Colour associations: Red, White, Black
Elemental associations: Water
Crystal associations: Aquamarine, Onyx
Diety associations: Frigg, Nornir, The Norns
Herbal associations: Monkshood
Tree associations: Beech, Aspen, Yew, Elder
Astrological associations: Libra, Saturn, Mars
Tarot associations: Wheel of Fortune
Magical uses: Protect Business Investments, Divination, Health and Healing, Foster Spiritual Clarity, Fertility
Keywords: Mystery, Secrets, Revelation, Chance, Karma, Shaker, Pocket

A few more passages from Lisa Chamberlain’s book for reference:

“Of all the runes, Perthro is the most mysterious. Its meaning has never been agreed upon by scholars, but the symbol is often interpreted as a receptacle used for casting lots, such as a modern-day dice cup. As such, Perthro is associated with divination and the use of the runes as a means of discovering hidden knowledge. Drawing Perthro can indicate that things are not quite as they seem and that something previously unknown is about to be revealed. This could be a secret someone has been keeping, or it could be a spiritual truth that has been hidden from you until now. You are advised to pay attention to the signs and signals that your intuition is picking up on. Now is also a good time to pursue any esoteric interests, such as learning more about magic or about communication with the higher realms.”

“If you’ve been wrestling with a stubborn conundrum, Perthro may be signalling a need to go within to find the answers you’re seeking. Spend time meditating, go for a long walk, or find other ways to attune with the Universal energies that get obscured by the mental clutter of modern life. Clearing your mind allows the enlightenment you need to arise naturally, without effort. Trust in the mysteries of the unknown, and all will be revealed in due time. Perthro reversed may indicate an unpleasant surprise or revelation. It could also point to a secret that you are holding onto, which is becoming harder to keep, or an unhealthy focus on something from the past. Alternatively, it may be cautioning you not to expect too much at this time, or to get attached to outcomes. You may be wasting energy by focusing on external circumstances rather than allowing your happiness to come from within. If the overall reading is unclear, Perthro reversed may be telling you to hold off from divination for now, and come back to the runes at a later time.”

“Additional Meanings
Perthro can also be interpreted as “chance,” in the sense of a surprise or an unexpected positive development. In this context, Perthro reversed indicates potential disappointment, so avoid taking risks at this time, especially involving money. Depending on the context of the reading, Perthro can also point to fertility, pregnancy, and/or birth, as the receptive shape of the symbol has been associated
with the womb. Some Neopagan traditions view Perthro as the womb of the Mother Goddess, bringing forth life from the non-physical realms into physical form here on Earth. Perthro reversed in this sense can point to sexual or reproductive difficulties.”

This is a very mysterious Rune indeed. There is no known translation for this Rune like the others have other than the word Mystery. I live in a city called Perth (I know right!!) so I had a quick google of the origins of its name because it was so close to the name of the Rune and this is the link I found
Pictish Origins
There still isn’t a whole lot that’s known about The Picts other than what has been found or written about by others. Perfect Rune for carving or drawing on tools of Divination :heartpulse:

Source Credit

Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

9 Likes

Nothing wrong with a little mystery- it’s a slightly abstract concept to think about, but I love its applications in a reading. I feel like this rune could point to times when information may be upsetting or even dangerous if discovered- some things are better left unknown!

Beautiful- thanks so much for sharing about Perthro, @Liisa! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Yes exactly, like we aren’t supposed to know every little detail of our futures, how can we when fate isn’t set in stone? A little mystery or lack of precognition can be a good thing in some situations :heartpulse:
And you are, again, so very welcome :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes