The Importance of Baking Bread 🍞

I have never been much of a baker. Growing up, I always wanted to be that person that made everything from scratch, that always had a fresh-baked loaf of bread, and that made cookies and brownies from scratch instead of from a box. No matter how hard I tried, though, it never worked for me.

I made sugar cookies one year for Christmas and they were…okay. I got comments about how they could taste the flour or the baking soda wasn’t mixed in all the way. Nothing really constructive…just criticism.

Image Source: Pixabay

These comments deterred me from baking, really. I’m the type of person that doesn’t like to be wrong or look stupid. It’s a mental health and trauma thing and I’m working on it, but hearing these comments in a way that wasn’t constructive criticism got me down in a way that I wasn’t comfortable with. So, I just gave up.

Over the years, this has changed. I have found some level of comfort in the kitchen - as long as I’ve got a base recipe to follow - and I’ve grown to enjoy baking and cooking from scratch. Normally things work out well. Sometimes they don’t. The important thing that I’ve learned, though, is that this is important to me. This is something I enjoy doing. I enjoy making these things and I enjoy it when my family likes what I make.

Image Source: Pixabay

So, baking bread is important to me for reasons that I can’t quite put into words. The art of baking has made me more confident in my skills, but it also gives me a connection to my ancestors in a way that makes me feel good.

This LĂşnasa, baking bread is one thing I am thankful for. I plan to do much more of it from here on out - trying new recipes, new flavors, and new methods. The connection to myself, my heritage, and my ancestors through baking a simple loaf of bread is astounding and definitely worth the mess I make in the kitchen.

8 Likes

Ive never made bread before! I have made pretzels in cooking class when I was in high school, that was fun! But i’m glad you enjoy baking bread and having such a strong connection with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At this point, I think everyone should try baking bread at least one point in their life. It just feels good :blush:

1 Like

I loved this post @MeganB!!

It really puts into words the importance of having some positive/appreciative criticism when doing something, even if it’s just a hobby! :purple_heart: :blue_heart:

At home we take turns, one meal each (my wife and I) and we eat out once a month max, so having recipes to follow is a must! We have a spreadsheet with a bunch of them. Mine are the ones with the most meat :laughing: (meatballs, schnitzel, woks, empanadas!)

3 Likes

A beautiful lesson, @MeganB! :two_hearts: If you find enjoyment in something- that’s all the reason you need to stick with it! :bread: Keeping making that bread and having fun in the kitchen! :woman_cook::heart:

1 Like

Thank you! I definitly plan on it :laughing: one reason I think I enjoy it so much, besides the connection I have to it, is that when I make it myself, I know exactly what’s in it. I know all ingredients and I don’t have to worry about getting something that has other ingredients that just don’t sit well with me.

Yes! If it was constructive I don’t think it would have bothered me too much because I can appreciate the fact that constructive criticism is meant to help and build the skills. Criticism on its own is no fun for anyone involved lol

3 Likes

So very true! :+1: It was quite the eye-opener for me when I realized how much extra goes into food- even at very reputable restaurants! :eyes: My cousin worked at a cafe and told me they even added salt to the salads to make them tastier- not good for someone watching their blood pressure! So much extra butter, sugar, and salt… I agree that it’s much healthier to make food at home and control exactly what goes into it! :bowl_with_spoon:

Not to mention that homemade food tastes much better, since it’s always made with love! :bread: :grin: :two_hearts:

3 Likes