🌞 Sunshine Oil Recipe || Again

I wrote about an oil blend I was making a couple of weeks ago that I call Sunshine Oil. Well, that particular one did not pan out the way I wanted it to because there was still moisture :droplet: in the orange peels and that is no good when making infused oil :herb:

I was inspired to make this oil after the frustration, stress, and just general awfulness that was our move. The days were filled with irritation, lots of cuss words, one extremely drunken night, and many, many tears. – Sunshine Oil || Potion Making

The recipe for the original Sunshine Oil :sunflower: is still good to use, but I did not have another orange to use so I improvised with essential oils. This is another recipe you can use instead of waiting to infuse your carrier oil with dried oranges.

Ingredients Needed

:orange_heart: Carrier Oil (I used sesame oil)
:orange_heart: Tangerine Essential Oil
:orange_heart: Orange Essential Oil
:orange_heart: Glass Dropper Bottle (it is very important to use glass with citrus oils)

Instructions

:orange_heart: Cleanse your supplies with your preferred method. I use the smoke of dragon’s blood incense and surround every item with it. I even fill the bottle with smoke to cleanse the inside. Be sure that your bottle is completely dry because you do not want moisture in with your oil. Moisture breeds bacteria and will make your oil go bad fast.

:orange_heart: Add up to three drops of each essential oil in the glass bottle.

:orange_heart: Top off with your carrier oil.

:orange_heart: Give the glass a shake to mix the oils together.

:orange_heart: Hold the jar in your hand and push your energy into the oils with your intention. I like to envision an orange light for my energy in this recipe to infuse the oils with the warmth and peace I want it to bring.

:orange_heart: Place your glass dropper bottle in the sunlight for no more than 30 minutes :sun_with_face:

:orange_heart: When you need to use it, place a drop or two on your wrists and rub them together. You could also place a drop or two on your neck, behind your ear, or on your temples. As you do this, remember the energy the oil holds and draw upon that for your day.

Now, I said above that it is very important that you use a glass bottle for this oil blend. Citrus oils can be very corrosive and storing them in plastic long-term is not a good idea. Honestly, storing any essential oil in plastic is not a good idea, but citrus is the most important.

I also said above that you should leave this in the sunlight for no more than 30 minutes. This is because you want to keep most essential oils out of direct sunlight for long periods of time because it can cause them to oxidize and go bad.

One other very important thing to remember about citrus essential oils specifically is that they increase photosensitivity. What is that? Well, it means that it increases the effects of the sun on your skin.

Certain essential oils, especially expressed citrus oils, can contain constituents such as furocoumarins, coumarins, and linalol/linalool, which are potential photosensitizers.

This means they can cause serious skin damage when exposed to the sun such as redness, itching, burns, blisters, and permanent skin discoloration. And that’ll definitely put a damper on your fun in the sun.

Some reactions to photosensitivity may not occur until several hours after application. Repeated exposure can even lead to long-term issues such as basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers or even more malignant changes such as melanoma.

Source

This is why I stated that you place this oil on your wrists, your neck, or behind your ear. These places on your body are not usually in direct sunlight. However, always use caution and figure out what is best for yourself, your lifestyle, and your skin.

Disclaimer: It is important to seek medical or psychiatric care when needed. Magic, spells, potions, and spiritual practices should not necessarily be used as a sole treatment method for any physical or mental illness or ailment.

Sources for Essential Oil Safety

:sunflower: What is Photosensitivity? - American College of Healthcare Sciences
:sunflower: How to Store Essential Oils – Stillpoint Aromatics
:sunflower: Can I Bottle Essential Oils In Plast? – Bottle Store
:sunflower: Tips on Storing Essential Oils – Young Living

10 Likes

I’m going to have to see what I have for citrus oils. I know I have orange. I love the sunshine & anointing myself with Sunshine Oil just seems right to me!

5 Likes

I love the way the sunshine feels on my skin, so on those rare days that we don’t have any sunshine :sun_with_face: here in Florida, this oil just smells like sunshine to me and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :laughing:

4 Likes

Thanks for the post. I think I know someone who would love to have some of this stuff on hand.

5 Likes

You’re welcome!

4 Likes

I’m definitely going to have to make some now, I would love to smell like sunshine! :sun_with_face: :sunflower:

4 Likes

Yay! Let me know how it goes for you!

4 Likes

I feel cheery even just by looking at the pictures of this lovely oil- you’ve really captured a bottle of sunshine and happiness, @MeganB! :grin: :sun_with_face:

Thank you for the lovely recipe and also for your helpful tips and experience- for those of us with very sensitive skin, that’s a very important point about the light sensitivity! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom :pray: :heart:

3 Likes

You’re welcome! Now when I carry it around in my pocket, I can sing the song…

:musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: I got a pocket, got a pocket full of sunshine :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

That’s perfect! :joy::sun_with_face: :two_hearts:

4 Likes