šŸÆ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Lunisolar Calendar and Chinese Zodiac

It turns out my primal sign is a Rattlesnake, I admit at first I was a bit skeptical but when I read the description I recognized myself and it was interesting because it made me reflect on the traits I would like to work on.
For example,

Rattlesnakes have high expectations of others, though they never expect more from others than they expect from themselves.

which is true and it led me to sometime lack compassion for others and myself. In the future I would like to be more forgiving and understanding. After all mistakes are necessary to grow.
As for my 2022 horoscope, I donā€™t think itā€™s any coincidence that at a time when I must make a choice regarding my future career I got :

itā€™s possible your talents will lead you to relocating in search of your dream job.

I have been feeling lost recently, the path I had chosen for myself and which seemed clear now feels wrong and I think that this year will be all about introspection and life choices.

Happy Chinese New Year Everyone ! Blessed be :fireworks:

11 Likes

Youā€™re welcome. :blush:

8 Likes

okā€¦so Iā€™m a pig
Strengths: warm-hearted, sincere, honest, optimistic, generous
Weaknesses: sleepy, gullible, short-tempered, jealous
When Pig people lose their temper sometimes, delicious food is the only cure. Sigh, too true
Garnetā€¦ā€¦oink, oinkā€”whereā€™s the Chocolate!
A pig married to a dragon, go figure. Well, I could get into the dress.

Mushu-crikee3

12 Likes

I had a very lovely and relaxing ritual with Brigid on Friday night. I should try working with her more often!

I diffused some chamomile essential oil, made myself a cup of chamomile tea and did the chamomile cleansing ceremony.

I lot a red candle, played some Celtic music from YouTube, and recited the Brigid Invocation Prayer. When I was finished, I drew a snake (my Chinese Zodiac Sign) on a piece of paper, and made a Brigidā€™s Cross out of plantain and set it out as an offering. Plantain isnā€™t a usual offering to Brigid, but since itā€™s been a go-to herb for many ailments, I thought it would be perfect.

I sat for a moment, meditating on the qualities of the snake. Snakes are calm, thoughtful, persistent, and rational beings. Lately, Iā€™ve been a bit impatient in my studies, wishing I could learn the new material quickly, but rationally, I know that itā€™s going to take longer than three weeks to become proficient. No matter how simple a programming language is, it can take months (or even years) for that.

With this in my mind, I prayed:
Blessed Brig,
Lady of the Sacred Flame,
As the days grow longer and the earth begins to awakens from its slumber,
I plant the seeds of patience and perseverance of the snake.
With your nurturing hand, I ask you to guide me as cultivate them throughout the warmer months.
So mote it be.

I finished with a tarot reading, asking if she has a message for me. The cards I drew suggested that I need to stop overthinking things and that with my continued perseverance, Iā€™ll be able to reap the rewards.

I almost forgot to mention that I took the plantain Brigidā€™s Cross and taped it to the paper with the snake drawing to use it as a bookmark for my textbook.

14 Likes

For this weekā€™s challenge, I chose to do a comparison of my primal zodiac sign, Anglerfish, and my Chinese zodiac animal and element, Wood Snakeā€¦mainly because Iā€™m a nerd but I also wanted to see if I could:

1. Draw comparisons (this was definitely the case), and,
  2. To try to determine how close to reality the characteristics of both were aligned with my own personality (also accurate). I relied on my family and friends for this determination as I wanted to remain as objective about this as I could. I asked them to use 10 adjectives to describe my personality as they see itā€¦positive AND negative characteristics.

One of the characteristics that is definitely true of me is my need to be well ordered. This need can reach obsessive realms and Iā€™m constantly and incessantly organizing. In fact, I cleaned and reorganized my whole altar table yesterday to commemorate this weekā€™s interesting challenge! Also scratched my organization itch!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anglerfish:

Clever/Intelligent
Determined
Competitive
Loners
Quiet
Funny
Unforgiving
Jealous
Suspicious
Hypersensitive

Wood Snake:
Wise/Smart
Ambitious
Astute
Calm
Well ordered
Clever
Unforgiving
Fickle
Sluggish
Indulgent

The Anglerfish:

Powerful, clever, and determined , those born under the sign of the Anglerfish are mysterious individuals who use their immense intellect to outwit others in the game of life.

Like the animal, those born under the sign of the Anglerfish like to use their cunning to draw others to them, rather than chasing after anyone or anything.

Please visit the source: Primal Astrology - Spirit of the Anglerfish for the full article

The Wood Snake:

The Wood Snake is a subcategory of the sixth animal in the Chinese zodiacā€™s 12-year cycle, which corresponds to the Chinese calendar. People born in the Year of the Wood Snake are thought to have a high level of wisdom and philosophical knowledge . They are natural problem solvers that thrive at finding answers to complex issues. These are clever, astute individuals who take the time to consider their thoughts and beliefs. The Wood Snakes are smart, philosophical, calm and compassionate creatures. They are receptive and physically attractive, yet they are also fickle . A slight will never be forgiven or forgotten by their calculating natures. They might be sluggish and indulgent . Their natural elegance can be extravagant at times.

Wood Snakes have a kind demeanor and a keen awareness of human nature , both of which will benefit them throughout their lives. The Wood Snake is an excellent communicator, and as a result, they have many friends and coworkers. They are funny, clever, and ambitious individuals with a wide range of interests who want to live in a quiet, stable atmosphere where they can work uninterrupted . They appreciate art and enjoy displaying paintings and antiques in their home. Friends and coworkers always admire their advice, especially in social and personal problems.

Please visit the source: Chinese Zodiac Wood Snake for the full article

So, now I have a better idea of why I interact with others as I doā€¦or in my case, why I tend to be such a loner. I feel content to be home as its my ā€œsanctuaryā€ and is typically a very quiet space. While probably boring for others, the quiet provides great comfort to me.

Thanks again for such an interesting challenge and the opportunity to learn more about myself. Iā€™m a big believer that learning about ourselves will lend towards our ability to interact well with others, so I appreciate this challengeā€¦thank you!!

Satu, the Green Witch

Chinese version of Satu:

14 Likes

Character Traits of the Metal Ox Blending with Western Astrology

Iā€™ve always wondered why I connected so much with the Taurus energy in astrology. Though I do have my natal moon in earthy Capricorn , most of my natal chart is weighted equally in fire with Leo rising, and water with Cancer Sun sign just to mention the strongest aspects.

After reacquainting myself with the Oxā€™s traits and learning more about the metal element, itā€™s all become clear. My stubborn nature, preference to work alone, and tendency to be serious at times now makes a lot of sense.

I also noticed that many traits from both Western and Eastern zodiacs overlap, like enjoying a cosy home (Cancer/Metal Ox) and being a very loyal friend (Leo/Metal Ox). The research for this challenge has me thinking about the blended energies of the Eastern and Western Zodiacss. To ground (pun intended) this new found information and set intentions for the new year of the Water Tiger I turned to my trusted rocks.

I originally was going to use the Bagua and itā€™s corresponding colours as a template but I found it to restrictive. Instead I went with what I was lead to visually. I feel fun-loving, strong and deeply connected to Gaia when I see this picture. :astrology_earth:

Metal Ox with Assorted Rocks crystals listed clockwise from top left

ā€¢ Labradorite: companion through change, imparting strength & perseverance.
ā€¢ Fluorite: promotes unbiased impartiality and heightens intuitive powers.
ā€¢ Moonstone: used to seek embodiment of the Goddess.
ā€¢ Green Opal: gives meaning to everyday life & with a spiritual perspective.
ā€¢ Tigerā€™s Eye: high vibrational state draws the spiritual energies to Earth.
ā€¢ Moss Agate: refreshes the soul & aids in seeing the beauty of all you behold.
ā€¢ Ammonite: absorbs cosmic energy over eons and stimulates Qi.
ā€¢ Epidote: enhances perception and personal power.

Crystals properties from Judy Hallā€™s Encyclopedia of Crystals
Ox design copied from @dreamstimes.com

Cheers,
Janis :triskele:

11 Likes

Ok, I did the calculations wrong. Iā€™m not a Fire Goat. I am a Fire Horse and my primal zodiac sign is a Unicorn! I can live with that. Lol!

8 Likes

Itā€™s time for a friendly reminder!

:exclamation: This challenge will close TOMORROW :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and havenā€™t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline: Tomorrow: February 1st, 7:00 AM EST (Eastern Standard Time Zone)

Blessed be and Happy Lunar New Year! :full_moon_with_face: :red_gift_envelope: :sparkles::tiger:

5 Likes

Weekly Challenge Entry

side note: Inspired by @jessica72

I remember another challenge about Zodiacs & since I was learning astrology from the very beginning, I had no idea about a primal zodiac! So I went on a research escapade.

According to The Chinese Zodiac, I was born in the year of the Fire snake :snake:
My Primal Zodiac is the Anglerfish. Have you ever seen one of these?.. Not precisely a gorgeous species.

The Year of The Snake corresponds with the number 54
Personality: Brilliant & passionate, very charismatic & endowed with a captivating sensuality, Can occasionally be suspicious & selfish, which can sometimes make them lose precious friendships. The tendency of the fire snake to always bring everything back to them, combined with latent authoritarianism, make them a complicated & fascinating friend or partner, even if a bit stifling. Their charm & intelligence are indispensable assets to satisfy his quest for power & financial success.

Planet: Saturn :astrology_saturn:, Pillar of Destiny The earth buried in the sand, Polarity Yin, Crystal Labradorite

The Anglerfish as a Primal Zodiac Powerful, clever, and determined, those born under the sign of the Anglerfish are mysterious individuals who use their immense intellect to outwit others in the game of life. And to them, life is a game, a challenge to be won. Just like a professional poker player, they keep a straight face & keep others guessing about their next move. It can be very hard to know what an Anglerfish is thinking or feeling since they rarely ever talk about their inner fears or hesitations.

Chinese lunisolar calendar[edit]

The Chinese calendar or Chinese lunisolar calendar is also called Agricultural Calendar [č¾²ę›†; 农历; NĆ³nglƬ; ā€˜farming calendarā€™], or Yin Calendar [陰ꛆ; 阓历; YÄ«nlƬ; ā€˜yin calendarā€™]), based on the concept of Yin Yang and astronomical phenomena, as movements of the sun, moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn (known as the seven luminaries) are the references for the Chinese lunisolar calendar calculations.

Sources:

Karma Weather Chinese Zodiac - The Snake

Primal Astrology - Anglerfish

Chinese Lunisolar Calendar

12 Likes

@Susurrus, I had a feeling we may be kindred spirits. Iā€™m a water snake/Anglerfish combo myself :blush:

8 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! We will probably be a good balance with each other! Iā€™m happy we are able to relate to each other! :two_hearts:

8 Likes

Itā€™s my first Weekly Challenge, of course, sliding this in last minute!
I had a fantastic day organizing my altar, doing some sage cleansing, crystal charging, and some much-needed spell work. My heart, mind, and soul are light today as I move forward in our New Moon phase. Blessed be!
What struck me as funny with this weekā€™s Challenge is not so much finding out that Iā€™m a metal Pig, great. Oink Oink. But my Primal sign says ā€œDodo.ā€ Like the bird? The frickin Dodo bird. A bird too heavy to fly. Hahahaha. Which took me back to my previous DoDo bird experience when I traveled with my son to Newfoundland a few years back. We were goofing around down at the waterā€™s edge off Fogo Island, looking at a massive iceberg in the harbor, and my son tripped and fell. We were both laughing, and I took his picture while making a face and titled it the DoDo bird. Well, what comes around goes around and jokes about me since Iā€™m the real DoDo bird.
The Metal Pig delivered me some good advice, so I will have to lay off the Amazon shopping for a bit.
My Dodo destiny rings valid with having a thirst for learning new things, which could not be more true since becoming a part of this coven!
So grateful for you all! Blessed be! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Iā€™ve added my sonā€™s Dodo bird pic for reference. :laughing:

10 Likes

Yay! Happy New Lunar Year 2022 to all! As an Earth Dragon myself, this year is very auspicious for the Dragons since Tiger is a supportive energy! As I read my predictions, I find myself in a position of flowing and initiating new things. When combining both my Scorpio and Dragon (western and eastern) signs, my primordial is the Jaguar. How funny that is! It is an animal that is found in South America, particularly in Colombia; where I am from. According to the website provided, Jaguars are eccentric, prideful and strong in character; which is very similar to the Dragon traits. As funny as it gets; both water and earth are my elements and it good to know that my personality matches with the beautiful spirit animals that accompany my signs. Thanks for this amazing challenge. I learn a lot. Happy New Year! Many blessings to all!

7 Likes

Iā€™m a fire rabbit, I like that! :grin: :fire: :rabbit2:

Art by Artventrix on Tumblr

Going by my intuition, I can be very excitable at times, deeply affectionate, downright flirty and sometimes kinda shy and nervous. Always cautious to approach new things, but also excited. Some people say Iā€™m cute too. I donā€™t really have experience with Chinese astrology to go any deeper into it, but it seems to fit my Western Big Three of Cancer Sun, Gemini Moon and Sagittarius Rising pretty well.

Rabbit Horoscope 2022

Financial luck for the talented Rabbit is strong in the Year of the Water Tiger. Itā€™s a great time for your sign to expand your business, work on your career, increase your presence on social media, or launch new products. Practicing relaxation techniques can help your sensitive sign cope with work stress.

Iā€™ve been seeing this around quite a bit, Iā€™m going to make it rain this year! :grin: :umbrella: :moneybag:
Itā€™s about time too, itā€™s been one area in my life deep in shadow. Relaxation techniques definitely help. Iā€™ve been using Insight Timer for a few weeks now and itā€™s already made a huge difference.

Romance could bloom into a lovely flower for this affectionate sign at work. Joining hearts with a refined colleague is a distinct possibility for you! The Year of the Tiger is an especially good time for your sentimental sign to get married. Unfortunately, Rabbits who already have partners could be tempted to stray.

Source: Chinese New Year 2022

Well, like I said, I like to flirt :joy: :heart:
Doing it at work, especially if itā€™s my own business, from a position of power, wellā€¦ need to be very careful about that. Literally playing with fire! :sweat_smile: :fire: But as long as everyoneā€™s on the same page and safety and boundaries are well taken care of, fire play can be very enjoyable, or so Iā€™ve heard. :smirk: :fire:

8 Likes

Happy Lunar New Year everyone!

I was born in 1982 and my Chinese Zodiac sign is the Dog.

Iā€™ve known about Zodiac signs since I was quite little as the Zoo local to where I grew up, Thrigby hall Wildlife Gardens, had a Chinese Water Garden and there were descriptions of all the Zodiac Signs dotted along the bridges.

Thrigby 2
Image taken from : http://www.thrigby.plus.com/thrigbyold/GARDEN2.JPG

Iā€™ve used the following site to find out more info about those born in The Year of the Dog:

I am apparently a Water Dog, which I did not know. This means that Iā€™m brave and self-centred, even seemingly selfish and well-versed in dealing with financial issues, which I think is fair.

The following traits are associated with those born in the Year of the Dog:

Image from: China Highlights

Just for fun I also ran a compatibility test with my husband who is year of the Monkey (1968) and these were the results:

Zodiac compatibility

You treat each other in an appreciative way and know each otherā€™s needs. Both of you will become more mature through marriage. The male monkey is clever and versatile, and stresses the importance of efficiency. The female dog is honest, tender, and positive, and has a spirit of sacrifice. The male monkey likes the cordial and secure feeling of fighting alongside his wife. The male monkey is diligent and friendly when relating to the female dog. The female dog admires the brilliance and intelligence of the male monkey, loves to cooperate with him, and feels proud of the achievements he makes. However, the male monkey neglects instant sympathy for the female dog, which makes her sad, while the prudence of the female dog upsets the male monkey.

Again, seems about right!

10 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

It has been a blast reading everyoneā€™s entries (also sharing and comparing Zodiac and Primal Zodiac signs/elements has been so much fun!)- thank you to everyone for joining in! :blush:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : This post will remain open for continued discussion for a few more days, but no additional prizes will be given after today.

Blessed be, and Happy Lunar New Year! :tiger: :fireworks:

4 Likes

@Jeje Always smart to have scraps of paper on hand- especially if youā€™re blessed with a creative mind like yours! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I canā€™t claim ownership to too many groundbreaking ideas, but some of my favorite things Iā€™ve come up with were scribbled down while in the middle of doing something else. The mind seems to work best when we least expect it! :laughing: :+1:

@Rachel21 Cheers to a fellow rooster! :partying_face: :rooster:

@Garnet Garnet I laughed when I saw that picture of Miss Piggy- you are so funny :joy::heart: Thank you for sharing about the different realms of astrology! I always broke it into just two (Eastern and Western) with ā€œWesternā€ being the 12 star signs and ā€œEasternā€ being the 12 animal and elemental signs. But you make a good point about Vedic astrology being separate from the Chinese Zodiac. And, if I remember correctly, Japanese astrology is similar to Chinese astrology yet unique in itā€™s own way. Perhaps more and more categories of astrology will need to be distinguished! :blush: I know astrology is a lot (it makes my head spin too sometimes! :crazy_face:) so thanks so much for jumping in and sharing your thoughts! Great job! :star2:

@Flowing A skunk! What a fun primal sign, Flowing! :skunk: :sparkles: My mother actually loves skunks- have you ever seen a baby one before? No one can argue that they know how to defend themselves, but gosh- they can be super cute too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Christina4 Nicely explored, Christina- I hope the ritual went well for you! :ox: :heart:

@Amethyst Cheers to a fellow double-water sign (Iā€™m a water rooster and scorpio) :grin: :+1: :droplet: Hmmm sounds like youā€™ve got the green light to be a bit wild this year, Amethyst- may your impulses lead you to great success and lots of good times! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Torista The old Chinese lunar calendar is fascinating, Torista- thank you so much for exploring it and for sharing what you found :blush: your lucky envelope turned out beautiful- may it help to bring you good luck (and fortune!) in the new year :red_gift_envelope: :two_hearts:

@nesserinne Ohhhh youā€™ve got a cool and fierce primal sign, Nesserinne! :snake: It sounds like you found some valuable insights in your horoscope for the year- I hope you can find both your dream job and the path you wish to embark on. Rattlesnakes seem to appear along roads and paths (at least in my very limited experience with rattlesnakes), so may this be a good sign for you! Safe travels forwards :sunrise_over_mountains: :pray:

@Kasandra Iā€™m so glad to hear youā€™ve been enjoying your work with Brigid, Kasandra! And it sounds like a very beautiful meditation as well- I love how you tied together your Zodiac sign and your Brigidā€™s Cross. Thatā€™s a gorgeous prayer as well- thank you for sharing! :heart: Wishing you both a blessed Chinese New Year and Imbolc, you brought these two events together in such a wonderful way! :clap:

@Satu_TheGreenWitch I love your deep dive into your primal sign and zodiac animal, Satu- this was a delight to read! :star_struck: It looks like exploring both of your signs helped you to learn more about yourself :blush:. Sometimes through our signs we can see both strengths and weakness- it can be a helpful and meditative way to take a step back and view ourselves in a new light. Congrats to you- well done! :sparkles:

@Janis It is amazing to see how the traits of your western zodiac align and overlap with your Chinese zodiac, Janis- through taking a step back to observe it all, it sounds like you revealed some key elements and very positive things about yourself that appear across astrological systems! :raised_hands: And I love the arrangement of crystals for your Metal Ox display- beautifully done! :gem::ox:

@Ostara A Fire Horse and a Unicorn- wow, Linda! That is quite a powerful combo! :fire::horse: :unicorn: Thanks for sharing- may this year be a lucky one for you :blush:

@Susurrus Beautiful research- thanks for sharing your findings, Siofra! I like how you drew on the planets as well and incorporated another aspect of astrology :astrology_saturn: :ringer_planet: Thanks for sharing! :blush:

@Mistella Congrats on your first weekly challenge, Mistella- thanks for joining in! :grinning: Oh my gosh what a primal zodiac to have, how cool to have a Dodo bird! And hahaha what a great story- it sounds like the DoDo bird brought back some very fun memories for you :joy::+1: Thank you for sharing both your experiences, the fun story, and the pictures too! May the new year be a very blessed one full of more laughter and smiles! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@fabian Happy Lunar New Year to you too, Fabian! It sounds like it should be a very lucky year for you- may it bring you many wonderful things! And wow, it sounds like a Jaguar primal zodiac is right on for you, what a fun connection :black_cat: :heart:

@CelestiaMoon Thereā€™s something about a fire rabbit that just seems to suit you, Celestia Moon- itā€™s one of those things that I read and Iā€™m like, yes- that just fits so well! :fire::rabbit: It looks like there are many good things in your horoscope for the year ahead- may it be a very blessed year for you! :blush:

@IrisW The Wildlife Gardens sound beautiful, Iris- how fun to have the Zodiac animals decorating the garden! Cheers to a fellow water sign :droplet: and it looks like you found some wonderful things about your zodiac- the dog is a lovely sign to have! :dog: :two_hearts: And nice about the compatibility test results- might have to go give that one a try for me and my partner too :laughing: Great job, thanks for sharing! :pray:

17 Likes

Thank you for the nice new badge. Our lists are getting longer, arenā€™t they?

8 Likes

Yes although I was surprised at first I like my primal sign, Rattlesnakes may be scary but they are cool :snake:
I did get some helpful insight and exploring Eastern astrology was fun and interesting !
Thank you for the experience, I look forward to the next weekly challenge ! ;)))

13 Likes

Only at a zoo. I at one time wanted a skunk as a pet. However, that is not allow in Missouri.

11 Likes