šŸ›¤ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - A Journey of Change

A Journey of Change - Challenge Entry

Tree of 4 Seasons
~by Josephine Wall

Life is a journey and the only constant is change!
Itā€™s the one thing I can always count onā€¦
If things are going well, they will change.
If things are really bad, they will change.

Magick has always seemed natural to me and has always been a part of my life. My aunt and my friendā€™s mother would place their hands on a table and ask questions and the table would move. It was fascinating to watch. My friend told me they would wake up and the table would be across the room. I just accepted it as normal. Then when I was maybe 10 or 11 when I got my first book on witchcraft. I began doing spells soon after, along with card reading.

One of the biggest challenges I had to overcome in my practice was my Christian dad, who thought it was evil! So, I spent most of my life in the closet and even today I donā€™t tell anyone Iā€™m a witch and no one has ever asked me, so itā€™s all good.

One of my biggest hurdles and regrets has been my depression through the years, I wasnā€™t listening to the guidance I was receiving, so it took most of my life to bring light into the darkness I was living in. And just when I think Iā€™m doing well, a wave of sadness overcomes meā€¦ I think things are coming up so I can work through them and clear them. Thankfully this doesnā€™t seem to last too long anymore.

I actually wouldnā€™t go back and change anything because I would not be who I am today without all the good and bad times Iā€™ve lived through. And, besides I like myself, which is so strange to say because this was not true for most of my life!

My magickal practice has helped me find the light within which is amazing! I am so very thankful and happy to be where I am as a person and as a witch.

I must have a dozen or more journals and little notes I have savedā€¦ lots of memories and more in theseā€¦ hopefully some wisdom too! I started a book of shadows when I joined Spells 8, so it is a work in progress, I am always adding more pages.

With Love :heart: & Magick :dizzy: & Changeā€¦
Always Change!

12 Likes

You never need to thank me for the truth dear girl.

8 Likes

The nice thing about magik is even if u dont have exactly an ingredient there is always a substitute. I can send u a list if u would like.

7 Likes

Challenge entry - A Journey of Change

I chose to answer the suggested prompts for my entry.

What led you toā€¦
ā†’ believe in magick?

When I first moved to New Mexico at age 23, all I could see was the brown landscape. The desert scrub land was mostly treeless (especially as compared to growing up in Montana) and depressing. I worked for a few years as a veterinary technician before getting a field job with the University of NM working on two long-term studies of wild rodent populations.

Being outdoors every day was a huge shift for me as it was incredibly physically taxing. Still, it was intellectually enriching identifying new shrubs, birds, insects, or small mammals. I remember watching huge thunderstorms slowly form far off in the horizon during our lunch hour and then driving through them on the way home.

(source: https://www.pexels.com/ )

It didnā€™t take me long after starting this job to realize I was wrong about NM and that the desert is so incredibly biodiverse. The first spring was astounding seeing the profuse explosion of gloriously colorful wildflowers bloom in unexpected places.

I remember one early morning standing out in the sun, listening to the birds call to each other, smelling the chocolate flower in bloom and gazing at the partial moon in the sky, I thought deep in my soul - ā€œI hear youā€
I canā€™t say at the time I know who ā€œyouā€ was but I knew the desert spoke to me. I knew that being still and observant in nature made my connection to the divine clear to me. I was calm. I was confident. I was happy.

ā†’ take the leap to begin practicing magick?
I was very lucky (only now do I realize just how lucky!!!) to live in a large city with a rich mix of cultures and a large university that supported several amazing ā€œNew Ageā€ shops. A timid visit here, another there and I picked up my first Buckland book, my first Cunniham book, my athame, and a tarot deck. Not all at once, mind youā€”just an item here and there over a few visits. I needed to slowly explore and gain a comfort level in my own time, after all, I had been raised strict catholic and this was verboten. To age myself here, this was before the internet was an unimaginable trove of information. I still had a dial-up modem and AOL so everything I learned was from a book or shop owner. After I spent some time carving a triple moon into the wooden hilt of my athame, I completed my self-initiation ritual quietly, in the dark one night.

What are theā€¦
ā†’ biggest hurdles/challenges youā€™ve overcome in your practice?

My biggest hurdle is trying to keep my practice active. Part of my issue, I believe, is that I am pretty much in the closet at home. I chose times to do my rituals or read tarot when Iā€™m alone or at night. It takes me time to set up and then break down an altar each time so I can tuck things away. Because I am absolutely and ā€œout of sight, out of mindā€ type of person, I donā€™t have visual reminders for me to be magickal every day. To take time every day or at least several times a week to read tarot.

ā†’ biggest achievements/successes you have accomplished in your practice?
I would have to say my biggest achievement was coming back after being away for more than 20 years.

Is there anything on your magickal journeyā€¦
ā†’ that you regret?
I regret not making connections in Abq when I first started practicing that might have helped me grow and make magick more a part of my life. I also regret not taking advantage of the fantastic shops located in the state.
ā†’ that you would change if you could go back and do it again?
I was searching for something, maybe for myself and I wish magick was something I accepted as being a part of my life earlier. Magick for me is part of who I am. It brings me comfort, purpose, and happiness. I wish I hadnā€™t dismissed and forgotten it for so many years.

How has your magickal practice changed youā€¦
ā†’ as a witch/magick user?
Well, I am practicing now so thatā€™s the biggest change. I do want to be a bit more active still.
ā†’ as a person?
I feel that I am a bit more centered and focused.

8 Likes

Hello, lovelies!

My journey seems to be a very non-complicated oneā€¦

I have been a nature lover and empath my whole life and never grabbed onto any organized religion once I was an adult. (I attended seven years of Catholic School) While everyone around me was deep in their beliefs with Christianity, I felt out of place by my lack of conformity and being a ā€œnon-believer,ā€ as my MIL would say. My closest friend is not into organized religion, so I have her as a trusty companion. When I got sober almost five years ago, I studied some Buddism and resonated with that. When my dog passed away last year, and after a conversation with my sonā€™s partner, I dove head first into my Wiccan journey and have not looked back. (My sonā€™s girlfriend is a witch of sorts, and after a conversation with her, it triggered me to dig out an old Wiccan book I had from a trip to Salem a few years ago.) Itā€™s the only thing I have found that makes sense and brings me peace. It has calmed my anxieties my uncertainties and has opened up a world where I am accepted and feel comfort. I wish I had found this place of acceptance in my life sooner. Iā€™m in my 50ā€™s, butā€¦better late than never! But maybe it wasnā€™t time. I feel like I wasnā€™t ready until now.
You all have been a tremendously significant influence on me, and I am so happy to be a part of this coven. I learn something new daily with you all and learn new things about myself.
I have the BOS that I have collected from this coven and have grown infinitely closer to my friend, who is also a practitioner of Wicca. She introduced me to tarot, and I love it! I start every day with a morning reading. I have dove head first into gardening, candlemaking, rituals, and Moon Magick. So many things! It makes me happy to feel this connection and be grounded in our mother earth!
Looking back at my life, I recognize now that I have stayed true to myself and, in doing so, did many of the things we do through the practice of Wicca. I have always set out good intentions for myself and have always been grateful for what I have. I have manifested many good things throughout my life and believe in Karma and energy. Being Wiccan is like coming home for me. Blessed be sisters and brothers :heartpulse: :magic_wand: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Marsha,
I can relate to your story about

I do understand I got to meet a friend and I really dont have to many people I allow into my life and I try not to put walls up but I go to a support group. I met a person there and she was asking me who I worship and if it was evil. I also have people in my family who dont understand my ways or the craft and its really hard to deal with cause I am afraid that they will never understand! I want the kundalini to come out when the time is right. I want to be in my truth! So I did make a Goddess Mask to help me in my journey to be the warrior and my own life.
I also do understand depression and I do suffer bigtime and like you said we need to overcome this sadness and use are guidance light and use our own intuition inwhich we become into the archetype of the high priestess. This is our journey to wholeness! We donā€™t need other peoples opinions we just want to be accepted by our family members. I am very thankful for this challenge and thank you for your post and your truth it helped me to know I am not alone!
Jeannie

8 Likes

Just wonderful this video! How creative!

7 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

Thank you so much to everyone who embarked on a reflective journey together this week- it has been a big honor to look back and celebrate the road so far :blush: Iā€™ll be tallying up entries and will be sending out badges to all entrants soon! :sparkles:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details for everyone who submitted an entry. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : This post will remain open for continued discussion for a few more days, but no additional prizes will be given after today.

Blessed be! :railway_track: :sparkles:

8 Likes

She sure is a sweety!! She plays all her own music too! Harp and piano. I think sheā€™s a piano teacher which is very fitting for her I think. Iā€™m glad you liked the video. Thanks @martje for viewing.
:butterfly:

9 Likes

Iā€™ve been tumbling head-over-heels through this week with visiting family and a wacky schedule, and time has got away from me! :crazy_face: But I really did enjoy reading everyoneā€™s reflective entries- itā€™s not the full replies I usually love to write (what can I say? You all inspire me so much! :two_hearts: ), but I just want to slip in a few things before this discussion goes to rest next week :pray:

@Wysteria_Norn Iā€™m so glad the challenge brought back some nice memories for you :blush: Thank you for sharing your reflection!

@Phoenix_Fire You are truly flourishing on your Path- it is an honor to watch you bloom in your magick! :hibiscus: Thank you for sharing your reflection as well as the truly lovely poem you wrote :heart:

@Martje Your loves, your losses, your dedication, and your beautiful energy have all led you to where you are today. What a journey you have been on, Martje- it is really emotional and powerful to hear your story :pray: Thank you for both sharing your Path and also for the positive message as well- may you continue to hold control and power in your life! And that you continue to bring smiles to everyone around you :heart::blush:

@Ostara It sounds like magick ā€œclickedā€ with you, Ostara- you found your place and havenā€™t looked back! I think youā€™re amazing for not being afraid to find what works for you and embracing it :handshake: Itā€™s not your fault about covid (the first test was negative!)- I just you are feeling okay and doing well! :people_hugging: :two_hearts:

@carrie4 Beautiful reflection, Carrie- thank you for exploring the prompts! :blush: There is a lot in what you said that I resonated really strongly with, youā€™ve had a beautiful and empowering journey into the Craft :sparkles: Great goals and dreams for the future too- may you continue to thrive on your Path!

@Crystal5 A Book of Mirrors is a very noble purpose for a book- and thatā€™s a gorgeous one! Enjoy it, Crystal! :open_book:

@AileyGrey What a fun journey youā€™ve had so far, Ailey- I smiled at the story about your friend accidentally helping you take on the name ā€œwitchā€, that is such a great moment in your Path :grinning: Congrats to you for all of the amazing things and work youā€™ve done, and cheers to the bright future ahead for you! :heart:

@Satu_TheGreenWitch Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the prompt questions and share your reflection, Satu- I am in awe of your books! Not only are they gorgeous to see, but I know they are full of your wisdom and experiences too- a beautiful symbol of your magickal Path! :books::two_hearts:

@Kasandra It is really great to see how much your focus on your health and wellbeing has shaped your practice over time- it is a really empowering area of the Craft :blush: May your practice continue to give you options, assist with healing, and may the dragons continue to watch over and bless you (forgive me if it is overstepping, but I feel that you are a blessing for Them as well- it sounds like a very harmonious bond you have forged :dragon_face: :heart:). Thank you for sharing!

@Phoenix_Rose Beautiful reflection, Maudot- and I love your notes on Walden! An interesting coincidence, as I had been reading about Thoreau the other day (Walden Pond isnā€™t too far away from me here in MA). Youā€™re so right that his teachings can tie in beautifully to the path and mindfulness. Thank you very much for your story and wisdom! :sparkles:

@Amethyst Every time you share the story about your mother getting you your first witchy book I have to hold back the tears- that is such a beautiful memory and a really lovely way to start walking a magickal path :face_holding_back_tears::heart: I really relate with what you say about the path helping you find your zen and inner clam too- but the best quote from this lovely entry is what you said: ā€œIā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve changed all the much or just become more MEā€. Standing ovation to that- perfectly said, Amethyst! :clap::two_hearts:

@TheMuslimWitch Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve been struggling against stigma, but for everytime you overcome what others think and embrace what makes you happy, I consider that a huge win for yourself. Youā€™ve come such a long way and have so many reasons to be proud of yourself! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Jessica72 Magick has been inside you all along, Jessica- what a beautiful reflection of how you came to embrace it :blush: I know youā€™ve had a lot of big challenges on your journey, but with each step forward Iā€™ve seen you become stronger, more confident, and more self-empowered. I am so proud of how far youā€™ve come- please know that I am always cheering for you, and for the beautiful heart and lovely magick you have! :sparkling_heart:

@Reiko A few small seeds grew over time and helped your practice flourish- this was a lovely reflection, Reiko, and Iā€™m so glad you took that leap and gave the witchcraft course a try! :mage: Congrats to you for finding what feels right and makes you happy! :grinning:

@Mistress_Of_Herbs I really appreciate what you said about your Craft helping you be more honest and open with yourself. There is often a lot of focus and pressure (Iā€™m guilty of it too!) to help others and give- but there are definitely lines to how much before itā€™s too much. You are really strong to take note of those borders and draw lines to keep yourself well and safe :muscle: :heart: Beautiful reflection, Christeena- thank you for sharing it!

@Jeannie1 One thing led to another, and now look at you thrive! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Jeannie, you have so many magickal talents and skills- I always love hearing about what you are currently studying and working on. You have come so far despite the challenges, and I canā€™t wait to see how much further you soar! :dove: Thank you for sharing this wonderful reflection :two_hearts:

@Murphy Dreams are powerful things indeed- Iā€™m happy yours got through to you, and helped lead you to your Path! :grinning: I understand your feelings of regret, but you are so right with your message at the end- it is definitely better late than never! I like to think we find the Craft when we are ready for it (or perhaps when it is ready for us! :laughing:). Beautiful work- thank you so much for this reflection! :raised_hands:

@Sarafeena_Sage You are very wise to fear fear- itā€™s the emotion itself that tends to cause the most damage or hold us back the most. But knowing is the first step towards overcoming, and you are so talented and smart! :woman_mage: :sparkles: Youā€™ve come a long way on your journey, and have a wonderful road ahead, full of possibilities- fear should fear YOU! :laughing: Thank you so much for your reflection, Sarall!

@Marsha Your beautiful entries always read like poetry (and include such beautiful prose too! :heart:)- hearing about how your practice has helped you find your light and power is really inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing your journey and how it has brought you to where you are now- keep on thriving in your Craft, Marsha! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Artemisia You reached out to nature and nature reached back to you- what a beautiful connection that sparked your journey into magick :blush: Iā€™m so glad you found a home where you thrive and that youā€™re at home in your Craft! :sparkles: Even if it waxes and wanes like the moon, it is always there and always a loving part of you. Beautiful work, Kat- thank you very much for sharing this (and the pretty pics too!) :heart:

@Mistella It sounds like magick found you as naturally as breathing, and that youā€™re truly at ease with this part of yourself- Iā€™m so happy for you, Mistella! :two_hearts: Reading about your joy and pride in what youā€™ve done makes me smile too- this was a really beautiful read. Thank you so much for sharing it! Many blessings to you too :heartpulse:

For anyone who hasnā€™t seen it yet, the Props and Presents post for this challenge is now live in the forum and badges have been sent to everyone who shared an entry- thanks again to everyone for joining in! :heart::partying_face:

Additionally, the next weekly witchy witchy challenge is now live- feel free to check out the post here: Weekly Witchy Challenge - HandCrafting :heart_hands:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

10 Likes

Thank you for your lovely comments, dear heart. Iā€™ll always be thankful to my Mum for setting my feet on this path. And Iā€™d like to think that witchcraft is like a distillery. Taking out the bad parts and making the good parts more outstanding. Glad you liked my entry!

9 Likes

@BryWisteria @Ostara @Amethyst

Heres that substitution list i wish there was a way i could just hit an at everyone button.

Please remember even tho this says EO, eoā€™s are the herbs too. Just in a different form.

10 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria for the encouraging words. Fear can be an awful thing when it keeps you from enjoying life. So far god has not struck me down! I didnā€™t really have any faith that anything would happen since I had no faith in god at all! But I had fear!
I do however have faith that the sun and moon will rise everyday! Witchcraft has given me faith, which makes life a little easier to deal with at times. I still have a lot of growing to do and much more to learn but I feel calmer, and more in touch with myself than I did before I found Spells8.
Thank you all for the support and kind words. I love my Spells8 family :two_hearts:
:butterfly:

7 Likes

Thatā€™s so neat, @Mistress_Of_Herbs! Thank you so much!

6 Likes

Thank you, dear @BryWisteria for your kind words and encouragement.
:heart:

6 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad I found this site. I am happy to be a part of this coven. I am inspired everyday by the people on this site. :blush::heart:

Blessed be!

8 Likes

I was thinking of rejoin these activities and found what seems to be the perfect challenge for me right now. Iā€™ll definitely take a look back and come with a reflection.

As of now, I just want to say that Infinite Roots has been a huge part of my journey, for which Iā€™m immensely grateful :pray:

7 Likes

We are happy to have you too @Phoenix_Rose, I hope your weekend is off to a great start.

@RyuWyn I am going to have to agree that the challenges are great activities for figuring out your practice & this was a good reflection moment for me too. I enjoyed this challenge a lot! :tada:

8 Likes

@Amethyst I loved it, Amethyst :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And the great analogies keep coming- witchcraft as a distillery! That is a very fitting way to view it :test_tube: :sparkles::blush: Thanks again!

@Mistress_Of_Herbs That is a very helpful list- thank you for the substitutes! They do come in handy :grinning: :two_hearts:

@Sarafeena_Sage That is beautiful, Sarall- it sounds like your faith is a light in the face of fear :fire::sparkles: May you continue to walk proudly forward, overcoming your fears and continuing to learn and grow. You really have come a long way! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So much love to you too- I know Iā€™m cheering for you, and I feel your Spells8 family is cheering along for you too! :heart::infinite_roots: :blush:

@Marsha Itā€™s always a pleasure, Marsha! :heart::people_hugging:

@Phoenix_Rose Awwww that made me smile, Maudot- thank you so much for being such a source of positivity! :raised_hands: :two_hearts: The coven is very blessed to have you- many blessings to you too! :sparkling_heart:

@RyuWyn You are always welcome in the activities, RyuWyn! :two_hearts: The next Catch Up Challenge isnā€™t too far away- if you decide to jump into this theme, Iā€™m really looking forward to hearing your full reflection :blush:

10 Likes

This challenge has closed- but no worries! You can still respond to old posts in a private message or new thread, or you can visit Activities to find and join a current challenge.