Sweet Potato Soup

Here’s a healthy soup! I promise to stop spamming y’all with the Turkey Day recipes after tomorrow. Let me know if there’s some other type of recipes you’d like! I’ll find them for you.

Sweet Potato Soup

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Servings: 4 people

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
3 carrots, sliced
1 yellow onion
1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 cups vegetable broth, or more for a thinner consistency

Garnish

watercress
pistachios
coconut cream or yogurt
red pepper flakes
cracked black pepper

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large stockpot on medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and carrots and stir frequently for 6-8 minutes, or until the carrots have softened slightly.

Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and paprika. Stir for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.

Add the diced sweet potato and vegetable broth. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, add a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender.

Use a ladle to transfer the soup ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend on high for one minute or until creamy. You can add more broth or water for a thinner consistency.

To serve, pour into a bowl and garnish with coconut cream or yogurt, chopped pistachios, red pepper flakes, cracked black pepper, and watercress.

Tips:

Try not to exceed 1 1/2 pounds of sweet potato, otherwise, you may exceed the maximum fill line on your blender.

Remember that you can always add a little water or broth as necessary to achieve a thinner consistency.

Nutrition:

Calories: 254kcal, Carbohydrates: 45g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1069mg, Potassium: 760mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 13g, Vitamin A: 32374IU, Vitamin C: 9mg, Calcium: 75mg, Iron: 1mg

4 Likes

I love sweet potatoes but have never had it in a soup. Im eager to try this. Thank You

4 Likes

Delish! I love a good sweet potato soup :heart_eyes: pistachio and coconut cream garnish? Gosh :drooling_face:

2 Likes

You’re welcome @brad1! A friend of mine on Dreamwidth suggested curry powder to give it a little kick.

Hee! Glad I could make you drool love!

3 Likes

This sounds decadent and watercress as a garnish!? Why didn’t I think of that before!? :laughing: I’ve been on a watercress kick lately- salads, soups, throwing it into just about everything, even tacos! :taco: It’s really tasty and nutritious- I’ll definitely be trying it out as a garnish!

Thanks @Amethyst- I appreciate all the Thanksgiving inspiration! :turkey:

2 Likes

I’ve never even seen watercress in the produce department in my local stores but it sounds like it would be good. Like a little mini salad or something.

Glad you like the Thanksgiving inspiration. I’ve got a great leftover recipe for tomorrow and then… Yule recipes! LOL. :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Yes aren’t watercresses so good!!!??!! I’ve always loved them in soup or just fresh.

2 Likes

I love sweet potatoes! I haven’t heard of it as a soup but I’ll definitely try it! There’s a first for everything, right! Thanks love!

2 Likes

You’re welcome Sweetie! I hope you like it!

1 Like

Nice recipe! Thank you @Amethyst for the recipes that you post for us!

1 Like

Good reason to make soup even if Thanksgiving is over!
Thanks Kassie for the food for the soul!
Jeannie

2 Likes

You’re welcome, sweetie! I’m glad y’all like them!

I’ve got the perfect soup recipe for today! I’m glad you like them!

2 Likes

I love new recipes to try, sometimes you need something new to keep the older ones from getting boring! Spice up the kitchen and food repertoire!

2 Likes

I even found a neat Earl Grey tea cookie recipe for Monday! Makes me wish I could bake.

2 Likes