Summer Squash, Bacon, and Mozzarella Quiche

Here’s something that would make a good brunch for the upcoming holiday. Hope y’all like it!

Summer Squash, Bacon, and Mozzarella Quiche

Recipe Summary
hands-on: 25 mins
total: 2 hrs 40 mins
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Ingredients:

Crust:

6 ¾ ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
¼ cup ice water
Cooking spray

Filling:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices yellow squash
2 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices of zucchini
¼ cup chopped shallots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 large egg whites
3 large eggs
¾ cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Step 1

To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor, and pulse 2 times or until combined. Add butter and shortening; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor on, add ice water through the food chute, processing just until the mixture is combined (do not form a ball). Press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap, and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Step 2

Preheat oven to 400°.

Step 3

Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp flat surface. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Place dough in the freezer for 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can easily be removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap, and fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap from dough. Fold edges under, and flute. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Step 4

Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

Step 5

To prepare the filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add squash, zucchini, shallots, and thyme; saute for 5 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender, stirring frequently. Cool the squash mixture slightly.

Step 6

Combine 1 cup reduced-fat milk and the next 5 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Arrange the squash mixture evenly over the crust, and sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour the egg mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack.

Nutritional Facts:

Per Serving:
265 calories; fat 14.1g; saturated fat 6.3g; mono fat 4.3g; poly fat 1.5g; protein 11.2g; carbohydrates 22.4g; fiber 1.2g; cholesterol 90mg; iron 1.7mg; sodium 556mg; calcium 134mg.

Recipe courtesy of My Recipes.

Enjoy!

10 Likes

Geez, Amethyst! Hope you’re happy, I just drooled on my keyboard!
Yum! Yum! Yum!

4 Likes

HEE! Glad I got that reaction out of you. It sounds as if it would be good.

4 Likes

Yum! And did you say you wanted us there for Brunch this next holiday??? :joy::wink:

4 Likes

I’m with @Garnet and @Rowan- this recipe is mouth-watering! :drooling_face: :two_hearts: Sounds like a lovely entree for a witchy Beltane brunch! :grin::plate_with_cutlery:

Thanks for sharing for recipe treasures, @Amethyst!

3 Likes

Sure! LOL. I’m sure I can fit everyone in my teeny tiny apartment. We’ll have to take turns sitting though. :joy:

Thanks @BryWisteria! I’m glad you liked it!

4 Likes

Lol, sounds Cozy. I’ll bring folding chairs!!:partying_face:

4 Likes

I wish I liked squash because this recipe sounds so good! It’s a texture thing with me. I can’t get past it with any squash. I will 2nd bring folding chairs or maybe some beanbag chairs. We can be close & cozy all together.

3 Likes

And sing Kumbaya…
Or one of my faves…the campfire song!
Hit it!
Let’s gather round the campfire and sing our Coven song,
Our C-O-V-E-N Song…
Eating Squash and Cheesecake as we Cast along.
Okay so maybe songwriting isn’t my talent…

4 Likes

@Rowan I think you did a great job writing… now someone else come up with the next verse :rofl:

4 Likes

That sounds super delicious, now i’m super hungry :smile:

4 Likes

I found some other quiche recipes, maybe I’ll post one of those later on. And yes, bring some chairs. Just not too many, I don’t think my apartment can fit more than four more. LOL.

That’s cute! But I’ve never heard the campfire song so I can’t help you finish it up.

Glad I made you hungry! Well, not really, I wouldn’t want you to be hungry but I’m glad you liked the recipe!

4 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth::laughing::joy:

3 Likes

Oh my goodness songwriting can definitely be added to your long list of talents, @Rowan! I love this so much! :heart: :joy::+1:

3 Likes

Okay, that was weird. :joy: Cute but weird. I’ve never really watched Spongebob so yeah, I can’t sing that fast. LOL. Thanks for the share @Rowan!

3 Likes

Thank you :joy: @BryWisteria , Spongebob was on loop for years as my daughter’s were growing up. :laughing:
You’re Welcome @Amethyst !
Lol

3 Likes

To be honest, I won’t eat zucchini or lima beans, or asparagus, because, well, they’re green. You may now laugh.

4 Likes

I don’t do asparagus, they smell funny to me. So nope, won’t be laughing, you have a good reason.

4 Likes

This is so awesome :joy: :joy: I knew what song it was before I saw the video cause my kids were fans of Spongebob lol :joy: I’d like to think id be Spongebob in this scenario but I fear my fast singing skills would be attuned with Patrick or Squidward :joy:

5 Likes

:rofl: :joy: I think I’d compare mine to Sandy!

5 Likes