Vervain 💮

Have you ever worked with Vervain?

Vervain, also known as verbena, Verbena officinalis, and herb of the cross, is a perennial herb. The plant belongs to the Verbenaceae family and has lobed, toothed leaves, and silky, pale-purple flowers. :white_flower:

9 Likes

@SilverBear.
Got one, self planting. Butterflies love it, no so much other pollinators.
They have lavander to feed on, so given the choice…they are just like humans.:rofl:
Vervain just blooms alongside my poppies.
I just can wait to see my front garden alive again,with the fuzz & buzz of my darling pollinators, specially bumblebees :smiley:
Watched the clip, great advice, thanks.
I am planning to get rid of the lawn gradually in turn it into a heaven to all kind of insects.
As with my other plants, feel bad robbing the much needed nectar by picking the flowers. Can I use other parts of the plants at the end of the season?
Saying it because, have no many vervain plants right now.
But having said that, the plant benefits from flower and twigg pinching!

8 Likes

I have some that have been dried but I haven’t found a use for them just yet. I’m just so drawn to their colour

6 Likes

@AliceInWonderdab The little flowers are lovely.

6 Likes

My mother’s gardens have verbena but it’s not a plant that I’ve ever tried to grow myself! Great information here- thanks so much for sharing @Silverbear :purple_heart: :blush:

3 Likes

@BryWisteria.
You must grow it.
We have black and red ants in the front garden. They make their mission to move the seeds far away from the main plant.
When I see baby plants in the lawn, pull them out carefully, plant them straight away in little pots.
There are small varieties suitable to plant in borders. They look amazing in a pot or ground.
Do not trim dead stems til flowers are gone.
They love water and full :sun_with_face:.
Please, please plant them!

3 Likes

@SilverBear thank you for the lovely video. I have also added it to my watch later list. I love watching them again when I intend to use them. You do such a great job. I am going to look into this! We have Nasturtium growing right now with some kitchen herbs & Forget Me Nots. I think I will look into this too! :herb: :cherry_blossom: :white_flower: :herb:

4 Likes

I’m afraid I have limited sun with my apartment windows at the moment- a tragedy! But I can see you are very passionate about Vervain, Basil! I will most definitely keep this lovely plant in mind :blush: Hopefully I’ll be able to enjoy it growing in outside gardens of my own someday! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :seedling:

1 Like

@BryWisteria.
As soon as they are in bloom, will send you pics of all the plants I cramm in my little front garden. Needs time to transform and money. As much as I love foxes, they are a nuisance to me, digging holes and trampling my plants. Have to think of something to strike a balance. Foxes are the little gods of the forest and my garden is their playground.

1 Like

Oh, I would love to see your lovely gardens, @Basil! :heart_eyes: Please feel free to share pictures of your flowers in the forums when they begin to bloom :blossom: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Wishing you the best of luck with the foxes- they are lovely, but yes, they can certainly wreck havoc in the gardens too! :fox_face: :sunflower:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Green Witchery ~ Springtime Plants and Flowers!