This one or that one or maybe this one over here

I was starting to wonder if I should reconsider my decision, but I’m sticking with it. Thank you for the support :heart: :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Hmmm… I would say that you would want a tarot deck either geared toward beginners maybe? Or at least with a guidebook. So you would have to look at the decks, it depends on the creator & style of the deck with how they are going to portray the different cards.

These shops have at least one deck where the Devil card is portrayed a bit differently:

This site has quite a few tarot & oracle decks… some are from Llewellyn too & they are BBB accredited. I actually came across them through the Shop app (Shopify) which supports small businesses & sites of all types. You can find a lot of great items through them & if you use the Shop app to bring you to the site, you can earn “reward credits” to use as money off of purchases at other shops/sites.

I wish I could remember where I got my older decks from… but those should be some good starting points for you. They each have multiple decks available. :hugs:

4 Likes

Thank you :sparkles: I’m going to check some of those out right now. I was thinking a beginner style at first too, just not the ones with the meanings on the card, but now I’m not so sure but maybe that’s my meds talking :rofl:

4 Likes

I agree! Sometimes the face-to-face connection and being able to check things out in person is worth paying a bit more :blush:

I’m sorry that your local shop lost its warmth! I hope that either things will change for the better or perhaps another, friendlier shop will come to town in the future :pray::two_hearts:

5 Likes

Recently bought a deck from Soul Cards, and I am really happy with it. They’re offerring 30% off.

https://soulcardstarot.com/

My other deck is the Green Man Tree Oracle, which I got through Amazon.

6 Likes

Thank you, I will definitely be checking it out

6 Likes

@MeganB I completely agree. I do look for the sets that come with the guidebook. They tend to be a little more than the other ones. They’re around 9 dollars (US currency) a deck. Do they still not get the royalties for those either? Also through the app you can follow and like the actual store that is posting them through Temu and order through them instead. Mine normally come from Tarot Arts or Frog and Toad. You simply follow the store that ships them and look for the others ones they offer.

3 Likes

No, no they don’t. The thing is that since these decks are counterfeit, the creator won’t receive royalties at all because the creator isn’t connected to the person making the fake deck. A good way to tell if they’re counterfeit is by looking at the deck on Temu and then looking at the deck on the creator’s site (or social media, etc.). If the box doesn’t have the publisher’s information or a barcode, chances are it’s a counterfeit. It’s also a good rule of thumb that if the deck is produced by a big publisher like Llewellyn, the chances of a legitimate deck being sold on Temu are very, very slim.

Here’s an example of the Hocus Pocus deck on Temu versus the one on Amazon.

Temu’s Listing

Amazon’s Listing

You can see that Temu’s listing is extremely cheap, $4.88 – this is because they don’t have to pay for licensing, trademarks, and they use cheaper quality material to print their decks.

The Amazon listing is an official listing. You can see that it is more expensive, though not by more than $20. The box also has the publisher’s information and barcode.

Counterfeit decks are just like pirated copies of books – the author doesn’t see anything from pirated copies of books because they are given away illegally.

3 Likes

Great information @MeganB
thank you. I bought a deck of affirmation cards on one of those types of sites and I thought I checked it out by comparing on Amazon but now that I know specifically what I’m looking for, I’ll have to double check and be more careful in the future

3 Likes

You’re very welcome :heart: As a creator in the online witchy space, this is the type of stuff that’s very close to my heart :sweat_smile: I haven’t had anything of my own pirated just yet, but I’m sure it will happen eventually. I’m glad I was able to provide some good information for you!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.