there’s always next year! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

50 mins away! You’re so lucky to live so close!! I’m on the other side of the planet!! :laughing:

I like this website StonehengeSkyscape.co.uk to get a live view of the site in real time!

But I guess this year it’s going to be a unique experience (although online) since there’s going to be zero crowds. :relieved:

7 Likes

Yes it’s definitely going to be a bit different this year! :blush: Yes we really are very lucky!

7 Likes

When I go to the UK in 2023 my friend wants to do the full moon at Stonehenge! I think that would be so exciting to see!

4 Likes

What time of the year are you going?? Watching a full moon (and maybe a sunrise?) there is one my dreams!!

Stonehenge is believed to be an astronomical observatory (the most popular date being midsummer) but the winter solstice seems to be a good date too! :sunrise:

It is thought that the winter solstice was actually more important to the people who constructed Stonehenge than the summer solstice. The winter solstice was a time when most cattle were slaughtered (so they would not have to be fed during the winter) and the majority of wine and beer was finally fermented. - Source

3 Likes

@Francisco I am going for the month of October in 2023. I’m really excited, I think the sunrise afterward would be amazing too!

3 Likes