šŸ›Ÿ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magickal Safety

Challenge Entry

So as I was doing my research and spreadsheet for Witchy Shower Steamers, I had to be cautious about what Essential Oils I was using for the recipes I selected to actually craft.

I have two cats who love to come sit in the bathroom with me while I am showering so I did some research on Essential Oil safety for pets.

I researched mostly veterinarian sites and came up with these two lists, one for cats and one for dogs. Remember do your research, especially with Essential Oils, they are volatile compounds derived from plants are are very concentrated. I always use the (canary in the coal mine anyone?) line of thought when using EOā€™s :
:cat:

:dog:

13 Likes

Challenge entry - what I do for safety when doing spells is cast a circle. :o: Some people use a athame but I use either palo santo or sage to cast the circle I use sage to clear out negativity energy and palo santo to bring in positive. If Iā€™m doing a spell when the veil is thin then I light black candles and I use my protection potion to anoint the candles and my third eye chakra. I also perform egg cleanses (limpia) and spiritual baths for ritual negative energy protection and to clear any blockages before spell casting. :pentagram: :blue_heart::blue_heart:

13 Likes

I absolutely love this!

Thank you
From Cloud, Bubbles and Magic :paw_prints: :paw_prints: :paw_prints:
:joy_cat:

11 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge Entry For Amethyst

When I use candles, I put either a marble coaster underneath it or a, whatchamacallit, a trivet underneath it. That way if it burns it wonā€™t catch my papers on fire.

You can even go to a Home Improvement store and buy tiles to put underneath them and get pretty ones too! It also catches most of the wax drippings so your altar clothes will be saved.

I also like to have a candle going all day but since I canā€™t watch it all the time, I have a battery-operated one. Mine even changes colors so I can have it to the color of the day!

Just a couple of ideas that I use to keep my apartment from burning down. LOL!

12 Likes

:joy: yup! That was me! It came from a very high-end store: Dollarama!! :snowflake:

11 Likes

Challenge Entry

This weekā€™s challenge theme is perfectly timed ā€“ the past few months, I havenā€™t been too engaged with my practice, but with things starting to get a bit calmer in my life, Iā€™ve been able to dive back into it. Because Iā€™ve been so out of practice, I hadnā€™t been taking as many protective measures as I used to.

Every night before bed, and whenever I feel I need a little extra boost of protection, Iā€™ve been doing @BryWisteriaā€™s Quick Double-Layer Circle Protection. It is my favorite protective measure Iā€™ve come across so far, so I wanted to give it a much-deserved shout-out! <3

I am someone who wants to welcome my ancestors and other beneficial spirits into my life, so when Iā€™m casting the circles in the Quick Double Layer Circle Protection, I include words about how I want the circles to still permit my ancestors who genuinely wish me well, as well as any protective spirits who wish me well.

In addition to the Double-Layer Circle Protection, I also often include the ā€œPrayer for Blessingsā€ from page 25 of Mat Aurynā€™s second book, Mastering Magick: A Course in Spellcasting for the Psychic Witch:

Spirit guides, allies, ancestors, and divinity
I ask for guidance for what is appropriate for me
I ask for your blessings upon this day
I ask to make known my True Willā€™s way
Blessings of protection, blessings of wealth
Blessings of happiness, blessings of health
Blessings of wisdom, blessings of peace
Blessings from the North, West, South, and East
So that the work of my will may be unimpeded
So that my impact is beneficial where needed

I have also included a picture of my grimoire page where I have both the ā€œPrayer for Blessingsā€ and the Quick Double-Layer Circle Protection copied down, as well as the page for the corresponding ā€œgrimoire commentary notebookā€ to prove that I cite my sources and that Iā€™m not trying to take credit for anything written in my grimoire :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to think of how to approach this challenge, and I think Iā€™m just going to list out a few ways that I practice safe witchery!

1. No crystals in water.
  2. Never leave a candle burning unattended.
  3. Always research the herbs Iā€™m using.
  4. No eating or otherwise ingesting something Iā€™m not 100% sure is safe.
  5. No inviting in spirits that Iā€™m not familiar with.
  6. No dedicating myself to deities or other spirits without knowing who Iā€™m dealing with.
  7. Always respecting the natural world around me to the best of my ability.
  8. Practicing regular self and home cleanses.
  9. Practicing regular self and home protection.
  10. Always take notes of spells, rituals, and meditations for later reflection.
15 Likes

Now why didnā€™t I think of that? Excellent idea!

9 Likes

LOL! You can even get the pretty ones and match them up to the elements if you want.

9 Likes

Challenge Entry - Magickal Safety

While I love flame and candles, I love cats more and the two donā€™t mix. Iā€™ve switched almost completely to flameless candles. Itā€™s nice that the technology has advanced so that they look and flick realistically, plus it makes me feel better not having to worry about a kitty tipping over a candle or getting burned. There are occasions when I do want a flame for a ritual and on those occasions is a ā€œNo Kitty Zoneā€ with them locked out of the room until after the flame is extinguished.

By the same token, all of my essential oils and herbs are put safely out of reach in glass containers that they canā€™t access. Critters are too curious sometimes for their own good and I never assume they wonā€™t mess with something that could be potentially harmful. I make sure to take extra steps to keep potentially harmful oils, crystals, and herbs safely out of their reach and their sight!

Pictures of the cute-but-too-inquisitive-for-his-own-good Turbo Kitty

14 Likes

OMG THAT LITTLE MLEM THO :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat: Also, kudos for being such a good furparent! :smiling_face::smiling_face:

9 Likes

You are seriously the best. Amazing idea

8 Likes

That remains one of my favorite (and quickest!) protective spells before bed- I use it whenever Iā€™m on the road and sleeping in an unfamiliar place. Iā€™m really happy itā€™s been useful for you, @Jewitch! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

Itā€™s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and havenā€™t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline:

ā†’ Tuesday, Aug 8 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)

Bravo to all those who have shared their magickal safety so far- from experiences to advice, to protective spellwork to safety tips and much more, it has been a pleasure (and very educational!) to hear your thoughts about magickal safety. Thank you very much to everyone who has shared an entry! :pray:

If you havenā€™t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have a bit of time left to do so!

(Also hello to all of the very cute kitties here- everyoneā€™s furry friends are adorable! :black_cat: :two_hearts: )

Blessed Be! :ring_buoy: :sparkles:

9 Likes

I have learned the hard way to be safe with a lot of things I use.

First off, candles. I still use real candles, since I like the actual flame (I know silly but meh Iā€™m me). I have had some close calls so now I make sure they are safely away from any thing that may catch, I use little tealights that are in containers that wonā€™t tip and use sand in the containers for stability.

As protection, I wear a crystal that promotes calm (I have anxiety) or protection/warding off negative energies. I find that has made a huge difference, as I no longer get bothered as much at work when I have a nasty caller I need to deal with. I also, when needed and feel like something negative is being a pain, visualize a bubble around me of shiny blue flame that eats negative energies before reaching me. Another good one that had made a difference.

I also make sure that when I do happen to do a spell that requires a circle (not often anymore, to be honest), that I close it properly, with the proper respect to dieities and the elements.

13 Likes

Challenge Entry

As a baby witch, magick is new to me, but much of the mundane crosses overā€¦ My biggest concern for safety, mundane or magickal is respect for the heat while working outside in the garden.

I am careful with candles of course and not leaving crystals in the sun to start fires, not ingesting things like crystal water or herbs of dubious character. But my craft has not advanced enough to invite dieties, or to cast spells that might backfire on me (other than that toad thing) :rofl:

I wish you all Love, and stay safeā€¦ and watch out for Sea Serpents today and everydayā€¦ but today especially. :sweat_smile: :people_hugging:

11 Likes

@Shadeweaver Fabulous photos. Funny you mention sea serpents. They are doing a more intense search for Nessy The Lochness Monster. It was on the news today. :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

I Love it when things like that cross dimensions :rofl: :imp: :people_hugging:

10 Likes

Thanks, @Nixi! Hope that gave you ideas!

7 Likes

Challenge Entry

So, amazing entries from Everyone so far :blush:

Iā€™m trying to think & currently the main things that come to mind are:

• Aside from not leaving a candle unattended I also:

• put jar candles in a shallow bowl of water
    • put my chime candles in chime candle holders inside a votive holder on top of a small plate
  • Incense I burn on top on or in a holder on top of a disposable pie plate

• Offerings that involve both all go on the disposable pie plate

• Researching herbs or anything being ingested before using them

• Researching essential oils before using them in diffusers or otherwise for my own conditions/reactions & my fur babies

11 Likes