šŸ’š Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Natural Health & Healing

Weekly Witchy Challenge Entry - Natural Health and Healing

Background: I started my professional allopathic career over 20 years ago. That education included information on Complementary Alternative Medicine (CAM) techniques such as meditation, herbs (especially drug-drug and drug-disease interactions), accupuncture, etc. Although I knew that these techniques could work (if not by power-of-suggestion or placebo effect then by reducing blood pressure, etc), I never tried any of it.
I respected it at a distance, preferring more standard options.
We were, however, always taught to recommend non-pharmacologic options before starting medications and I fully supported and encouraged that.

I recently started menopause and, as is typical, have been dealing with excessive anxiety and stress which has greatly impacted my life for the negative.

SOOOO, I decided to follow my training and try the non-pharmacologic approaches.
I have an intense interest in physics and believe it fits in perfectly with magick, chaos theory and alchemy. I also believe that I am not the only one who sees this connection which is why there are so many witchcraft and alchemical texts published under pseudonyms.

I dove into Reiki (pronounced Rey-ki, not ray-ki, I have since discovered!) which follows in-line with ā€˜universal free energyā€™ concepts supported by Tesla, physics and all the ancients. It teaches that Usui discovered a ubiquitous Universal Love energy that provides the adherent with the healing energy that they need when they need it, so to speak. It includes personal statements geared towards ā€œJust for todayā€ psychological healing techniques.
I became certified in traditional Usui and am learning Quantum Reiki (figures, right? :rofl:).

How did it go, you ask?

I do it every single day now.
I didnā€™t notice any difference at first.
Nowā€¦yes. I drop into an Alpha meditative state almost immediately and feel the stress reduction just as quickly. I hope to continue with Karuna Ki and the 5-20 Usui Master programs later on.

I am certain that much of the health benefits are psychosomatic.
I am equally certain that I donā€™t give a sh$t :wink: because, like the cumulative power of positive prayer and offerings, IT WORKS!

Caveat: I am not recommending that anyone use natural healing techniques instead of traditional allopathic medicine, and every respectable natural practitioner would say the same. Never forget that it was allopathic medicine that cured and/or suppressed diseases that natural medicine couldnā€™t heal for millenia.
But I am saying that when allopathic and natural are used together - allopathic for the professional treatment of the body and natural methods for the individual treatment of the mind/soul - the combination can be powerful!
Thatā€™s because, I believe, natural healing methods allow the patient to have control over themselves to a degree lost in allopathic medicine. That ā€˜lostā€™ feeling means that there is an imbalance in treatment, as I was taught decades ago, that some natural empowering methods may restore leading to a more fulfilling, or complete, treatment.

Thank you for giving me this chance to share my experience with you all.
In love and strength

14 Likes

It is awesome, I swear by mines as well, LOL. I hope you can find one you like.

10 Likes

It does help with circulation and the feeling and bruises afterward are worth it. I tried to get back in with my theraputic massager for some massaging and cupping but she is booked until August no now I have to go where they do it at my nail salon.

12 Likes

challenge entry pt 1
So im not sure how next few days will go n how conscious will be. Or if can buy food as only paid half a pay n still trying ti sort it out but is decided one thing can do is research some things i can do wgen thumgs get betrer n to save phone credit i downloaded on WiFi. I found these books on health and wellbeing that want to explore. How much fet through is one thing but maybe can get some ideas of useful things i can do

Hopefully ive downloaded screenshots ok. I couldnt edit cause space on phine low lol. Maybe tonight on way home from work i can srt on one. If im ok enough to but thats the plan.

15 Likes

Another exciting Weekly Witchy Challenge - Natural Health & Healing Entry

After hearing and knowing several people who have received that awful ā€œyou have Cancer phone callā€ from the doctor telling you to come in, we have to talk and then the treatments begin but halfway through them you are so sick, you quit. You start your own natural healing process. Six (6) months later, your doctor calls you and wants you to come in and talk, so you do. He wants to run some tests just to see how ā€œthingsā€ are going. Three (3) days later, you receive a phone call telling you that youā€¦ are a Cancer survivor.

The mind, the Universe, the Gods/Goddess, Witches, Ancestorial beings, herbs, crystals, spells, the moon, Astrology and so on will help teach you how to use these ā€œtoolsā€ to help with this journey of the healing process.

I am looking forward to doing this Challenge and learning more on the healing process naturally.

Blessed Be,
Medea

17 Likes

@Wysteria_Norn So many years of wisdom and knowledge- it is clear that natural health and well-being are very close to your heart, Wysteria! :heart: I love when different areas of science and/or magick fit together like puzzle pieces- there is so much to be said about interdisciplinary studies. Iā€™ve heard about and tried (once) Reiki, but I donā€™t know much about traditional Usui- it sounds like it has been very helpful and made a big, positive difference in your life! Iā€™m happy that youā€™ve found things that work well for you- thank you so much for sharing! :sparkles::pray:

@Heav3n Iā€™m sorry to hear that they are booked- wow, it must be very popular in your area! Thatā€™s nice that thereā€™s back-up place you can go to (and get your nails done at the same time, if you wish! :nail_care: :blush:). Good luck and I hope you can get your next appointment soon- enjoy!

@Phoenix_Fire The books look very interesting, but please take care of yourself and your immediate needs first, Phoenix! :pray: I hope you can get the other half of your pay asap, and also that youā€™re able to get some good rest while you recover from everything. Sending bigs hugs, love, and light to you :people_hugging: :heart:

@Medea Iā€™ve never gotten the call myself (and pray that I never will- knock on wood!), but my heart goes out to those dealing with very severe forms of illness such as cancer. I feel the same- I wish that anyone going through treatment comes across whatever tools they need and has the blessing of the divine to overcome the disease :pray: Looking forward to hearing about your natural healing magick this week, Medea- good luck and enjoy your studies! :heart:

14 Likes

*"I am not recommending that anyone use natural healing techniques instead of traditional allopathic medicine, and every respectable natural practitioner would say the same. Never forget that it was allopathic medicine that cured and/or suppressed diseases that natural medicine couldnā€™t heal for millenia. (Profile - Wysteria_Norn - The Spells8 Forum)

I would like to thank you for adding this to you post entry. I did not and I should have. I am going down the positive natural healing route for this Challenge. I stated I knew several people that kept them in good healing spirits that worked for them. Unfortunately, this does not always happen with everyone, and I should have stated that. My sincere apologies.

Blessed Be,
Medea

14 Likes

I was disappointed when I tried it first and felt rather silly actually! But I repeated it thinking that, at worst, itā€™ll help me with meditating.
Iā€™m going to assume that itā€™s either hit or miss, depending on when it enters your life, if that makes any sense.

12 Likes

Oh, I couldnā€™t agree with you more, and no need to apologize!
Whatā€™s important and truly the driving force of it all is that people are healed! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Have an awesome day!

12 Likes

@Jeannie1 a balm for anxiety &/or depression sounds like a great idea! I also love my crystals & I thoroughly enjoyed the classes on crystal healing modalities. Some of my favorites when Iā€™m having issues of my own :hugs:

@Wysteria_Norn we touched on Reiki a bit in my healing courses & it was very interesting to me! I havenā€™t tried it, but I do have some beginner meditations on it that I may have to try out soon!

@Medea, I personally havenā€™t had that call, but I do have close family members that have received those calls. Itā€™s definitely a hard place to be & figuring out what to do next for themselves & a family as a whole to try & help with at the very least some sort of comfort while they are going through it & supporting their decisions.

@Heav3n my brother loves it & he has it done for muscle tension & improving circulation. He gets it done regularly. He sent me a picture of it being done on his leg & it was definitely different! But he says the results are totally worth it too!

Challenge Entry

Iā€™ve had a long road of mental & physical challenges since around 2014. When I was younger, alternative therapies werenā€™t something that I grew up knowing much about. Then I guess I just went through a phase where I didnā€™t necessarily want to feel anything. However, as I grew up & saw a family member make it kind of a thing with commercial medicines to the point I wouldnā€™t even discuss mine with them because they would wind up with the same conditions & medications (later they were diagnosed with Psychosomatic & Somatic Symptom Disorder)ā€¦ As my situation progressed & there were surgeriesā€¦ I didnā€™t want to be reliant on medications especially when there were things likeā€¦ ā€˜Thereā€™s a side effect from this medicine so take this medicine to help with thatā€™ā€¦ Nope, not for me. I had to change primary care doctors & started going to a pain clinicā€¦ which happened to be run by her husband. She started suggesting alternative therapies as well as my physical therapist too.

Then I joined Spells8 in 2020 & learned so much more that could help me as well & that my therapist & psychiatrist were all for me working on & trying.

After a time I actually said to 3 of my providers that I want to start coming off of medications that happened in mid-2021. I tried different things that my doctors would recommend. My primary does have a Ph.D. but also a D.O. which was helpful & her husband advocates for natural alternatives too before injections or surgeries or even narcotic medications: I needed to find other ways to manage because it was just too much & I didnā€™t feel like myself. I desperately wanted to feel like myself & not so numb between the physical & mental health prescriptions.

So in reality I started using some of them probably in 2017 or 2018 & they really made a difference:

• Rice Pillows (I must have at least 6 in different sizes & shapes) they are amazing for different areas where I get sore or pained from physical conditions.
  • TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) Unit - really not natural but itā€™s more like the ultimate gift to my back pain.
  • Kinesiology Tape
  • Compression clothing
  • Swimming daily (at least in the summer) :swimming_woman:

Once I started with those, I thought there has to be something better than these medications for mental health & started actually working through situations & trying other remedies. I actually started participating in my therapy & with my psychiatrist. My psychiatrist actually will help me release pent-up energy if that is something that I have going on & canā€™t release it on my own. I let them know my ultimate goal was to either.

• A: Be completely off of medications :no_entry_sign:
  • B: Only be on the absolute lowest doses possible :arrow_down:

So I started really actively working on coping strategies for both physical & mental health conditions. Which some of it started here with Shadow Work & figuring out what worked for me & honestly trying different things.

• Meditation :woman_in_lotus_position:
  • Calming music :musical_note:
  • Journaling :pen:
  • Herbal teas :tea:
  • Aromatherapy whether incense, essential oils, candles :candle:, wearable oils
  • Herbal Poultices :herb:
  • Heat :fire: & Ice :ice_cube:
  • Massage
  • Breathwork :wind_face:
  • Gratitude :pray:
  • Mindfulness & being in the moment & present
  • Short walks :walking_woman:
  • Energy work :dizzy:
  • Grounding :earth_element:
  • Resting :zzz: when I need to
  • Eating better & cutting out soda & caffeine for the most part. I have 1 cup of coffee :coffee: a day, well, really probably closer to half a cup. :laughing:

I know Iā€™m missing some things, but so much with how I work through things whether for my physical or mental health conditions has changed. Iā€™m not on the same dosages of medications :pill: or I have eliminated quite a few (both as needed & daily). Even within the last couple of months, so much has changed with my medications. I am so very proud of myself :star_struck: for all of the work that I have put in to get here because I feel more like meā€¦ My family has said that I seem happier & so much better. I try to use an alternative whenever I can now rather than something prescribed to me & itā€™s working out really well for me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

This is such an empowering post!!! :heart_eyes:
Yes, yes, yes!
Allopathic medicine when and where itā€™s needed.
But always, and as much as possible, encourage the patient to engage in self-help and empowering programs as much as possible.
This is truly life-affirming and I congratulate you from the bottom of my heart!

11 Likes

@Wysteria_Norn oh thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: As I was typing it it really sank in how much has changed with medications & myself. Then I really thought about the last couple of monthsā€¦ while it was quite the ride & rollercoaster :roller_coaster: At the end, I thoughtā€¦ ā€˜Huhā€¦ so thatā€™s quite a few changes with how I work through things & get through challenges in both physical & mental health since the end of February.ā€™ Admittedly at least one of those things was inadvertent from another thing going on but in the end, I am better off now. Itā€™s really worked for me :hugs:

Oh! The Finch Self Care App has been a great help too! :star_struck: I know that @MeganB uses it too & I really like that depending on what I do have going on, I can remove, change, or add different things to my routine or tasks for each day & set timers for things. Speaking ofā€¦ I believe there are others that use it & I donā€™t mind having other birb friends :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

Challenge Entry

I first took interest in learning about fungiā€™s healing properties after playing The Last of Us Part 1 for the first time in April. Itā€™s the only time a game has made me teary-eyed several times and Iā€™m reliving all that with the show. :sob:

In that world of The Last of Us, society has collapsed when a mutation version of the cordyceps has infected much of humanity. The cordyceps is a reminder that while nature is beautiful, itā€™s also frightening. Very frightening. :sweat: The cordyceps drains an insect of its nutrients, filling it with spores. It then forces it to move to higher areas where it dispels these spores, infecting other insects in the process. At this point, the insect is all but dead, hence the cordyceps nicknameā€¦the zombie fungus. Luckily, the cordyceps canā€™t affect humans or animals this way. Our body temperature is too hot for the fungus to survive and our immune systems would destroy it, if it somehow managed to beat the heat.

But what if it mutates? Well, the cordyceps and insects have been evolving side by side for millions of years. Not to mention, it would take millions of years of evolution for it to invade more complex species. There have been more cases of fungal infections in humans because of climate change though, but cordyceps is not one of them, thank the Goddess and God.

What are the health benefits of cordyceps? People who take cordyceps supplements can gain a boost in exercise performance. It can reduce fatigue, boost strength and sex drive in the elderly. Current research suggests that it can be used to treat cancer by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells. Cordyceps actually produces a sugar that helps regulate blood sugar levels, so it could be used to treat Type 2 Diabetes. It also can help fight inflammation and has a positive effect on heart health by controlling cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, cordyceps supplements are pretty expensive. Some bottles are as high as $50. :sweat:

Even if you canā€™t afford to buy some, mushrooms, like shittake, reishi, porcini, oyster, matsutake, morels, chanterelle, and truffle have the same helath benefits as the cordyceps, in addition to lowering blood pressure, boosting the immune system, enhancing iron absorption and memory, and aids in nutrient absorption.

If you decide to go mushroom picking, itā€™s very important to do your research first. Do not pick and eat any mushrooms unless youā€™re 100% sure theyā€™re safe to eat!

14 Likes

@Kasandra very interesting! I had no idea about cordyceps! Iā€™m going to have to see which mushrooms frequent our yardā€¦ we have a few different types that appear depending on conditions here. I wouldnā€™t go eating or ingesting them though without looking into them & being sure I know what they are first. However the benefits of the cordyceps are very beneficial, so I may have to look more into those at least! Thank you for sharing your research on them! :hugs:

12 Likes

Challenge Entry - Natural Health & Healing

I did it!!! I made my very first ever salve :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Iā€™ve been meaning to create my own salves and ointments but kept putting it off. Iā€™m a big fan of using CBD for pain and so I decided to find a recipe for a CBD oil salve.

I chose to make a CBD/THC blend using mostly decarboxylated material but did include some non-decarboxylated to get the benefits in the raw material also.

(infusing the coconut oil)

(Strained infused oil)

Today I made the CBD oil using coconut oil and then used the oil to create the salve with shea butter, olive oil, beeswax, and a couple of drops of peppermint essential oil.

(Freshly poured)

(cooled and ready to use)

It has the best scent from the shea butter, coconut oil, and spearmint! I have to say I expected something to go wrong and the project to be a failure, but Iā€™m very pleased with my first attempt.

Really looking forward to using my first handmade pain relief remedy. :herb: :coconut: :honeybee:

Iā€™m already thinking about how to tweak my next batch to make the consistency a bit thicker. I might even add some arnica for added pain relief. I think I may be hooked on making my own salves and balms!

15 Likes

@Artemisia congratulations :confetti_ball: :clap:

Iā€™m still working up the courage to attempt a salve. :laughing: I donā€™t know why Iā€™m so apprehensive about it. Iā€™ve made oils & infused oilsā€¦ I have beeswax butā€¦ no little tins :thinking: Everything else though I do have.

They look great! I hope they work well for you! :hugs:

11 Likes

I completely get it. I have had those tins for almost a year and just couldnā€™t get over the apprehension of making a salve. I am so glad I got out of my own way today and did it. Even if the salve hadnā€™t worked, I count it as a win that I tried.

10 Likes

Absolutely a Win that you tried! :tada: Iā€™ll have to find some little tins & try to do the same. Iā€™ll get there :blush:

10 Likes

I enjoyed your challenge entry. I just had to reply since you mentioned cordyceps, The Last of Us (didnā€™t play the game but watched the series) and zombie ants!. I remember learning about it in biology, or parasitology in college. Have to say it gave me the willies then. Now being more herbally inclined, I find I am hearing about or seeing cordyceps more and more. It is pricey but I may have to try it in my herbal practice.

Can I just say I am absolutely loving this weeks challenge, so much fun and learning to be had reading all the entries! :herb: :rock: :person_in_lotus_position:

12 Likes

I LOVE lemon balmā€¦ yes I yelled that! :laughing: I started growing it two years ago and saved the first years crop without knowing what I could do with it, until one of the challenges we did a year-ish ago alerted me to the many wonderful uses of Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis L.). I have to say it is one of my herbal allies now and I absolutely love it for anxiety and stress relief. Plus it smells so amazing! :lemon: :herb:

(My lemon balm a few weeks ago)

15 Likes