To Circle or not to circle

I am so grateful for all the beautiful videos of spells, dedications, meditations and lessons. I have learned so much.
I do have a question about WHEN to cast a circle.
Do you always cast circle before performing a spell?
Do you cast a circle before you begin to put ingredients together for a medicine bag or after you have assembled your medicine bag.
I hope you can understand where I am going with this.
Most of the videos drop you onto your altar and moving through the steps of the spell or meditation so I thought I would ask.

9 Likes

This is a great question! The short answer is:

You don’t have to cast a circle every time you cast a spell. The circle will give you confidence and a place to practice without distractions, but it’s not always necessary. Think of it as a “safe space”, your training wheels. Eventually you don’t really need it and it’s also good to experiment without it.

You can read a bit more about it here: Keeping your circle safe

There’s some more information on calling the quarters into your circle here and here.

There is no hard-and-fast rule on when to cast a circle. Many Witches don’t cast circles at all so don’t feel like you must do it everytime. Others only do it when working in a group, for example.

I cast a circle when I feel the work I’m about to do will raise a lot of energy. The circle helps to contain the energy so it doesn’t drift off in all directions. Another time is when I want to feel safe and protected, I simply visualize a sphere where nothing can come in.

When creating a charm bag you don’t really need a circle. But if it’s a protective charm, for example, you could follow along the circle of protection meditation and:

1. Visualize protective energy around you.
  2. Charge your amulet with it.
  3. Whenever you need to, hold your amulet to invoke that feeling, that circle of protection instantly.
8 Likes

The short answer from me is no you don’t have to cast a circle before performing a spell. Honestly, for myself, I haven’t cast a circle in…ten-ish years? It isn’t a standard part of my practice and it is honestly one that I would find tedious. I definitely agree with what @Francisco has said here!

7 Likes