Time Keeping and the significance of seasons

Isn’t it interesting how we measure time has changed?

Have you ever looked up at the sky at midday and wondered why some times of the year, the sun is not directly above at noon?

We live by a 60minute cycle precisely, which has nothing to do with our connection to nature anymore. We wake up and go to sleep to alarms and times.

Did you know, we use to consider the start of a day as dawn and the end of the day as dusk?

Have you ever used the old sundials and noticed how the times do not match our watches?

Thats because during winter, there is less sunlight and during summer the days are longer.

In fact, today, sunrise was at 5:54am with sunset at 8:35pm, making the day 14 hours, 47 minutes long. Meaning 1 hour worth of sunlight according to the cosmic clock is actually 1 hour and 15 minutes. The real midday today is then cosmic hour 6 and will fall today between 12:00pm and 1:14pm. Meaning the sun is directly above at 12:37pm and not 12:00pm on this specific day.

You’ll get 9 hours and 12 minutes of night hours with each hour being 46 minutes worth of our time.

Every hour has a specific planet associated to it as well:

I find all this interesting and I hope you do too. Makes you want to put away modern time and listen to the planet a bit.

We’d be working ridiculous hours in summer if we relied on starting a day a working day at dawn and ending it at dusk though!

Tem

9 Likes

The lightbulb has made such a difference with how we perceive time I think. We have light easily available to us now so people’s days get stretched out.

Then again I could be just bitter because my lamp blew out and I don’t have any light bulbs. LOL! It makes a difference!

5 Likes

Candles are better anyway :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:rofl:

@Temujin_Calidius ~ I have been thinking about this a lot lately! Sunrise was at 6:45 am, and sunset was around 4:30 today. I am so tired when it hits 8:00 pm because my body is like, what’s going on? :rofl:

6 Likes

Time is a very interesting concept and always fun to think about! Humankind really has taken control of time into their own hands with things like lightbulbs, electricity, alarms, etc- that’s actually really powerful when you think about it :mantelpiece_clock: :sparkles:

Then there are things like Liminal Spaces where time seems to flow differently, or when you travel internationally and “leap” through bubbles of time (flying from Japan back to Boston is a 13-hour flight over a 13-hour time difference- you can land at the same time you departed. Where did that time go? Is time internal or external- or are they different kinds of time?)

Is time a human concept? Do animals have the same sense of time? (my parent’s cat, who starts screaming at 5:30am on the dot to get fed every morning certainly has some sense of what time it is :joy_cat:)

Actually, I’m going to take back what I said at the beginning about thinking about time always being fun- sometimes it can invoke an existential crisis too :joy:

I’ve wandered down the black rabbit hole here, but it really is a great topic to discuss- thanks for this, @Temujin_Calidius! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Aww come on, it’s too early for you to be hurting my brain :brain: :exploding_head: :laughing:

But yeah, this is a super interesting concept! I find that my body is more in-tune with the sun as I wake up every morning around the sunrise and get tired when it gets dark. On the other hand, my fiancé could sleep through a blazing sun at midday :laughing:

4 Likes

Hahaha apologies! :bowing_woman: :laughing: Time is definitely one of those concepts that is probably best pondered about later in the day- it can certainly make my head spin thinking about it! :crazy_face:

I’d wager that this is because you are in tune with the natural world :sunrise_over_mountains: :blush: I think this is a sign of how connected you are with the world around you- aka a really good sign for a witch to have!

4 Likes

It could be that! My body and mind also heavily rely on routine, too. I’m going with it’s a combination of both :pray:t3:

4 Likes

I wrote a paper a while ago about time and philosophy and physics.
What is time, where, why, how. If there is time, how does it work?
Please don’t make me look it up. By the time I finished it I was drooling.
Garnet, after this paper, IQ 6 :grin:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Omg @Garnet you are hilarious :joy: And I absolutely know the feeling- the longer I think about abstract concepts like time, the less the whole world makes sense :crazy_face: . It’s really one of those extremely interesting and yet impossible (at least for the current me) to grasp kind of concepts.

And yet… once it wiggles into your brain, you can’t help but be fascinated and keep coming back to it for more :grin:

Thanks again for bringing up such a great topic, @Temujin_Calidius! :raised_hands: :heart:

3 Likes

Well I can tell you that when you go into your altered states using entheugens, the experience can literally drag you out of your body. You enter a state where there is no such thing as time.

Basically, a 15 minute real life experience can feel like an eternity inside. An eternity of floating around in the cosmic universe.

I’ve had experiences where I have looped back and forth from my birth to death, over and over and over and over. As if stuck in this same life except with different choices made each time.

Life just is. Time, just is. Its all just happening :slight_smile:

Tem

4 Likes