🏛 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Greek & Roman Traditions and Magick

haha no, no pressure! I didn’t want to write about Nyx if you were already planning on it :rofl: I remember you saying you wanted to change the fact that we don’t have a lot of Nyx info on the forum or site :black_heart: She’s one of my favorites in the Greek pantheon.

12 Likes

Oh, yes! But I don’t need to do it alone. The more the merrier. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Although, I get that it doesn’t have to be for this challenge. Feel free to add more content about her whenever. :black_heart: :silver_heart: :heart:

11 Likes

I may have an idea… :thinking: I’ll have to see where my heart leads me with this. Hooray for Nyx! :black_heart:

11 Likes

I’m come to realize that my interest in some of the darker deities stems from wanting to learn more about them and not a call to add them to my existing practice. Still it will be fun to read about other’s entries this week!!!

11 Likes

Same! Not pressuring you @starborn to take on anything you didn’t want or weren’t planning to do.

11 Likes

I haven’t figured out this part for myself… :thinking: I’ve always been more of a “darker” person, interested in the darker deities and aspects of life. I actually just created a D&D character whose “mission” involves saving others who are lost in darkness and I used Nyx’s name as inspiration for my character’s name :laughing:

14 Likes

It’s okay. I was planning on doing something Nyx-related soon. :smile: Looks like this weekly challenge was/is a good nudge for that.

Same. I’ve come to love that about myself, though. :smile:

That’s awesome! I love that theme. :black_heart:

11 Likes

Challenge Entry - Greek & Roman Traditions and Magick

Instead of clogging up this thread I’ve moved part one of two (I think :laughing: ) to its own page.

Spoilers I chose Hemera the personification of Day.

11 Likes

Challenge Entry
incense of Hekatis
roses bay leaves lavender rosemary basil
they were left in the sun to dry
I mixed them with honey
I then spread them again in the sun
I pass small pieces like balls
they burn very nicely and smell great :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

14 Likes

Oh heck. :crazy_face: I thought I was tagged in this post but thought it was just my imagination. Clearly I missed this part :laughing:

10 Likes

Challenge Entry

My most recent foray into Greek and Roman systems was a reminder of a story I wanted to happen to me and what I have learned in the intervening years. At a wedding, a golden apple was thrown into the crowd with a note: for the most beautiful. Three goddesses competed among themselves. They found a human and asked his opinion, each offering a bribe for his vote. One offered power, one the hand of the most beautiful on earth in marriage, and one offered great wisdom.

As a child, I wished they would have chosen me. I would have chosen wisdom.

I have learned a lot since then.

• Bribes are never worth the trouble they cause.
  • Never allow yourself to get mixed up in a fight between deities because the losers will punish you, no matter what.
  • Wisdom may still be the one I’d choose, but I’d rather hide than be given the choice.
  • How dost one tell the Goddess of Wisdom that the fight is unwise? How dost one tell the Goddess of Love that she’s behaving in an unloving manner? How dost one tell the wife of the ruler of the gods that she is selling herself short by giving away her inherent power?
  • The prize was something common they had access to regularly. Competition only causes hurt feelings.
  • Defining oneself by someone else’s opinions reduces who one is because opinions are like noses- everyone’s got one, and they don’t all match. Besides, opinions are as changeable as the weather- if you don’t like it, wait a minute!
14 Likes

According to one of the Percy Jackson books, June 24 is the Feast of Fortune. Whatever happens on that day gives a hint of what the next year will be like.

14 Likes

I’m a terrible pagan. I try but do not succeed at giving the gods their due. I do incorporate deities in my practice. But I do not tend to develop sustained relationships with them. I know the gods are not vending machines but I tend to resort to asking for their support when I need it. That said, when I do, I am reverent, I research their back stories, create altars, I make appropriate offerings, do devotionals and I craft things like decorated candles and wear their likenesses. In this way, I’ve turned to Athena and Hecate for help with my court cases, Jupiter for help with bigger goals and manifesting abundance, Aphrodite on Fridays for self-care, beauty night and assistance with my child, Neptune if I’m sailing or going to the beach or it happens to be Neptunalia, etc…

wrong. wrong. wrong.

But I think what holds me back from going full Greek pantheon is that nearly all the gods and goddesses have some troubling story associated with them that is just too icky to contemplate.

However, I think I have found one I can get on board with, without compunction.

Iris, the messenger goddess, does not have a cult (or much of one), she doesn’t have a true festival…but when she does get offerings, it’s cheesecake and how cool is that? But best of all, she hasn’t really transgressed. She understood the assignment. She delivers messages, sometimes to the Underworld, transporting herself with fantastic wings and gliding on rainbows. She brings nectar for the other gods. She does not make side trips to have affairs or mess with people and she doesn’t seem prone to goddess-ish fits of jealousy or pique. Since I’ve been on a magical creatures/unicorn kick since this spring, I can really groove on Iris’ colorful and magical style. And she has a pedigree; her grandmother was Gaia. Iris is fabulous, under-rated, hardworking and non-problematic. She’s not flexing like Athena or manipulating like Aphrodite. She’s getting stuff done. You gotta love that in a goddess. Oh! AND she helps Persephone get back for her spring breaks. So, I’ll be working with her energy. I dig it. (Picture from MysteryinHistory.com)

15 Likes

I just want to tell you that not working with a certain deity is not wrong. Many practitioners of the craft work with multiple deity’s on an as needed basis as you have been. If the deity was upset about its they wouldn’t help. And to be honest I don’t think they mind. I worked that way for over 35 years and never had any problems. It wasn’t until recently I felt called by Loki to work with him. I still call in others if I feel they are needed. So please, don’t bed so hard on yourself.

Now your entry, Isis is a beautiful goddess! I love your entry!

13 Likes

Can’t get more icky than my beastie Loki :rofl:. You know, the old stories, 1) written by men, 2) makes them more relatable, they’re not perfect and that means…if we don’t offer them perfect worship, they’re ok with that.

You’re entry is fabulous :green_heart:

13 Likes

challenge entry
Yep discovered its a special interest to work with divination systems. . Nut this week instead of a themed spread i chose two generic ones thought might be useful for me… oddly wiki how site :woman_shrugging:but cool …

My links to greek and roman magic and culture came this time in the vhoice of deck which was goddess enchantment which includes lots of greek and roman deities… ok yes based on name yes female deities but still.

I overlayed screen shots of the cards on screet shot og layout…and yes…im doing this 2-3am saturday morning :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:oh well…maybe ill br anle to shut ofg my brain once i feek ive achieved a goal.

Noted Athena turned up in both spreads…

10 Likes

Whew I may have gotten carried away but I finished part 2 of 2 of my Challenge Entry on Hemera, Goddess of Day.

Relief of Hemera from the Aphrodisias Sebasteion

10 Likes

I couldn’t resist. :rofl: I love the steamed hams bit in The Simpsons.

13 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

Hades

This is going to be a strange entry as I don’t follow the Greek pantheon and it’s based on my own personal gnosis. So here goes. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hades. Why him and not the goddess of discord Eris. :person_shrugging: Well I tried her and she’s busy, so I don’t know. :rofl: Then Eurynomous showed up and suggested his greek pal there. So I reached out in dreamwalking to see what would happen. To say it was weird is an understatement, but here’s where he took me.

The first night I couldn’t sleep at all. I tossed and turned and broke out into a cold sweat. I felt very stressed and thought maybe Alu my night demon was on his way, this is normally his signature key, but no, noone showed. Yet strangely when I finally got up around 5am, I didn’t feel exhausted. I went to work and actually had a really good day, and ontop of that, a situation which has been stressing me out, which I’d spoken out loud to the gods (any god that would listen :rofl:), got resolved with such ease I was left speechless. :flushed:

So I tried again, another dreamwalk to see what would happen. How to experience Hades, how to get to know this famous greek deity. I noticed Loki just let me go on this journey alone, normally he joins me, but this time he didn’t :thinking:.

So after my nightly ritual, I went to sleep. This time I slept and dreamt. I arrived in a dusty land at night. It was a semi warzone, but it was a religious war (both factions worshipping same gods but in different ways). The war and the soldiers were being manipulated by AI, and didn’t seem to realise they were actually both on the same side. I was stuck in the middle of this battle, not seen by anyone but I wasn’t invisible. I asked why I was here, is there a reason that I was in this dream. Then I tripped and fell into this ditch. I started to feel cold and everything slowed down, even the soldiers stopped fighting. Everything just stopped. Bullets frozen in midair, the weather stopped, the fires froze. It’s like a pause button had been pressed. The only thing that spoke was the AI and I realised in that moment the AI was infact Hades. I could feel palpitations in my chest but couldn’t do anything about it. Then they too froze. As I lay there getting colder and colder it dawned on me that Hades was showing me the importance of life. To live your life. To not get caught up in the cycle of madness that’s around me, everyday and to not be manipulated by the world and it’s views, be open to what life can show you before your life is gone. It was like all these thoughts flashed through my mind as I lay there, frozen in time. It felt a little scary, it did. :flushed: Hades was showing me how easily we allow ourselves to be pushed this way, that way, when really, just stop. Just stop and breathe and let things come to you. I’m moving too fast, and I’m missing stuff. When I woke up the following morning, I felt a little nauseous and had a very sweet tea. But the dream has stuck with me, and won’t leave.

I wasn’t going to put an entry in, but I haven’t done for awhile so here it is. There’s no backstory or history lesson here as to who Hades is, but then I feel he doesn’t need any introduction. He must be one of the most known greek gods in the world, what more could I say about him. :person_shrugging::partying_face:

So that was what he showed me, that was his lesson for me. Would I dreamwalk with him again? Probably not, I’m happy where I am, but I will take his lesson to heart and have decided to switch off the news for good, and not get caught up in the ever changing opinions of humans, and just embrace everything. I may even start looking more at other systems of the craft and expand my horizons more, maybe that was part of his message too. I don’t know, and I don’t know if this is a valid greek god entry :person_shrugging:

Hail Hades. :sparkling_heart:

13 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I do not work directly with the deities of ancient Rome and Greece in terms of worship or offerings but they do play a huge role in 2 practices that I do work with: Planetary Magick and Astrology. Therefore, I have explored the link between the God, why the Romans named each planet with each God and how their traits relate to those of Astrology.

The Planets are named after Roman deities (and one Greek) and the names were chosen because of the qualities associated with their namesakes:

Mercury is the Roman messenger of the Gods. He was also a God of commerce, trade and travel (hence his winged sandals). He was also linked to trickery and thievery illustrated in the story of him stealing cattle, which was witnessed by Battis.

The planet Mercury was visible to the Romans. They associated with their messenger deity due to its quick movement through the sky. In Astrology, Mercury is linked with communication, intellect, business success and travel, linking it to the qualities of its Roman namesake.

Venus is the Roman Goddess of love and beauty as well as feartility and aesthetics. She was born after Saturn castrated Uranus and threw his genitals into the sea. This created a swirling foam from which the Goddess emerged the Goddess. She came ashore on a seashell. Venus was married to the fire God Vulcan but is also known for her affair with Mars. Vulcan tricked them and caught them under a net, reveallinh their affair to the other Gods and Goddesses.

The planet Venus was visible to the Romans as the brightest and most beautiful star in the morning/evening sky, hence its naming after the Goddess of beauty. In Astrology, Venus helps to define who we fall in love with, who we are attracted to as well as our sense of style, creativity and sensuality. It can also bring infidelity if negatively placed, thus linking it to positive and negative aspect of the Goddess’ mythology.

Mars is the God of War and protector of Rome, the city founded by his sons Romulus and Remus. He is also associated with agriculture and was the patron of Roman Soldiers. Mars was seen as the guardian of the Emperor. It is said that he was unpopular among the Gods because of his love of war and violence but was widely popular among the people of Rome. Mars had a love affair with Venus, resulting in the birth of Cupid.

The planet Mars was visible to the Romans. Its red appearance linked it to the blood spilled in battle and therefore to their God of war and destruction. In Astrology, Mars represents assertion and ambition, drive and passion. It brings our fighting spirit and courage but can also bring aggression, violence and anger. Mars is the planet of masculinity and physicality. These link perfectly to the traits of the Roman God.

Jupiter is the King of the Roman Gods and God of the sky and thunder. He is the chief God of the Roman pantheon and brought happiness and luck to the people of Rome (his alternative name was Jove, which links to the word jovial). Jupiter had many siblings, all of whom were eaten by their father, Saturn. Jupiter was sent away after birth to prevent the same fate. Jupiter returned as Saturn’s cupbearer, poisoning him and forcing his father to cough up his siblings. Together, they overthrew their father and divided the realms of the universe between them.

Jupiter was also visible to the Romans. It was the largest “star” in the sky and was therefore linked to their most important deity. In astrology, Jupiter is associated with growth and expansion (physical, spiritual and emotional) as well as luck and optimism. It also represents a person’s beliefs and morals, reflecting the deity who established the Roman protocols for worship and offering.

Saturn is the Roman God of time, cycles and of agriculture. He is wise and creates order from chaos. Saturn was the father of, among others, Jupiter, Neptune and Pluto. He feared being overthrown and so ate his children. All except Jupiter, who returned and poisoned his father, forcing him to cough up the devoured children. Together, the siblings united and overthrew their father.

Saturn was visible to the Romans, although they were unaware of its magnificent ring system. In Astrology, Saturn represents patience, discipline and hard work, reminiscent of the qualities needed for a successful agricultural harvest, which the god precided over. The astrological trait of wisdom from maturity also links with Saturn’s role as father of the Gods and the wisdom he collected over time. The astrological link to consequences are shown through his own fate when Saturn tried to cling to power y any means necessary.

The remaining planets were not visible to the Romans (nor are they to use without a telescope). However, their discovery at different points continued the tradition of naming them after Roman deities (apart from 1):

Uranus is the only planet named after a Greek God rather than a Roman one. This is said to be because the discoverer, William Herschel was well versed in Greek mythology. If the Roman name had been used, the planet would be called Caelus. Uranus as a sky God may have been chosen to link with the planets sky blue appearance.

Uranus was the Greek god of the Sky and Heavens (a role later taken by Zeus). He was the first ruler of the cosmos. This links with the astrological traits of innovation, change and disruption of order. The astrological trait of a revolutionary is also illustrated through Uranus being overthrown by the young Saturn. It represents the breaking away from norms and traditions. The God’s role of Lord of the heavens also reflects the astrological idea of vision and seeing the bigger picture.

Neptune is named after the Roman God of the sea, perhaps due to its deep blue appearance. In Astrology, Neptune is linked to empathy, compassion and emotional esnsivitiy, all very “watery” qualities. The spirituality, dreaminess and imagination that Neptune brings mirrors the depths and mystery of the ocean. While the God protected sailors, he also brought storms and shipwrecks, just like the astrological namesake brings confusion, Escapism and addictions.

Pluto is named after the Roman God of the Underworld due to its sheer distance from us, where it is extremely cold, dark and somewhat mysterious. In Astrology, Pluto is associated with taboo, our shadow and deeply buried fears, linking it to the God’s realm of the dead. The astrological link to transformation links to the cycle of life and death, of which the Roman God was a huge part.

Image created on Canva

Blessed be

Alan

16 Likes