:silver_heart: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Morality in Magick

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

It’s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and haven’t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline:

Tuesday, Dec 5 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)

The entries shared so far have all been beautiful :clap: :heart: I know I said it before, but I’ll say it again because I think it’s important to acknowledge- ethics can be a really challenging topic. It’s an area deeply interwoven into experiences, some of which may be difficult to think through. So a big round of applause to all those who dived in and pondered on the theme this week- well done everyone who has explored the topic on their own, and a big thank you to everyone who has shared an entry with the Coven so far! :grey_shades_heart: :pray:

If you haven’t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have a bit of time left to do so.

Blessed Be! :silver_heart: :sparkles:

13 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

When it comes to Morality in Magick, I tend to keep my description simple yet each one has its own amount of detail.

First - I strongly believe that “whatever you put out, you get back times three”. I’ve seen this happen to several formal individuals in my life. One particularly person prided herself on her smile, when she wronged someone close to her, Karma took away her smile by causing her to lose one of her front teeth.

Second - I also practice the law of “if it harms none, do what ye will”. Not only do I reframe from casting spells that would cause harm towards, I strive to net even wish hard to them (even if they have harmed me). After all, it’s been said that when you believe in and eye for an eye, you evidently end up blind.

Lastly - My personal moral mantra is also just as simple.
Help whenever/however possible.
Remain as grounded and balanced as possible (don’t give into drama).
Never pass judgement on others.
Live as harmonious of a life that one can.

17 Likes

Challenge Entry

I don’t personally engage in Black or Baneful Magick. I believe that the energies we put out into the world have repercussions, and I prefer to focus on positive and constructive practices. Magic, to me, is about harnessing energies for growth, healing, and understanding rather than for harm or manipulation. Everyone has their own beliefs and ethical codes when it comes to magic, and for me, practicing with good intentions is key.

Love spells can be a complex topic. On one hand, the idea of influencing someone’s feelings or actions through magic can raise ethical concerns about consent and free will. It’s essential to respect individuals’ autonomy and not manipulate their emotions against their will.

However, there are forms of love spells that focus on attracting love, enhancing self-love, or fostering positive energies that might bring compatible and healthy relationships into one’s life. These types of spells often center around self-improvement and openness to love rather than directly targeting a specific person.

In essence, the intention behind the spell matters significantly. If the spell aligns with ethical considerations, promotes positivity, respects free will, and doesn’t seek to control or manipulate others, it might be seen as a means of channeling intentions for personal growth and openness to love.

I believe it’s crucial to respect the autonomy and consent of others in any magical practice. Performing spells or rituals that directly involve or target another person without their knowledge or consent can raise ethical concerns. It’s important to consider the potential impact on that individual and their free will.

Seeking permission or consent before casting any spell or working magic that involves another person is not only respectful but also aligns with ethical practices. It ensures that everyone involved is comfortable and willing to participate in the energetic work being done. If the spell is intended to affect someone else, their agreement or at least their awareness of the intention is key to maintaining ethical boundaries.

Spells/Intentions that Align with My Morals:

1. Self-Love and Confidence Spell: Focused on enhancing one’s self-esteem, fostering self-acceptance, and promoting personal growth.
  2. Healing and Emotional Well-being: Spells aimed at emotional healing, inner peace, and mental clarity to help navigate life’s challenges.
  3. Positive Energy and Protection: Casting spells to invite positive energy, protect oneself or a space from negativity, and promote a sense of safety and security.

Spells/Intentions that I Would Never Cast:

1. Manipulative Love Spells: Any spell aimed at controlling or manipulating someone else’s feelings or actions against their will.
  2. Harmful Curses or Hexes: Spells intended to cause harm, suffering, or misfortune to others. Intentionally directing negative energy toward someone else.
  3. Financial Gain through Manipulation: Spells geared towards exploiting or manipulating financial situations or individuals for personal gain.

Grey Area Spells/Intentions (might consider under specific circumstances):

1. Binding Spells for Protection: In situations where someone poses a threat or danger, a binding spell could be considered to protect oneself or others, but only after exhausting other non-magical avenues.
  2. Truth Spells for Clarity: Under circumstances where clarity and honesty are crucial, a truth spell might be considered cautiously, with a strong emphasis on ethical implications and potential consequences.
  3. Influence-Free Will Spells: Spells designed to subtly influence situations without impinging on anyone’s free will. For example, spells to increase the likelihood of a successful job interview without impacting the decisions of the interviewers.

The distinction between these categories lies in the ethical considerations, respecting others’ autonomy, and ensuring that the intentions behind the spells align with positive, constructive, and responsible magical practices.

18 Likes

Challenge Entry

• How do you feel about using Black/Baneful Magick in your practice?

If deserved, it then becomes a Justice spell. Binding and banishing, when needed, definitely go for it. Cursing and hexing, better to perform a Justice/Return to sender spell, giving way to a higher authority to levy the scales of Justice, just so to not be revenge. Revenge spells I personally don’t like, I feel it doesn’t add to peace or harmony, but more discord. Me personally, I don’t put curses cause I feel it’s too excessive, but I don’t rule that out, just I’m not there and I want to take care to not get there, that’s when things really go bad. I have done small hexes and jinxes, not to harm but send a message to stop a certain disruptive behavior in my space. I don’t have the time to go after, chase, wrangle, and hunt everything down physically to keep my space in the clear, so I resort to jinxing and hexing lightly.
The thing about doing these hexes, or jinxes, if I behave in same manner for which I sent out the jinx/hex. It will come back. I felt it once come back, it was weirdest, it was painful, and hard to dismiss it as something other than it returning to me. It was good though. Learned from it.

• How do you feel about casting Love Spells?
    I wouldn’t cast them. But if someone else wants to. I would advise against it. But I do know people lead others on and play games, worse use unethical psychological techniques to get someone emotionally invested, if someone is desperate cause some guy or gal playing them. If they feel they need to perform a love spell, go for it. But I would recommend doing a love spell on oneself to love oneself more so he/she doesn’t get so attached to another like that. Sometimes I see these love spells as a form of Justice too.

• Do you feel you must ask someone’s permission before casting on/for them?
    Yes and no. If it deals with my family, like my husband or kid, it hasn’t gotten to that point, things are good. But if I ever need to. Perform a binding or banishing or protection or whatever I need to do to keep my family intact. I won’t ask them for “permission”, I am the permission. One thing with performing spells is to not let anyone know you’re doing it for it to work (this is why I’m holding myself back from sharing exactly what I’ve done).

If it deals with other people, I wouldn’t cast. Only if the person comes and asks me specifically to, but still it depends what type of spell. I wouldn’t cast a Justice spell or put a jinx on someone’s behalf cause I don’t know the situation directly. I have to know directly if the person is deserving or not. Even then I would just coach the other person on how to perform one, and let them do it themselves.

• Do you follow a code of ethics from a magickal or spiritual tradition (such as the Wiccan Rede, Threefold Law, karma, Law of Attraction, etc)?

My code of ethics right now is, do to others as you want done to yourself. So when I cast a jinx or hex for whatever, if I commit the same transgression, it will come back to me too. Honestly, I welcome that, cause I don’t want to treat others bad or do others wrong like that, especially if someone deals with me in good faith and I do that person wrong, let it come back to me.

————-

Write a list of three spells or intentions that you feel align with your morals: abundance spells, justice spells, jinxes/hexes, and good luck spells.

Three spells or intentions that you would never cast: break up a married couple, to break up a family, or forcing a spirit to work my will.

And then three more things that are “grey”- you wouldn’t usually do them, but might cast them under certain circumstances: curses, love spells, and calling forth certain spirits.

14 Likes

Thank you @Jeannie1

14 Likes

Challenge entry- I believe in the Wiccan rede “ Harm none and do as you will” I also
believe in the three fold law written by @Francisco that “ We are a magnet, and our intentions, thoughts, beliefs, emotions, and actions can dictate much more of what we experience coming into our life than one simple spell.

The Law of Attraction

My believe on baneful magic comes from a post @BryWisteria once shared about black magic

This quote resonates with my heart I have learned many things from the witches here on spells 8 that have both helped shape my morality and my craft. :infinite_roots::sparkles::sparkling_heart:

15 Likes

It’s interesting that you include Truth spells in ethics. I was always the type to find Truth when it was being hidden- something Mom taught by hating and seeking out secrets. I learned to cast Truth spells on myself just because I was the one who wanted to know what was going on around me, to understand how the world worked when people refused to answer a simple question. Since my upbringing was so different from that of others, I seemed to ask a lot of questions that others thought I should already know. Their attitude that I was being stupid made it look like they were attempting to overthrow the government.

14 Likes

Morality in Magick - Entry!

Darkness-Light
Image Credit

:black_heart: Darkness teaches us about our power and strength.

:silver_heart: Light teaches us about our humanity and love.

The path I have walked through the years has changed many times. I have traveled into the light, the dark, and the shadows. I can’t say I have never done bad things or crossed the line.

When I was a youngster, I often had bad dreams and felt that I needed to protect myself, so I recited the Lord’s Prayer. Since I was raised as a Christian that’s what I knew. As a teen, I read everything I could find in the Library about witchcraft. I spent about 6 months learning about and working with demons. That was just a phase though, that quickly passed.

I kind of went overboard with the protection spells, because I was shutting everything out, good and bad. I later learned to send the negative energy back to the sender. Later I thought maybe that was not very ethical because sending the negative energy back seemed like it was only making things worse. So I learned how to transmute the negative into positive, which seemed so much more ethical to me.

I’ve only done one love spell ever, and that was on my high school sweetheart. We were married for 17 years, and breaking that spell was difficult after I left him. I no longer do love spells.

I like to ask for permission before doing a spell for someone. I also prefer to get permission before sending healing. However, I assume I have permission for the names in the Energy Exchange Circle!

I also work with light grids and portals sending healing to the earth and every living being on earth. I set the intention to be: for the best possible outcome and, sometimes I add to that, for everyone involved. I have learned how important the intentions I set are.

I always seek to not harm, but when it comes to entities and evil spirits my warrior witch comes out. So I take their banishment to the extreme!

With love :heart: and good intentions always

15 Likes

Challenge Entry

Morality… something to ponder be it mundane or magickal. One of the first things sacrificed when things get really tough, along with loyalty, friendship and many things we should hold more dear. :black_heart:

Why would I do something magickly to anyone that I wouldn’t want done to me. There are too many that throw their morals aside at a whim with no thought of how or to whom it may affect. I have always tried to look at things from the other persons perspective whether I agree with them or not. They always have something to impart to me. As to whether I find any value in it or not may be questionable. :sweat_smile:

I was drawn to Wicca because of the No Harm thing. Though I do not follow Wicca as such, like so many things, there are bits and pieces that ring true to me. Many paths have taught me. Magick has led me down many paths. Without this coven I surely would have gone even crazier than I was, but I have always had some moral standard and hope to keep it, though I’m sure it will change with time like all things.

My mind is mush today, so this isn’t much…ramble, ramble, ramble. Love to all and may we all find our way on whatever crooked path we take. And take care of yourselves and each other along the way. That may be the most important morality, magickly or mundane :heart_on_fire:

:goat:

14 Likes

Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Morality in Magick - Entry

I worked a lot with Ethics in Human Services but not with Magick or Witchcraft. This topic is going to be very useful and informative. Below shows The Ethics of Witchcraft by Heather, the Green Witch (1/15/2011)

Below is a copy of The Ethics of Witchcraft (Heather, the Green Witch, January 15, 20211). I think #12 could be a new problem here at Spells 8, but not everyone has to be ethical to all rules. Anyway, there are great points well worth following, in my opinion:

The Ethics of Witchcraft

1.) We practice the rites to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life forces marked by the phases of the Moon and the seasonal Quarters and Cross Quarters.

2.) We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility toward our environment. We seek to live in harmony with Nature, in ecological balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness within an evolutionary concept.

3.) We acknowledge a depth of power far greater than that apparent to the average person. Because it is far greater than ordinary it is sometimes called “supernatural” but we see it as lying within that which is naturally potential to all.

4.) We conceive of the Creative Power in the universe as manifesting through polarity – as masculine and feminine and that this same Creative Power lies in all people, and functions through the interaction of the masculine and feminine. Valuing neither above the other, knowing each to be supportive of the other. We value sex as pleasure, as the symbol and embodiment of life, and as one of the sources of energies used in magickal practice and religious worship.

5.) We recognize both outer worlds and inner, or psychological worlds sometimes known as the Spiritual World, the Collective Unconscious, Inner Planes, etc. – and see in the interaction of these two dimensions the basis for paranormal phenomena and magickal exercises. We neglect neither dimension for the other, seeing both as necessary for our fulfillment.

6.) We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and acknowledge those who have courageously given of themselves in leadership.

7.) We see religion, magick, and wisdom in living as being united in the way one views the world and lives within it = a world view and philosophy of life which we identify as Witchcraft – the Wiccan Way

8.) Calling oneself “Witch does not make a Witch – but neither does heredity itself, nor the collecting of titles, degrees and initiations. A witch seeks to control the forces within him/herself that make life possible in order to live wisely and well without harm to others and in harmony with nature

9.) We believe in the affirmation and fulfillment of life in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness giving meaning to the Universe we know and our personal role within it.

10.) Our only animosity towards Christianity, or towards any other religion or philosophy of life, is to the extent that its institutions have claimed to be ‘the only way’ and have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practice and belief.

11.) As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of the craft, the origins of various terms, the legitimacy of carious aspects of different traditions. We are concerned with our present and our future.

12.) We do not accept the concept of absolute evil, nor do we worship any entity known as “Satan” or “the Devil” as defined by the Christian tradition. We do not seek power through the suffering of others, nor accept that personal benefit can be derived only by the denial of others.

13.) We believe that we should seek within Nature that which is contributory to our health and wellbeing.

Number 11 I think really explained some questions I had. For example, the first sentence. I became a little nervous when I read some history of Witches, but not anymore after reading the Ethics of Witchcraft.

1.) As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of the craft, the origins of various terms, the legitimacy of carious aspects of different traditions. We are concerned with our present and our future.

(MSN, honeymallow,2023)

This is something to always remember:

The Three-fold Law, Karma, and the Bible (MSN, honeymallow,2023)

“The threefold law is similar to the Hindu idea of Karma which focuses on cause and effect. What we do, our action (cause), will return to us in the manner in which it was sent out (effect)”

Source

January 15, 20211 Ethics and Philosophy, Every Day Witchcraft, Heather, the Green Witch

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/the-ethical-witch-principles-and-practices-for-responsible-magick/ar-AA1kqmzC
honeymallow,2023

14 Likes

Re-read my post, want to clarify on nature of my jinx/hex. Here is an example of a light jinx/hexes I performed. For those who do not want to read on, I hidden it.

Summary

I live in NYC, there are a number of buildings. There is this one apartment from a building away, they blare their music and rage on through the night. Keeps me up from sleeping and I’m sure others to, there are children too in the area. It’s very wrong to do. Sure there’s other crap that goes on in the City, but this hit my line of fire. So last year, one night raging on, I started to find information on that apartment, who lives there, to create a connection. Then I enter into my mental state, did some other works, and put out my intention along these lines, “to those there and consent to this raging party, when that important morning comes that the lot of them need to rest for, that’s the night they cannot sleep and are kept up.” This year, have not heard them. Now a new group of people across started, so I set out for the lot of them to have a sleepless night for that given night I had to suffer through their bad music blaring. After 2nd time haven’t heard from them. All a coincidence, probably.

Another situation, there is this person, what an obscene vulgar mouth. The stuff that comes out of her mouth very hateful, vile, cruel, and sparing the details here. Took me days to shake off what I heard, outrageous. So I set out the intention to make that person invisible and to not be heard.

Also, I’m looking to do something against thieves as a preventative measure.

12 Likes

13 Likes

That may be my down fall to “Moral Ethics” it’s hard for me not to bring good energy but if you bring me bad energy (I’m not taking it - & you get it right back) because if you have to block my energy by trying to dim it. You will get nothing from me.

:cupid:

12 Likes

Challenge entry
For the most part I follow the Lumerian Philosophy. But basically I treat others as I wish to be treated, harm no living thing, and show love and kindness in all my interactions. I never do any kind of spells or magick on or for others unless I am asked to.
Blessed Be

14 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

Well done to all those who explored the many shades of magickal morality this week- the entries have been so thought-provoking and inspiring! It’s a challenging topic, but one that holds a lot of value and is empowering to explore. Great job to all those who joined in and thank you so much to everyone who shared an entry! :pray: :silver_heart:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details for everyone who submitted an entry. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : To avoid confusion, this discussion will be locked until the Props and Presents post appears. At that time, this thread will reopen for discussion for a few more days- comments are welcome during this time, but please note that no additional prizes will be given.

Thanks again for joining in the challenge! :partying_face:

Blessed be! :grey_shades_heart: :sparkles:

11 Likes

The challenge deadline has passed- thank you to everyone who joined in!

This topic is reopening for continued discussion and comments (feel free to respond to entries that were shared, chat about the challenge theme, etc!)

The “Props and Presents” award post for this challenge is now live in the forum and badges have been sent to all entrants! :trophy:

Award Post for the Magickal Morals Challenge

Thank you once again to all those who joined the challenge! :star2: I hope you enjoy your new badge :medal_military:

This thread has been reopened for discussion- feel free to comment on the theme, ask questions or reply to entries! However, please remember that no additional badges will be given out now that the challenge has officially closed. Thank you!

12 Likes

I know, right?! The world could be a wonderful place if everyone treated everyone else with kindness and respect :heart:

15 Likes

So does myself everyone else in this chatroom!

12 Likes