🏛 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Greek & Roman Traditions and Magick

Beautiful entry hun! I think that is a very important lesson. I do everything I can not to get caught up in the world affairs and just embrace what I have and what comes to me. I have been so much happier since I started doing this and my depression has gotten so much better. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

10 Likes

Love this! Thank you for this entry. I was not aware of how these planets got there names. It all makes perfect sense now. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

10 Likes

A lovely message from dear Hades. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: This has been my partner’s thing to nag people with for a long time, but it took me quite a few years to actually get it and how to implement it into my life. :rofl:

If this isn’t a valid Greek God entry then whose is?! :rofl: We don’t all go into backstories or histories—a lot of us just share our personal experiences. So don’t worry. It’s perfect. :black_heart:

9 Likes

@Mystique @starborn Thankyou lovelies :sparkling_heart:

9 Likes

Thabk you so much. It is so interesting that the way the Romans saw their deities continues in how those who follow astrology see the planets. Its like their everlasting legacy.

9 Likes

This took so long that I’m now in Sunday. :crazy_face: But here’s my challenge entry:

I want to write more, but I’ll save it for another time. :smile:

10 Likes

Challenge Entry

Pantheons are most used in modern witchcraft, below I will list the Greek and Roman Pantheons these will only get you started.

Greek Pantheon:
Zeus: Divine god
Hera: Wife of Zeus, mother goddess
Apollo: God of prophecy, archery, and music
Aphrodite: Goddess of love
Ariadne: Goddess of the labyrinth
Aries: God of action and war
Artemis: Goddess of the hunt and protection
Athena: Goddess of war and wisdom
Calliope: muse of epic poetry (female)
Cllio: muse of history (female)
Demeter: Earth goddess
Dionysus: God of wine and esctasy
Eileithia: Goddess of childbirth
Erato: muse of love poetry (female)
Eros: God of love
Euterpe: muse of music (female)
Gaia: Primal earth goddess
Hecate: Goddess of Witchcraft, ghosts, and the dead
Hades: God of the underworld
Helios: God of the sun
Hephaistos: God of sun, fire, and forge
Hermes: Messenger to the gods (male)
Hestia: Goddess of hearth and home
Melpomene: muse of tragedy (female)
Metis: Wisdom
Moerae: Three goddess of fate – Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos
Mnemosyne: Goddess of memory, mother of Muses
Nike: Goddess of victory
Pan: God of the Forests
Persephone: Queen of the underworld
Phoebe: Goddess of the moon
Polyhymnia: muse of singing (female)
Poseidon: God of the sea
Psyche: Goddess of the soul
Terpsichore: muse of dance (female)
Tethys: Goddess of the sea
Thalia: muse of comedy (female)
Theia: Goddess of light
Urania: muse of astronomy (female)

Roman Pantheon
Jupiter: Great God, storms, thunder, and lightning
Juno: Queen of Gods; women, marriage, childbirth, household prosperity
Apollo: God of the sun, music, poetry, fine arts, [rophecy, eloquence, and
medicine
Bacchus: God of liquid spirits, fruits, and parties
Ceres: Goddess of harvest, agriculture, fertility, and fruitfulness
Cupid: God of love and passion
Diana: Goddess of the moon, hunting, children, and Witches
Fanus:: God of the woodlands
Fates: Three goddesses of destiny; daughters of the night
Flora: Goddess of nature
Furies: Goddess of vengeance
Janus: Two-faced god of beginnings
Mars: God of war and action
Mercury: Messenger of the gods, trade and commerce, travelers
Minerva: Goddess of wisdom, practical arts, and war
Neptune: God of the sea, earthquakes, and horses
Pluto: God of the underworld
Saturn: God of the harvest and golden ages in history
Venus: Goddess of love
Vesta: Goddess of the hearth, home, and community
Vulcan: God of fire, craftspeople, metalworkers, and artisans.

Blessed Be :dizzy:

13 Likes

challenge entry

While playing D&D, I found a chart for the Greek Patheon in the Player’s Handbook. I was unsuccessful finding the Roman Patheon. I find the alignment columb and the information in the last column interesting.

14 Likes

Hahahaha i love The Simpsons

9 Likes

challenge entry

Sorry again for the writing but there it is. I avoid the comput like the plague when I am not at work.

I started investigating Diana but the then looked into the religion of Rome. Lots of fascinating stuff! I don’t cover it all.

Basically these two pics are of my notes from reading Britannica.com.

11 Likes

Challenge Entry - Greek & Roman Traditions and Magick

Appeal to Apollo

I call upon Athena frequently but have not paid as much attention to Apollo.
As June 2nd was one of Apollo’s sacred days, and it was a Sunday as well, I decided to ask for his support and guidance in a health matter I will be facing this week.
I downloaded the printable for Apollo in the course: The God’s Temple: Divine Masculine in Myth & Symbols. https://spells8.com/lessons/apollo-god-of-light-healing-and-inspiration/
I also used the Apollo sticker from Candle for Apollo to make an orange candle. https://forum.spells8.com/t/tea-blessing-prayer-magical-herbalism/2519
For my altar I used my oak wand with the clear quartz crystal point, the Apollo candle, an image of a wolf, a wooden apple, an amber stone, and a piece of sunstone. In an offering bowl I placed a bay leaf and some sunflower seeds.

In my ritual I used the Apollo Invocation from the printable sheet.
I asked him for support and guidance.
I also made a donation to my local hospital.

12 Likes

Ah, the Romans! Every time they conquered a new land, they had more gods in their pantheon xD

10 Likes

Challenge entree:

I have been on the Wiccan path and my first year studies of the tradition I was learning with honored the Roman Genius/Julo tradition.
This meant that I would offer a libation to my Higher Self and to the HS of the head of the house on their birthday.
I would sit and meditate for a few minutes, my libation on the altar and a candle lit in honor of the HS. I would invoke my HS and have a conversation with her about my day to come. This would also be the moment to ask her insights, support and offer my libation. The energy work would mean cleansing the libation and charging it with energy to offer my HS. The idea behind this is that when you strengthen you HS, he/she can help you better to get through the day with advise and support.
What I noticed that it did change my day to day life in a big way and after 3 months my life had changed completely in a very positive way.

I’ve always felt drawn to the Greek/Roman pantheon and I vibe with several Gods and Goddesses. When my husband and I visited Rome we ended up on the Forum and while walking through the archeological rests of the civilization as it was back then, things shifted for me. I was back in that time and turned out that I served as a vestal priestess. I was quite an overpowering experience.

Later we went on a last minute to Greece and we randomly picked Kos as our destination and when we went to the old city center the first day, I was suprised that the waitress spoke to us in English. My husband had one of those duhh… moments and reminded me that we were the tourists. I honestly thought I was home. The whole island felt like home. The plantan that Hypocrates thought his lessons felt so right. Sadly it was not available to sit under, because of its age and it already needed support to stay up. Later that week we had to visit the first hospital that Hypocrates founded nearby because my husband broke his wrist.
We visited several ruins and the tempel of Ascleapius was wonderful. I could see it in it’s full glory for a few minutes, it was great.

Whenever I prepare rituals I am always drawn to, and work with, the Greek/Roman Goddesses and Gods. I love them.

Hail Aphrodite, Artemis, Apollo and Poseidon

14 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

It’s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and haven’t done so already, please post about your challenge experience by the deadline:

Tuesday, June 4 at 7:00 AM ET (Eastern US Time)

Thank you to all those who have shared their Greek and Roman magick, wisdom, ties, and more with the coven so far! :olive:

If you haven’t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have time left to do so.

Blessed Be! :classical_building: :sparkles:

9 Likes

SO, I here is my entry for the challenge https://forum.spells8.com/t/for-the-challenge-entry-greek-roman-traditions-and-magick/51520

I still have to add some info about the myths but ok :joy:

11 Likes

For this one, I decided to pull an easy ritual out of one of my favorite books, Modern Witchcraft and the Greek Gods by Jason Mankey and Astrea Taylor.

This one is for Apollo, under the guide of Apollo Alekikakos, averter of evil. It seemed like a lovey protection ritual to do. I wanted to do it yesterday but it rained all day. So I was hoping the sun would come out today for it but it just doesn’t look like it’s happening. Hope you like the ritual.

MAGICK WITH APOLLO by Astrea Taylor

Spell to Avert Evil or Break a Curse

This spell calls upon Apollo in his Alexikakos epithet, which means “to ward off evil or break curses.” Ancient petitioners gave him votive offerings, or figurines, usually with a request written upon them. You can make your own votive offering from wood or clay, as many of the Greeks did, or you could buy something from a Witch store, craft store, or thrift store. Choose a figurine that represents you. This spell requires a shrine to Apollo. Ideally it will occur during the day to use Apollo’s association with light. Materials • Lyre music • Incense (preferably frankincense) • A lighter • A votive offering • A pencil or a fine-tipped marker to write on the votive Turn on the music and light the incense. Cleanse the votive with the incense and sunshine. Write your request on the votive, such as “Thank you, Apollo, for protecting me from all harm,” or “Break any curses laid upon me: past, present, or future.” When you’re done writing, say: Apollo Alexikakos, breaker of curses and averter of evil, I ask for you to _______ (your request, such as “protect me from all harm”). I offer you this votive as a token of my appreciation. Place the votive on your altar. Allow the incense to burn as long as possible. When it is no longer burning, turn off the lyre music. Recharge the offering whenever you need a boost in protection.

Mankey, Jason; Taylor, Astrea. Modern Witchcraft with the Greek Gods: History, Insights & Magickal Practice (pp. 133-134). Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD… Kindle Edition.

14 Likes

I never want this challenge to end! :smiling_face: It’s been so fun!

Meant to share these earlier but I pulled out the deities I mention in my entries from my Mythos tarot deck.

12 Likes

You and I both! :joy: I can not stop talking about this pantheon, even if I wanted to escape from it I can’t, ancient greek ruins are all over the place xD

10 Likes

Lovely entry!!! Enjoyed reading it :white_heart: I have yet to visit Greece, but it’s on my list and while I have been to Italy, we didn’t get to Rome. My SO wants to tour all the ruins and archeological sites as he studied Latin and philosophy in college and is also a history buff. I just want to visit the temples :wink: and eat and drink great food!

11 Likes

It’s funny that this challenge renewed that excitement and fascination I first felt in grade school learning about the Greek Pantheon. I think my next mini-challenge is to research and get a really well written and comprehensive hardcover book on the deities and mythology of Greece. I would love something to flip through and have near my desk.

I do need to start thinking about planning a trip to Greece. It would be a trip that would be more for me than my SO but I think he’d enjoy it as well. I would love to visit the temples, see the ruins, visit museums, and have things to bring home with me. Maybe I’ll make a deal if we go to Greece, I’ll go to Rome with him and tour all the things he wants to see (not that it would be a hardship really :laughing: )

9 Likes