Unexpected New Deity - What do you know about Hel?

Thank you!

7 Likes

Well from what I’ve researched all the names we know goddesses by are aspects of or epithets , the names all have a descriptive meaning. I have a paper I read linking Hekate Persephone and Melinoe. Or books I’ve read that have Persephone and Nebosoboleth and Ereshkigal as well as astoreth. Astoresh is an interesting one as she is in the bible worshiped in Solomons temple as Ashtoresh (book of kings)and She is said to be Ishtar pronounced Easter of the 9 gates of Ishtar of Babylon also as Astarte / Aphrodite of Greek. If you have read the John Dee Necronomicon which is the same text as the Chaldean Account of Zoroastrian there is a goddesses that is all powerful but her true name is never spoken the goddess of the unspeakable name she is referred to by epithets or attributes. Like Hekate can be broken down in two ways He Ka Te what I can tell is sky soul power or heka te magic power Ka is Egyptian for soul Te is Egyptian for Powers’s well as Hebrew for power. If you look to Solomonistic magic the name of god Tetragrammaton is broken down as Te Tra Gram ma Ton across the seal. I hope I explain clearly enough

7 Likes

I am actually reading a book right now called “Encountering the Dark Goddess: A Journey into the Shadow Realm” which discusses how all of the Dark Goddesses are aspects of the same goddess. The author likens

the Dark Goddess (and her 13 aspects) to a gatekeeper or guardian of the inner “hell” we must descend into in order to address, accept, and even reclaim the rejected aspects of ourselves (our own internal demons).

I’m still in the first section which discusses the Dark Goddess and what she represents. The next section discusses the 13 aspects of the Dark Goddess and what each represents:

• Tiamat - the Original Creatix
  • Sekhmet - the Powerful
  • Lilith - the Original Wild Woman
  • The Gorgon Medusa
  • Morgan le Fay - A Transforming Illusion
  • Kali - The Hindu Dark Mother
  • Oya - Mother of the Nine
  • Hekate - of the Crossroads
  • Persephone - Queen of the Shadows
  • Nephthys - the Egyptian Goddess of Silence
  • Ereshkigal - Judge of the Great Below
  • Hel - Norse Goddess of the Dead
  • Baby Yaga - The Slavic Initiator
7 Likes

yes those are dark aspects but as with Hekate there are light as well ying and yang Hekate Artimis Diane, although I believe Diane to be a mistranslation of Dionne (Goddess) as the Dionne Luciferia Goddess of Light and Illumination. Lilith is a derogatory name coined by the Cainites to the Goddess that has since been embraced and empowered. Like how we all Know The Great civilization of Chaldea as Babylon, and How My ancestors were called Picts and Our Homeland of Albion was called Pictland later Lower Scotland

7 Likes

Yes, this book talks about how some are dual light/dark goddess. I also just finished “Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow” by Ann Moura (Aoumiel). I loved that it stressed it’s important to know both sides. Shadow/dark magic isn’t just the hexing/cursing that most people think of. It was a good read on how to balance the two with lots of rituals/spells to work with the Dark Goddess.

6 Likes

I really enjoyed this synaps😉

6 Likes

@Amaris_Bane Jess that’s awesome. I recently had a visit from Danu, who i didnt even know existed.

Im happy for u

6 Likes

Wow!! That’s an amazing oracle! I think I’ll purchase one for me too

5 Likes

Ooo… a book about Dark Goddesses! Well adding that to the list.

I have my own yin/yang balance with my deities. I have :triquetra: Brigid who is most definitely considered a light :fire: Goddess in these terms & :triskele: the Morrigan :raven: who is absolutely a Dark Goddess… but not Morgan Le Fay… that is a derivative of the Morrigan but they have similarities & some big differences. Oh how interesting for you!

I will say that the Morrigan is very much associated with

She has helped me a great deal since I have started working with her! :heartpulse: I’m so happy for you @Amaris_Bane

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.