The Magical and Medicinal Properties of Queen Anne's Lace + Safety Tips

You see this plant everywhere if you frequently pass through ‘empty’ areas that consist of farm fields, woodlines, and tall wild grasses. Its a very useful flower and root, that people have used for food and jam making! Also known as Wild Carrot, or by it’s latin name Daucus carota, one wouldn’t suspect this seeming weed had a role in magick. I know I didn’t!

The name Queen Anne’s Lace comes from an old myth about Queen Anne pricking her finger with her needle as she was making lace, blood falling upon it. This is why the flower cluster has a single purplish-red bloom in the center, amongst the white florets.

Here is an article excerpt outlining the properties and uses of this plant:

"Although the flower is used in fertility magic, the seeds were once used as a “morning after” treatment to provoke a miscarriage, as the seeds can bring about the menstrual cycle. Queen Anne’s lace flowers were once brewed into a concoction that was used as a daily skin wash and to treat complexion problems.

The flowers of Queen Anne’s lace can be used in fertility magic, and can also be used to increase lust, sexual desire and potency for men. Along with oil, you can anoint a candle with Queen Anne’s lace when trying to improve your chances to conceive. It can also be used to bring about spiritual clarity, and increase intuition and insight while keeping you grounded.

Planting Queen Anne’s lace around the house can increase psychic power, and placing the dried stems and flowers in a sachet under your pillow can encourage psychic dreams. Queen Anne’s lace can be made into a tea that can help lessen the severity of hangovers and assist in the treatment of diabetes." Source

As always, be careful before consuming any plant, especially when you don’t know if you’re allergic, or if it interacts with your medications. The article doesn’t list what parts of the plant are used, so I will update when I find that tidbit out. :heart:

–Safety Notice–
Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum) is nearly identical in appearance. As this plant is a problem in my area, I can outline the big differing characteristics and handling precautions.

–If you forage for Queen Anne’s Lace, plant please WEAR GLOVES IF YOU TOUCH THIS PLANT, ESPECIALLY WHEN HANDLING THE ROOT! Poison hemlock roots contain a concentrated alkaloid toxin and it is skin absorptive!

Poison Hemlock is infamous for looking almost identical to many common medicinal/magickals in the Apiaceae family. Yarrow, Angelica, Anise, Chervil, and Queen Anne’s lace are the easiest to mix up!

All parts of this plants are toxic. Root, Stems, Flowers, Seeds, Leaves. The toxins have an affinity for affecting the nervous system, both central and peripheral, and cause reaction within two hours of intaking this plant. this plant is lethal, and I would rather everyone be informed, as it is certainly thriving! My state, and county have actually been warning folks because this plant has had a huge population boom!

– Identifiers of Poison Hemlock–

Smooth purple or dark spotted stem, the stem is hollow and is coated with a thick white bloom (its waxy. very waxy.)
feathery leaves, that are pinnately compund (about 3 - 4 times)
Leaves have a pungent odor, much like urine.
Flowers are arranged in the classic umbel shape of the carrot family (Apiaceae).
Taproot is faintly scented and the plant overall has a musty smell.
Grows up to 9 feet (3 meters) in height.

[Queen Anne’s Lace]

(Image from minnesotaseasons.com)

[Poison Hemlock]

(image from garden.org)

These plants are very similar, keep an eye out for a red blossom and the smell of carrots, and avoid the plant that has no red blossom and smells like a toilet! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Editing to blur out potentially triggering language! I apologize!

8 Likes

I remember Queen Anne’s Lace from fields nearby my house growing up- whenever I wanted to make a floral bouquet, it was one of the hardest plants to pick. Really tough stems! :laughing:

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom about this plant, @Velle, as well as the very helpful information about it’s poisonous look-a-like. The notes and warnings are very much appreciated- thanks for helping to keep everyone safe! :heart:

8 Likes

Thanks! I see the poison hemlock a lot with weeds and overgrown grass/plants. I always thought it was pretty lol

7 Likes

I shudder to think how many hemlocks I played with as a kid thinking they were Queen Anne’s Lace. Thanks for the safety tip because I did not know that they looked the same!

6 Likes

@BryWisteria Yes! When I was growing up I always thought it was such a pretty weed, and never would have guessed how useful it was! And the stems are SO tough! :joy: It was like trying to break a tree branch to my tiny self! This stuff grows all over my grandmother’s backyard! Also, it’s no trouble! :relaxed: I feel an obligation to share this information to keep people safe and healthy! Especially because herb usage has seen a huge boom in recent years!

@christina4 Hemlock is definitely a beautifully terrifying plant when you think about how it has evolved and adapted by masquerading itself as helpful medicines and food plants! Nature is certainly interesting. You would think it would have picked a different appearance in conjunction with the toxin to be like “don’t eat me!” But instead it said “yeah go ahead, try a bite, you’ll regret it though!” Perhaps the toxin was in response to deer and other grazing animals. :thinking:

@Amethyst I know right?! I had no idea myself until I started learning herbalism! As soon as I had found out, I told my grandmother because she uses Queen Anne’s to make jam, and I warned her again when warnings came out because of Hemlock’s population boom!

I believe I will make another thread going over Elder, and Poison Hemlock’s sister, Water Hemlock! Then later, another post going over Foxglove and the many useful plants it gets confused with, so keep an eye out if you’re interested in these topics! As always, please be safe when purchasing or gathering your own plants if you intend to ingest them! :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

That’s a good point. I’ll have to look in my heavy a$$ book of the encyclopedia of herbs that I just got…it’s old school with some notes in it that are pretty valuable.

6 Likes

You have the heart of a healer, Velle :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hooray! :partying_face: Looking forward to reading more of your herbalism posts- I’ll keep an eye out for them whenever they’re ready :green_heart: :blush:

6 Likes

May I ask what the title of this book is? :heart_eyes_cat: And are the notes the kind that are hand-written in by a previous owner, or are they notes printed in the book itself when it was published? :eyes: I LOVE old books, especially ones that have handwritten notes in them :heart_eyes_cat: I think that heavily annotated book in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is 10000% the reason that movie is my favorite one of all the HP movies :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

8 Likes

It’s called the Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine. It doesn’t have herbs by order but illnesses by order and how to treat them naturally. I think it was a healer of some sort because they had some helpful notes. The notes were in the person’s handwriting. I like that too. Picking at somebody else’s brain. Lol

8 Likes

LOL. I love this thread. Great pictures, great history, great background. Wish it grew in my area.

7 Likes

I love Queen Anne’s Lace! It grew wild around our house and in the country side of western NY. Great farm country 50-60 years ago.
I always said, when I die, don’t buy expensive flower arrangements but Queen Anne’s Lace and Black eyed Susan’s would be perfect.
Oh, and thanks for blurring out some sentences to protect our … um… ah…sensibilities … .Ha ha

6 Likes

Queen Anne’s Lace and Black Eyed Susans are such a pretty combination :pleading_face:

And yeah it didn’t even cross my mind how the first line I blurred could effect others until after I had posted and I went “OH I should spoil that :grimacing:” the second line was blurred solely because I wasn’t sure if it was too inappropriate, so I covered it just to be safe :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I usually blank most of my long winded papers because I think some of it could be misconstrued as judgmental.

5 Likes

That is so cool :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat: Where did you find that treasure?

3 Likes

Same. LOVE old books with writing in them. I have an old copy of Call of the Wild that started life in a school library and school children have written love notes in it and funny little poems (if you steal this book of knowledge, you will go to Sing Sing college). LOL. It’s like little bits of a person are embedded in the pages

7 Likes