The reason Pantheon's disappear

The reason Pantheons disappear.

This paper was written in haste, with multiple sources. Any mistakes are mine, and mine alone.

I’ve wondered more than once, why a multitude of cultures developed a complex, abstract belief system only to have it disappear from the anals of history. Reasons? Unknown.
So I dug further back and the Egyptian Pantheons caught my eye. Baste, Isis, Hathor, etc. They also had a creation myth. But they weren’t the first.
Stonehenge is a famous prehistoric monument in Wiltshire England. It is believed to have been constructed 5000 years ago. 3000-2000BC. Its purpose is still unknown as is its builders.
A new study published in the Journal Scientific Reports, revealed that 40% of the people buried at Stonehenge came from Wales. As did the bluestone used to build it.
How many Britannic religions came through the Henge? The Druids? The Celts? Stonehenge inspires awe and fascination—but also intense debate some 4,600 years after it was built by ancient Britton’s who left no written record. There have been wonderful myths and legends, but when does myth become legend and legend fact?
Archaeological investigation of the site dates back to the 1660s, when it was first surveyed by antiquarian John Aubrey. Aubrey wrongly credited Stonehenge to the much later Celts, believing it to be a religious center presided over by Druid priests. There are many theories about its use, was it a Holy Site or Scientific Observatory? Was it a place of healing, ancestor worship? Some argue that Stonehenge is a spacecraft landing area for aliens, and even more say it’s a giant fertility symbol in the shape of female genitalia.
A team lead by Tim Darvill of Bournemouth University, U.K., announced in 2005 that it had located the quarry the bluestones came from, only for another study to suggest the stones had made the journey earlier, powered naturally by ice age glaciers. Just guesses and conjecture.
History And Mystery Behind The Origin Of Stonehenge - WorldAtlas
Africa has been involved in many Wars,
North to south, Black pharaohs against Egyptian pharaohs, Religion, land, slaves and generally war like peoples. Oh, let’s not forget greed.
The Great Pyramid used to be the tallest man-made structure The Great Pyramid, also known as the Pyramid of Khufu was built around 2,550 to 2,490 B.C. Khufu was the second Pharaoh of the 4th dynasty and the Pyramid of Khufu was erected for him by his son and grandson. Very little information has been documented about him by far as nothing has remained over the years and the accounts of his reign were written long after he had died. This structure was the tallest, standing at 481 feet of height, till the Lincoln Cathedral was built in 1311 CE. The Cathedral was the tallest as it was 525 feet high.
The Great Pyramid has shrunk over the years. Due to soil erosion over the 4000 years that it has existed, the Pyramid has become shorter by at least 25 feet.
Time slows down around the pyramids It sounds like something that you hear in science fiction movies, but time does slow around the Pyramids of Giza. This is because of their mass, Stephen Hawking mentions that they are so massive that they are able to affect gravity. That brings a very minute difference in time. This phenomenon is known as Gravitational Redshift and occurs because of any heavy objects. These objects have the ability to distort the fabric of space-time and make time run a little slower. This means that your wristwatch will tick slower near the Pyramid than someone who is standing further away from the structure.
We don’t know how they were built– The Pyramids of Giza have been subjects of innumerable studies but none of the studies has been able to come to a conclusive answer as to how these pyramids were actually built
There are more Pyramids than you think– There are not just 10 or 15 pyramids in Egypt, there are over 130. Why they were constructed in such a large number all over the country is something we still have not been able to figure out fully. However, we do know that they had various functions and were very important to the culture in the era they were built. Experts also say that it is possible to unearth and discover more and more pyramids in the years to come.
The Pyramids used to shimmer– The pyramids were not always as we see them today, they were polished with limestone white casting which made them shimmer and glimmer in the sunlight. The passage of time that they have endured has taken the shine away from them as the material has fallen off due to many reasons such as theft, earthquakes etc. The pyramids, in their original state, used to look like jewels, shining brightly in the daytime.
The mystery of the sphinx– There is a lot of conjecture about why the Sphinx was constructed, what it does, and also about its position with respect to the Great Pyramid.
The Assyrian Empire (at its peak was known as the 4 corners of the world. ) and Egypt made war for for many years, over land, water, what ever. Religious wars also were not uncommon. When Assyrian Empire won, the Egyption Parthenon diminished. When Egypt won, The Assyrian Parthenon became diminished. Egypt was invaded many times and the winners became their overlords.
Alexander the Great was charmed by Egypt and its people. When he left there were strong cultural and historical ties between the two nations, from ancient to modern times, especially since the creation of the city of Alexandria, on the Eastern Mediterranean Sea’s Coast and the rich heritage strengthened further the bonds between the two nations, in addition to the Ptolemaic dynasty which ruled Egypt for 275 years, Egypt and Greece today enjoy warm diplomatic relations and consider each other a friendly nation. Egypt had also a sizable Greek community, mostly centered on Alexandria, which is today Egypt’s third largest city and also the seat of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria.
But Egypt’s religion beliefs were not changed much. After Alexander died his General, Perdiccas ruled as regent, Ptolemy, a close friend of Alexander was left in charge of Egypt.
Then there was the heretic pharaoh who practiced monotheism and subjected his people to punishment if they transgressed. After the Death pf Akhenaton, Egypt returned to the polytheism.
Roman invaded Egypt and the Egyptian Gods were compared to the Roman God.
The Egyptian Pantheon was diminished.
Then came Christianity which was bitterly oppressed but persevered and slowly sublimated the western world. I believe it was Pope Innocent III combined pagan and Christian holidays (Winter Solstice became Christmas, etc.) When you think about it, it was a brilliant idea and with time drew Paganism closer to conversion to Christianity.

Wikipedia, National Geographic, Journal Scientific Report,
John Aubrey (12 March 1626 – 7 June 1697) Archeologist.
Tim Darvill of Bournemouth University, U.K.,* 2005. and Stephen Hawking (January 8, 1942 – March 14, 2018) (Sorry, lost where I read his theory on time.)
I know that this paper is all over the place and confusing but I wanted to get it down while it was fresh in my head. The loss of the ancient Gods wasn’t because of mythological wars. It wasn’t because man stopped worshipping them and they faded away.
It was essentially through conquest and assimilation
Sad but true.

With many thanks to those who took the time to read this.
Wade, I know this isn’t a well written paper, any mistakes are mine. :wink:
Garnet

6 Likes

You dig deep with this one- these are some very thought-provoking points, @Garnet! :clap:

Perhaps it’s a bit ironic that I’ve always loved studying different cultures but always struggled with history (art and traditions call to me, but dates and names vanish from my memory within minutes :sweat_smile:). But I agree- it is fascinating to realize how civilizations and empires have risen and fallen over the years- some fade, and others are merged or adapted into new eras.

There’s another discussion that ties into this well about the place of angels in Wicca and how many deities appear in different forms across different religions and cultures. Sometimes cultures do vanish- but othertimes they are adapted and survive in new forms through other cultures or the traditions that follow in their wake.

It’s a really interesting thing to consider- and certainly opens the door to more questions and exploration! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Garnet! :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. And your nice response.

Always remember:
"If you are troubled, be patient, the answers will eventually present itself. Why?
Sometimes we need to step back and look at the issue with different glasses to see what was always right in front of us.
Be blessed, be safe and know that you will always be loved.
Garnet

2 Likes