šŸ¶ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magickal Inks & Oils

So it turns out that the water was the missing component, it activates the xanthan gum (or acacia / gum arabic) and makes the ink stick to the paper! :heart: Nail polish was a no go, turns out Iā€™d need some kind of a resin to make it to stick to the nail. Also the clumping is kind of a problem there, a tiny electric mixer would be perfect to make it more uniform. Stirring or shaking doesnā€™t really help there.

I created a simpler version of the sigil ink, just with the pigment / mica and the alcohol. I had some lovely glittery purple mica, I was happy with the color of the ink it turned into, but the glitter didnā€™t really transfer. :purple_heart:

Thank you for the challenge, this was a fun one! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

EDIT: Pictures for demonstration! :blush: Hereā€™s a very glittery finger :grin: :sparkles:

And hereā€™s a much less glittery pentagram, same ink :purple_heart:
Very happy with the color otherwise! :blush:

12 Likes

@Susurrus awwwwww twinsie thats what u have ME for? All u gotta do is ask. I love helping u. And learning from and with u. U are the BESTEST!!! Never forget u are AWESOME!!! LOVE U MY TWINSIE :purple_heart:

13 Likes

@BryWisteria hey Bry do i REALLY need to complete one, for this honor? :wink::wink:

Let me know if i need to make an entry? Lol

13 Likes

Ooohhhā€¦ Iā€™m so sorry I missed thisā€¦ that sounds like a great blend. I may have to try for the same reasons. I have an ancestor altar & use a pendulum, but a little added something sounds like it may strengthen that connection & experience.

@Hazel_Rae I think Iā€™m going to try creating some of the inks as well. Fellow journal nut! I donanoint my candles when I am working with my deities sometimes I dress them also, but thatā€™s still kind of new part of my practice. Iā€™m trying to incorporate herbs in more ways into my practice.

@Nixi a lot of times Iā€™m learning & relearning for similar issues. I always love the challenges too! Thats great that you were able to ise what you have too! Hooray for us Thrifty Witches!

@Ostaraā€¦ that is really interestingā€¦ I had no idea either & it makes sense considering their reason for using it. Iā€™m with @MeganB, learn something new everyday!

@Mistress_of_Herbs I know that, I just havenā€™t made it that far where Iā€™m actively learning, learningā€¦ but always love to make up yiur teas & oils that I do k ow how to work with :smiling_face: & thank you! A bit of weird day, so thank you for the lovely words :revolving_hearts:

I didnā€™t get to my challenge entry, or much of anything today. It was a lazier Sunday for me. Tomorrow though, back to my normal days & I am determined to get it done. I do have my paper, pen, & ink ready to go. Iā€™m going to write a spell? Petition? I want to kind of manifest or plant an intention for over the next few months. I just have to come up with wording & the other items Iā€™d like to place in the bottle with the spell? Petition? Then decide what I want to doā€¦ bury it in my yard, place it on 1 of my altars? :thinking:

The last couple of parts I can do after the writing though that will be for the challenge entry :hugs:

14 Likes

Thanks so much! I usually just buy my oils, so I had to improvise. And Iā€™ve been really getting into the Greek Gods lately so I was chuffed as heck to see her come in the mail.

12 Likes

Me too. Maybe weā€™re learning, maybe weā€™re relearning but either way weā€™re having fun. Plus the topic is put in front of us instead of wandering around trying to figure out where to start.

Part of one of my grandmotherā€™s signature sayings was ā€œā€¦ make it do or do withoutā€ Plus I havenā€™t really mastered gluten free baking so I needed a use for the Xanthan

9 Likes

Challenge entry

Last week I made divination oil and it is infusing. I had cast a circle, lit a candle and used stones on my altar.

Here it is infusing:

As that was last week, I made an oil this week. I wanted to make an ink but have had family visiting so the oil was simpler.

I made a rosemary oil as I want to encourage hair growth and memory. I wrote a spell- still a newbie at that so not really a rhyming one. :slight_smile:

Oil of rosemary
Massaged into my skin
Seep, soak & nurture
It is time, so letā€™s begin
My memory:
It is phenomenal
Great retention and recall
My luscious hair:
It grows quick and thick
Strong and long
As this spell harms none
So mote it be, it is done.

(Thanks to @MeganB for the hair part -quick thick strong and long)

Although this is not an oil, I am super excited as I am making vanilla extract. There are three the difference is the alcohol- brandy, bourbon, vodka.

15 Likes

Garnet
My gosh I am so glad :smiley: pulled my head up so I could join our challenge!
I really appreciate this challenge & your post! I think I am going to copy and paste it in Notion in my Book If Shawdows!

Very True even if it leaves you blue! Sometimes it takes the wind to push me back before I move forward! I heard this quote today and really resonated with me! Then I saw your post and I thought well I wished for better health! Any hoo I am working on my challenge and I have been really excited to make a candle with oil!

This is a really easy oil candle to enhance your rituals!
Olive Oil
Jar
Candle Wic
Glue Gun
Or
Yarn braided soaked in borax!
First figure out how you want your wic!
I am going to try using yarn :yarn: next time because I am having trouble keeping the candle lit! So I will post hopefully by the end of this challenge!
Pour olive oil just about to the top
I added lots of essential oils to my oil
3 drops Jasmine
3 drops Lime
3 drops Lemon :lemon:
3 drops Neroli
3 drops Orange :tangerine: Extract
3 drops Tonka bean

To make a cotton wick, soak twine in a Borax and salt solution for 24 hours. After drying for 2-3 days, dip the wick in candle wax .
I also added some botanicals in my oil.
Rose :rose:
Lavander
Fennel
Rosemary
I tried at first making a candle with yarn and found out the hard way it goes out. since I didnā€™t have borax to soak my yarn! I am running back to the store to find some. For the purpose of the challenge I am posting this now!

I also have been learning more about
Jasmine I found out Planet- Mercury
Moon :last_quarter_moon_with_face::new_moon_with_face::first_quarter_moon_with_face:
Elements -Earth, Water :sweat_drops:
Fairies :woman_fairy:
Astrological- Pices
Rhiannon
The Goddess Rhiannon Queen of Fairies :woman_fairy: You can use jasmine as well as a tailsman! Itā€™s good for self work and well thatā€™s what I am working towards! I really want to be healthy!
Rose will help me nurture myself back to health!
Orange :tangerine: is good for the immune system and it has a really great smell!

Ailey Grey - I absolutely loved your poetry
Soifra Strega- I was inspired by tamed and wild for this body ritual oil and loved the smell so I re made this oil! Thank you :blush:
I seriously appreciate all of your entries and am scrolling through all
Of you adding lots of hearts :heart: and love!
Phoenix Rose :rose:
I love your candles :candle: and that Rosemary is definitely magical by all means every witch needs Rosemary!! I absolutely love Rosemary itā€™s my favorite to cook with and makes a great oil! I love Rosemary!! You are blessed :innocent:
Jeannie

15 Likes

Challenge Entry

This weekend I made a magickal ink using blackberries and wild violets. Keeping in mind the ingredientsā€™ properties of protection and tranquility, I used the ink to paint words and some basic but meaningful symbols. I just love looking at the creations and seeing the deep pink and purple hues is really lovely.

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing this oil recipe, sounds lovely!

10 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to share this detailed info!

10 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for sharing your creations! So inspiring :heartpulse:

10 Likes

Back to the drawing boardā€¦the cornstarch turned the liquid ink into a solid gel overnight. It was great ar first. Lol. Remaking with gum arabic as soon as i can find some!

9 Likes

Goodness there are so many beautiful entries here! :heart_eyes: And the pictures! Wow! :star: Donā€™t mind while I fawn over everyoneā€™s work this week- Iā€™m still catching up on the weekend entries, but everything Iā€™ve seen so far has been amazing! :clap::two_hearts:

Iā€™ve just been catching up from over the weekend and I have to agree wholeheartedly, Hazel Rae! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The skills of the coven truly shine bright- there are so many wonderful entries here. Ours is one talented coven! :heart::hugs:

Hahaha if this was a judgement of talent I would absolutely comp you in, my friend- your talents with oils are infamous! :star2: :blush:

However, these challenges are a competition between you and yourself- they are about improving and enhancing your own practice. An entry can be about anything at all related to the theme, at any ā€œlevelā€ of the Craft- but, as stated in the challenge rules, it must be an active display of working on the theme.

I know you do truly amazing work with your oils- did you happen to craft any this week? If so, all youā€™d need to do is share a bit about what you were working on, label it as your challenge entry, and it would be my honor to send you a shiny new badge :handshake: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :trophy:

Much love and many blessings! :heart:

11 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

Itā€™s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and havenā€™t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline:

ā†’ February 28, 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)

Look at all those inks and oils- the coven has risen to the challenge again this week, and in such colorful, beautiful, and creative ways! :star_struck: Thank you so much to everyone who has joined in so far :pray::heart:

If you havenā€™t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have a bit of time left to do so!

Blessed Be! :sake: :sparkles:

11 Likes

Challenge Entry

I created a magickal calming courage oil to help give me strength, especially when Iā€™m struggling with listening to my intuition or chasing after my dreams. I used:

• Coconut oil
  • Essential oils: lavender and bergamot
  • Herbs: lavender, thyme, and chamomile
  • Crystals: tigerā€™s eye, amethyst and clear quartz

I couldnā€™t find my rollerballs to use so I put it into one of my jars I had set aside for spells. I didnā€™t realize it until after that you could easily see the movement of the herbs and crystals throughout the jar. So it has a bonus calming effect similar to the glitter calming jars you can make. :relaxed:

But I set my intentions while I made it and have it set where I can easily see it each day now. I havenā€™t tried magickal inks yet, but Iā€™m adding that to my (never-ending) list of things to explore!

12 Likes

Challenge entry

As always, this was well timed & exciting. Iā€™ve been eyeballing some dip pen sets so this encouraged me to make a decision! I found a beautiful glass dip pen set with 12 inks on Amazon for less than $30. I made some Witches Blessing Oil. I had to research some substitutions because I didnā€™t have any camphor or patchouli. I used this site for the subs. I used eucalyptus instead of camphor & vetiver instead of patchouli. I blessed my drip pen with the oil & used the candle color correspondences to pick the ink color. The first thing I wrote with the pen was, in purple ink mixed with Blessing Oil: ā€œThis pen is magickal & will help me work towards my greatest good.ā€ I am going to be penning friendship blessing/gratitude cards to my dearest and will send them once my wax seal supplies arrive. I found a set on Temu with a star, a planet, & a rocket! (Nickname Shine, last name Rockett! Yesssspllllzzzzzzz)

Still working on trying to make a stamp of my sigil. Cork is an unacceptable medium lol. If anyone has any suggestions, Iā€™ll gladly take them.

14 Likes

Jade Mermaid :mermaid:
Your ink sounds spectacular and I never knew one could make ink out of a berry! :blueberries:
So question to you my dear witchy friend. If I smash
the blueberry :blueberries: Is this a one time deal ? Moreover, will I need another ingredient to make sure it doesnā€™t go bad?
Jeannie

Shine :sparkles:
I am glad you shared your thoughts :thought_balloon: I believe
I am trying to do things for my greatest good too! I am sending you lots of positive vibes and thoughts for your journey! Here are some of my affirmations I wrote last night so maybe you can use some to experiment with!

I think your gratitude letters will turn out great :blush: the ink is so magical! I love your intentions there great! I love that you left a link to purchase this ink I think I will try this one! Have you thought of mixing a color or two?
Jeannie

13 Likes

@Jeannie1 yep yep! Gonna have to get some more little jars first tho (an excuse to acquire more jars! Lol) Thank you for the affirmations. My self is my greatest struggle :pensive:

10 Likes

WWC Entry- Magickal Inks & Oils

I will edit and add pictures later.

I had to learn how to make a quill :feather: for this challenge. I watched a couple of you tubes and my feather pen worked!

For my ink, I mortered up some flower pieces from the day lilies I dried. Its the inside part of the flower and its powdery and has lots of color. I donā€™t know what that part is called. I will look it up. :sunflower: :blossom:
My intended use is to write anything painful that I want to get rid of.
In China they believe that Day lilies can help forget difficult memories even of sorrow and pain.
I have saved some of the same part from other flowers and I intend on making them into ink as well. They are more purple color.
:butterfly:

15 Likes