šŸ›¤ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - A Journey of Change

What a fun challenge!

My grandmother and my mom and my sister and I have always had a very strong intuition/psychic thing going on. We all know who is calling when the phone rings, get those gut feelings that something bad is going to happen, and just know when things are going to go down (I called my college roommate to ask her if she was in labor and she had just checked in to labor and delivery). I also got my way a lot. Like, if I really wanted something, I made it happen. Even crazy outlandish thingsā€¦ I just sort of set my mind to it and made it happen. I have always been in love with rocks and crystals and the moon. My mom made growing up magicalā€¦ fairies and dragons and fairy talesā€¦ it was awesome.

I grew up knowing that there was magic in the worldā€¦ but somehow I wasnā€™t exactly connected to it. I grew up in the Bible Belt. I was raised Catholic and married into an Episcpal family. I was never unhappy with my faith until rather recently. It just didnā€™t feel complete anymore.

There were several catalysts that got me to where I am today (I think). We started homeschooling our kids due to Dyslexia. I started reading all about nature study and slowly got absorbed into Waldorf education. Waldorf really has nothing to do with the Craft, but there is a heavy emphasis on the wheel of the year and acknowledging the seasons and festivals. I fell in love with that. Waldorf for young kids also encourages explaining the world to young children with fairy tales and by teaching them that the world is magical. King Winter brings the winter and Mother Earth has her Root Babies that awake in the springā€¦ fairies and gnomes are always about. Itā€™s magical. My mom had no idea what Waldorf was when I was a child, but I feel like I lived this childhood.

Simultaneously, my kids started attending forest school once a week and went to camp for several summers there too. The camp they go to touts ā€œcreative rewildingā€ and encourages reconnection to the land through ancestral skills (tracking, medicinal plants, crafting with natural materials, storytelling, etc). The kids learn all these skills through participating in a live action role play with fantastic beasts and gnomes and fairies and trolls and talking ravens, etc. It is absolutely magical and the people who run it are amazing in every sense of the word.

Our whole family has reconnected with nature and I started really paying attention to the wheel of the year.

One of the biggest things that I did was a Waldorf/wheel of the year inspired tradition that takes place during Advent each year (raised Catholicā€¦ canā€™t let that go!). During Advent, you light a candle each night until Christmasā€¦ the candles are arranged in a spiral and each week, you add a different element to the spiral. Week 1 is rocks, stones, and bones, week 2 is plants and seeds, week 3 is animals, and week 4 is the realm of man (this is the super simplified version). The whole tradition is steeped with song and stories that weave the natural world and the Christian realm together (my favorite story is about the trolls who wonder why their crystals have grown dull and journey into the world where they find the Christ child and the light surrounding his birth brightens their crystals again). Iā€™ve done this with my family for the last two years and it just makes me feel soā€¦. Connected? itā€™s amazing to watch the light brighten from one dim candle to a blazing spiral by solstice (and a few days after to Christmas Eve). It is my very favorite thing because of the feeling it gives me. I donā€™t have words to really describe it. Magical.

In April, a good friend of mine emailed me and asked me if she could ask me a question about being a witch. I was likeā€¦ uhā€¦ what? Iā€™m not a witch. She was mortified and said that because I always had an oil or herbal remedy at hand that she had just assumedā€¦. I calmed her downā€¦. And later that night i thoughtā€¦ what if I am a witch? What does being a witch reallly look like?

A few internet searched later and I found Spells8. A few lessons later and I started to panic. I couldnā€™t be a Christian and a witch, could I? That was a whole different rabbit hole. I decided I was going to take the courses on Spells8 and keep reading because knowledge is power and understanding a multitude of religions, faiths, and beliefs is important. (I have always kind of had a hodgepodge of beliefs myself, even as a Christian). I read St. Claiirā€™s book ā€œMy Journey as a Christian Witchā€ and finally decided I could do both and was fairly certain I wasnā€™t going to hell.

I called the bestie and told her ā€œI think I might be a witch.ā€ She laughed and laughed and replied, ā€œReally? How long did it take you to figure that out? Weā€™ve always known you were a witch.ā€ Thanks for letting me know, right?

I told my mom. I got the same response. Itā€™s been nice, though, to talk things through with my mom and explore together.

So here I am now, 3 months in. It does not feel like only 3 months. It feels like a lifetime. I feel so confident in my abilities, I know I can manifest, I understand the connection between crystals, herbs, oils, the moon, prayer, intention, spells and how they relate to me.

I feel complete. I am happy. I still have so much to learn and that is exciting to me!

I am so thankful for everyone here who has cheered me on, patiently answered questions, reminded me that I donā€™t have to choose between a religion and the craft, shared their knowledge with meā€¦. You people really are some of my favorites on the planet. I havenā€™t met you, I couldnā€™t pick you out on the street corner if I passed you, but you are my coven now and I am so happy for that! Cheers!

11 Likes

Awww, thank you @AileyGrey!

8 Likes

What a wonderful story :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

I tā€™s confronting. By telling this story I am back in the experience. There is still a lot I didnā€™t process while I thought I did. So I will take my time.

8 Likes

Thank you @martje martje!

9 Likes

to all challengers great jobs
Garnet

15 Likes

And to you as well, dear @Garnet
:heart:

8 Likes

My husband has made it 2.5 years ā€œrunning in the wildā€ as he calls it and today tested positive. Heā€™s had the first two shots but didnā€™t get the booster. I didnā€™t get the booster until 9 months instead of 6 because many of the immunologists I keep tabs on did the same.

8 Likes

I havenā€™t had Covid yet & neother has my husband or 2 of my children. My middle child has had it 3 times now.

The first time he had no idea because he thought it was allergies. He didnā€™t have a fever & said it feels like allergies Someone he works with tested positive & he did 2 days later. The other 2 times he was asleep a lot but i made him drink water & try to eat soup. He said it was like exhaustion & bad allergies.

Its not your fault. The test was negative the first time so you had no knowledge of being positive. It was an accident & there is no guilt or shame for that

10 Likes

I seem to be like my house cat, up on all my shots.
Meow.
Garnet

8 Likes

My entry:

Thank you for this weekā€™s challenge topic. It is timely for me as Iā€™ve been a practicing witch for 1 year this month so this reflection on my journey so far has been a really nice thing to do to mark my first year.

So to dive right inā€¦

What led me to believe in magick?
The mystery is that I canā€™t pinpoint what led me to magick a year ago. Itā€™s almost as if I woke one day and simply thought ā€œIā€™m a witch.ā€ There was nothing I read or saw nor anyone I spoke to about it. Itā€™s truly a mystery to me to this day. I suppose you could say I was ā€œcalledā€ to witchcraft. I cannot explain it any other way.

What are the biggest hurdles/challenges youā€™ve overcome in your practice?
For me, it was learning how to incorporate magick into the mundane. Fortunately, Spell8 and the Infinite Roots coven came to my rescue with so much information that soon nearly every task, no matter how small, had a little magick in it. So while initially a challenge, staying in a ā€œstudent witchā€ mindset helped me turn this challenge into a success. This is no small thing because these magickal routines are what ground me when all the world around me is in chaos.

Is there anything on your magickal journey you regret or would change?
There is nothing to regret. Every step Iā€™ve taken or thing Iā€™ve tried to develop for my craft has been to learn and grow. I never regret the path I take when trying to do these 2 things.

How has your magickal practice changed you as a witch and a person?
Iā€™ve changed dramatically. I have felt a calming power from witchcraft that has continued to grow since I started my journey. Also, I have learned to cultivate and understand the until now unexplained pull towards my ancestral home of England and my ancestors, who until nowā€¦were rarely a thought. These changes have helped me to feel grounded, protected, and strong through what I feel are ancient connections.

What have I done to record my journey?
I have filled 2 books in the past yearā€¦the first is the black book w/ the pentacle, the 2nd book is the one with all the stickers and the inside cover with the green witch oath. And just this week, I made the 3rd book pictured (green and gold) from resin as I really wanted to make a more meaningful book with my own hands.

I continue to learn every day but can state that witchcraft literally called to me a year ago and I have been drawn to it every day since.

Really wonderful topic @Kasandra and @Garnet. Reflecting on this journey has been wonderful! Thank you!

15 Likes

I love your book and the idea of making your own! I may try that when I fill my current one. Iā€™ve been wanting to tap into me creative side but donā€™t have the talent that my mom and brother have. I have been thinking about resin crafting as itseems fairly straightforward.

7 Likes

Thank you! Itā€™s a lot of fun and very doable @Amaris_Bane. The molds are fairly cheap and thereā€™s so much variety. There are even tarot and rune molds. Made these notebooks and matching pens for gifts. I hope you try it out :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Where to start? Thereā€™s so much to go over and Iā€™m not sure that I can fully put into words how much Iā€™ve changed since I started practicing.
I left Catholicism back in 2012. It had been causing me so much anxiety and depression. After I left, I felt like I was finally able to relax. Even though Iā€™m no longer a practicing Catholic, I still adhere to some of its teachings such as The Golden Ruleā€” treat others the way you want to be treatedā€” and to pray for your enemies. When it comes to turning the other cheek, well, you have to choose your fights carefully.
Before I started practicing, I felt weird celebrating Easter and Christmas. Why should I celebrate Christian holidays when I wasnā€™t a Christian anymore? Except for Fall, I tended to focus more on the downsides to the seasons; spring with my allergies, summer with the heat and high humidity, winter with the snow and ice.
I thought that taking OTC medicine was the only effective treatment for headaches, stomachaches, and so forth.
I will always love some seasons more than others, but since I started practicing I choose to focus on the positive aspects of spring, summer, fall and winter. Spring cannot come without winter. Summer cannot come without spring. Fall cannot come without summer. Winter cannot come without fall.
When things turn stressful, I now remain more calm and level headed and donā€™t always jump to conclusions.
I have learned (and am still learning) just how powerful and healing the Universe can be. I have IBS and since I started practicing I have noticed an improvement in my symptoms, which I believe is the result of eating healthier, drinking more tea, and meditating. I used to get horrible eczema flare ups in the winter. This past winter I made some seafood dishes for Aphrodite and bought sushi whenever I was able to. Well, fish is great for bringing down inflammation and Iā€™m sure thatā€™s why I had no eczema outbreaks!
I will end my post by thanking the dragons for working with me, lending me their wisdom, and just being here for me. I tend to overthink, over analyze, and ask a million questions. But that could be why they put up with me! :crazy_face: From approximately November 2021 to May 2022 was a difficult time for many reasons, and Iā€™m not sure how I would have made it through without themā€¦and of course, the support of the Infinte Roots coven! :blush:

12 Likes

What has led me to believe in magical
Experiences. Dreams I have had that came true. Knowing things I couldnā€™t have known other than there being something more to life. Setting intentions for things to happen and have them happen and realizing I created that reality by the strength of my intentions -that freaked me out a bit.
**What are the biggest hurdles I am working to overcome and biggest achievement **
Hurdles: my personal fear and blockages.
Achievements: embracing the path to becoming a witch despite my fears and blockages
Is there anything on my magical journey I regret?
I try not to regret anything; however, it would be the time it has taken me to come back to this journey. Especially since I have let my motherā€™s issues take up space in my head for far too long. Not having the strength to see them for what they are- her issues, and realizing that they are not my issues and that I donā€™t have to agree with her or live according to how she sees things. She is not anti witch at all, in fact she has done witch craft. She is anti ego to the point of it negatively impacting any shred of confidence I may have. We were taught that if we had confidence then bad things would happen to take the good stuff away as punishment for hubris. She has definitely navigated our life to ensure this happened so we would learn a ā€œlife lessonā€. I am learning confidence is different from hubris and confidence is ok.
**How has my magical practice changed me **
That is developing still as I am new to embracing this path. I am developing more confidence and, slowly, being willing to pick what I would like to accomplish/achieve and striving for that. Because of previous experiences I have been scared to ask for what I want because I will get it and it may not be what I really wanted. Learning proper spell casting will help with that.
Finally
I believe embracing witchcraft will help me embrace life. I think of Henry David Thoreauā€™s book ā€œWaldenā€. He wrote that he ā€œwent to the woodsā€¦to live deliberatelyā€¦ā€ ā€œā€¦to live deep and suck out all the marrow of lifeā€¦ā€ to ā€œā€¦not when I came to die discover that I had not lived.ā€
To me, witchcraft is embracing life on a deeper level with intentionality. It is a more fully lived life. I donā€™t want to, when I come to die, realize I have not fully lived.

12 Likes

This if the first time I have had it. My husband hasnā€™t had it yet, but Iā€™m pretty sure that is about to change. Today I feel great.

6 Likes

@Satu_TheGreenWitch your books are beautiful!

8 Likes

@Ostara This is the first time for him as well. His fever was already starting to break last night. I tested negative but am still being cautiously optimistic.

@Satu_TheGreenWitch Those are beautiful!! Iā€™m definitely going to have to try!

8 Likes

An amazing journey. Heartwarming. Thank you for sharing.

7 Likes

I really like your poem. Thank you for sharing it.

8 Likes