🤔 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Witch Stereotypes

Thanks, love! I hope to make it more normal for people. It helps that I am a big dork who is so obviously not an evil person. LOL!

Thank you! Sometimes you just have to face the shadows.

I think the word is getting out, which is good. Either that or people are too focused on hating other groups, which is bad. LOL!

11 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge: Witch Stereotypes

This is such an interesting topic. I gave this some thought. When I was young, like, younger than ten, it seems like I, children and adults around me used the term “witch” for someone who had done something cool and mysterious, like they had a secret power.

For instance, if they predicted something and then it happened, or they unlocked a door that everyone had tried unsuccessfully to open. Then, someone would utter in wide-eyed awe, half-kiddingly, “Are you a witch?”

One time, my grandfather wrote my mom’s name and her grandmother’s name over and over. It turned out they were palindromes, and accidentally so. My mother’s name was Mary Byram and her grandmother’s name was Mary Belle Byram, and those names happen to be spelled the same, backwards. So, he said, jokingly, “Are you a witch?” :slight_smile:

So, I think I equated witchiness with some kind of special capability, rather than, say, being a devil worshipper or something negative.

When I grew up and met my first witch, I thought, she’s a lot like me. But she can’t be, because she must be magical in some way, that I’m not.

The stereotype that I had bought into was that witches had special powers, even if it was limited to a psychic power, and that they could use those powers in spells and make things happen for themselves.

It didn’t occur to me that there might be witches who stumbled, or fumbled, or cast spells that didn’t work or backfired, or who didn’t feel psychic. Insecure people sometimes don’t realize other people are imperfect. In my mind, I didn’t have any magical power, and I didn’t feel like I had much ordinary power, either.

I wasn’t about power, as a young woman. Maybe I didn’t think of myself as powerful. I just wanted to be loved. I wanted to meet expectations and be considered a nice person. People-pleasing, I guess!

When I became a mother, that was my first real experience with feeling powerful, really capable and brave. I felt like i had the courage to do whatever my son needed. And he believed it. He believed I could do anything. It was heady, that feeling of power!

Have your read or seen Discovery of Witches? If you have, you know the scene where Satu (painfully) unlocks Diana’s power, which had previously been spellbound in her. And it just opened her up.

Well, strangely, that’s how I felt after giving birth. It kind of opened me up to other possibilities, too. I felt like I came into my own. I wasn’t a frightened young girl anymore. I was ready to take on the world and experience things, like, things I wanted or needed to feel whole in life. Not necessarily the same things my sister, mom or other people wanted. And I didn’t need anyone to understand or validate that feeling for me. I just felt right.

One of those things was this spiritual, profound connection to nature I felt. And just a spiritual sense of connection. No one else I knew felt like that (or if they did, they didn’t talk about it) although I knew others did. I think it was that searching that led me into witchcraft.

Somewhere I read the opinion that someone said. She said, “a witch is someone who practices witchcraft.” That made me feel included. So, I didn’t need to have amazing skills. So what if my spells didn’t work the way I intended? So what if I didn’t make things magical? I was trying, and learning. And eventually, I began to appreciate my own special powers. I can’t draw on them at will – like, I can’t be psychic anytime I want. But I have my moments! maybe we all do. And those moments are diamonds! I notice powers in me now I may not have appreciated before. That I feel, more and more.

So I love exploring this aspect of myself. I love hearing what other people do. I decided at some point, yeah, I’m a witch. And it feels right.

15 Likes

@mary25 How beautiful. Thankyou for sharing this. I love it. We are witches because we are that inside, not cuz of any special powers. Beautiful :sparkling_heart:

14 Likes

Thank you for that. :heart_on_fire: I am often powerless in magickal ways, but sometimes feel like I can help to change small things in my life. I am learning ways of witchcraft that allows me to manipulate energies to my benefit and to be more grateful in the things I have and do. :purple_heart:

15 Likes

True!

I have had customers (who wear Christian jewelry) buy another item if their total is $6.66, or $13. I try to tell them that it only has the power to make bad things happen if you let it, to no avail, sometimes.

15 Likes

The concept of stereotypes is very interesting!! When you think about all the different stereotypes there are, in a vast number of categories, a person could spend their entire life on just this topic alone!!
For me, I think the only stereotype that makes me want to “jump on my broom” is the one where people equate being a witch and/or wiccan to being a satanist!! First of, I don’t even believe in satan!!! There is evil in this world, but it is of humanities making… there are many theological and archeological thoughts about the origin of “a satan” but I think the primary explanation is humanities “need” to blame someone or something for their personal behavior. The expression “the devil made me do it” comes to mind! So, when people “accuse me of being a satanist” it is insulting in that they are also accusing me of being a cause for the effect of the evil they have in their life… while we all share a role in the cosmic cause and effect, this stereotype makes it more personal for me. It is almost as though I was living in the burning times when witches were blamed for all the bad things that happened in the community around them. I would have hoped that we would have come further than that in our tolerance of different religions and cultures… but this one has me wonder if we truly have??? :roll_eyes: :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

18 Likes

LOL!! I guess those same people won’t eat at Carl Jr’s n ow that they have their El Diablo burger priced at $6.66!!!

16 Likes

@collette1 So true. People like to place blame anywhere but themselves. Hardest thing is to look in the mirror and “see”.
I don’t live in America, but I’m guessing Carl Jr’s is a burger bar? That’s funny :joy:

12 Likes

Yes - it is a burger place… and I spent many minutes laughing when I saw their ad for this burger!!! I haven’t heard of any repercussions yet, but knowing the “religious right” in America it will happen soon!! :rofl: :rofl:

14 Likes

Something happened today that made me think of the witch stereotypes so I had to comment again.
I was watching a “funny ghost show” never watched this one before. I do want to add that 1st off they did not seem like they knew what they were doing and I was super disappointed in the “medium” they use as well. Her presentation seemed more like they were making fun of the whole thing.
There was a person who died near the house that was “rumored to be a Wiccan” idk why that had to do with the show or house they were at investigating but they were making comments about how she prob summoned evil and darkness like oh she was a Wiccan so she must have been into “black magic” I was pissed off actually and turned the show off but ya had to share that

15 Likes

Challenge entry:

My thoughts on this topic went towards how some witches may respond to the stereotypes out there that are widely known. Do we allow ourselves to be influenced by them perhaps?

I think it’s an interesting aspect to explore. I guess for me, my being a witch and why is a very personal thing for me. It is a practice that called to me for reasons based on the inner peace I gain with my meaning for what I practice and what that practice does for me. It’s based on what feels like an ancient calling. It’s based on believing and revering the following:

Live and let live. Fairly take and fairly give.
Cast the Circle thrice about to keep the evil spirits out.
To bind the spell every time let the spell be spake in rhyme.
Soft of eye and light of touch, Speak little, listen much.
Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the Witches’ Rune.
Widdershins go by the waning moon, chanting out the baneful rune.
When the Lady’s moon is new, kiss the hand to her, times two.
When the moon rides at her peak, then your hearts desire seek.
Heed the North wind’s mighty gale, lock the door and drop the sail.
When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss thee on the mouth.
When the wind blows from the West, departed souls will have no rest.
When the wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.
Nine woods in the cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.
Elder be the Lady’s tree, burn it not or cursed you’ll be.
When the Wheel begins to turn, let the Beltane fires burn.
When the Wheel has turned to Yule, light the log and the Horned One rules.
Heed ye flower, Bush and Tree, by the Lady, blessed be.
Where the rippling waters go, cast a stone and truth you’ll know.
When ye have a true need, hearken not to others’ greed.
With a fool no season spend, lest ye be counted as his friend.
Merry meet and merry part, bright the cheeks and warm the heart.
Mind the Threefold Law you should, three times bad and three times good.
When misfortune is enow, wear the blue star on thy brow.
True in love ever be, lest thy lover’s false to thee.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill: An ye harm none, do what ye will.

So I don’t think I’m much influenced by the stereotypes but I also don’t necessarily judge them as I don’t care to. I am certain of my beliefs and their value to me.

For me, it’s a personal belief and practice.

Love everyone’s perspectives and entries.

Great topic!

15 Likes

Ugh. How aggravating when people lump all witches as “Wiccan” and and then totally misrepresent what Wicca is all about. And like – what can you do? Raise awareness with the public? That hasn’t exactly gone over so well in the past :frowning: guess, you’re right, just change the channel!

14 Likes

@Jessica_Zee So true. Hey ho. They need there villians. :sparkling_heart:
@Satu_TheGreenWitch Beautiful :sparkling_heart: where can I get a copy of this poetry or did you write it? It’s a keepsake

10 Likes

I used to be like that, too. I used to get kinda irritated that witchcraft and Paganism were becoming cool. I think it was just irritation because, at one point, it was hard to tell who was sincere and who was just following the fad.

I mean, following the fad isn’t a bad thing because I think all spiritual exploration, even if it’s only because something is cool, is a valid way to grow. But as a Pagan here for the long haul, it was disheartening to find people who were only into things for the aesthetics and couldn’t have deeper, more meaningful conversations with me.

Now, I look at things like this: Paganism and witchcraft being more mainstream just means I can go down the street for my candles and supplies instead of ordering online. I can find beautiful statues or tools local to me rather than online only. More people are open and accepting (or at least tolerating) witchcraft and Paganism so I don’t have to hide anymore.

I think this is one of the beautiful ways that we as witches can see the world. We are open to the magic around us, even when others aren’t.

I think you’re probably right on both counts!

I think your experience is so amazing! To grow up thinking that witches were wonderful and amazing rather than dark and scary – that’s a great thing to hear. I can see how it affected you in another way, though, when you found witchcraft. :thinking: It’s just like anything else. When all we see is perfection or amazing things, we don’t know that there’s hard work under there or that things can also be different. We don’t know that witches fumble, cast spells that don’t work, or go an undetermined amount of time between spells. I’m rambling, of course, but thank you for sharing your experience with us. You’re right - you are a witch! :clap:

Oh my Gods :joy: You just reminded me that I had a manager one time who would give people a 10% discount if their total was $6.66 just so it wouldn’t be that number anymore. She had everyone in the building doing it!

I think that’s a stereotype that many witches want to leave in the dust! You’re absolutely right. When it comes to Satan, I also think he exists because of humanity’s need to have someone to blame for all of the bad things that happen in the world. I do think we’ve come pretty far as a species with regard to religious tolerance, but hopefully, this one is left behind soon! :clap:

This is along the lines of where my mind went with this challenge! I’ll have to make my own comment about it for the challenge entry, but I fully relate to the irritation you felt!

I think that’s a really interesting side of the discussion! I’m not sure if I’m influenced by witch aesthetics or if I just liked them to begin with and that drew me in… :thinking: It’s like that age-old question – which came first, the chicken or the egg? :joy: :baby_chick:

I hope you don’t mind if I jump in here real quick to answer, @Satu_TheGreenWitch :blush: This poem is part of the longer version of the Wiccan Rede. We have a copy here on Spells8 if you’d like it!

→ The Wiccan Rede (Song) – Spells8

13 Likes

Challenge Entry

Broomsticks, evil spells, magic wands and frog eyes. What in the name of witchcraft is going on here?

For modern-day practitioners of Wicca, the “religion of the witches,” these ideas couldn’t be farther from the truth. Often lumped with Satanism, and mocked endlessly come Halloween or a Harry Potter flick, much of society has plenty to learn about witchcraft. (Wiccan stereotypes by Colin Dabkowski )

Flying broomsticks, evil spells and pointy hats usually come to mind when people think of witches. haggard green faces with big warty noses toiling over bubbling cauldrons Negative images of witches in Western society go back as far as the 12th century, when religious leaders began to view the long, benign practice as dark and devil-worshipping. Over the centuries, the condemnation grew into witch hunts and trials, which led to the current stereotype of witches as scary, black-clad creatures emerging on Halloween to cast spells. ( Rosemary Szymanski-Lockett ,Stefani Michelle)

These are just some of the stereotypes that I have found/heard, but being raised in one of the “Bible Belt” states the stereotypes above is all I heard. Now that my family knows of my practice this is all hear/asked :joy: “hey I been feeling a heavy energy around can you do a cleanse for me”

“ I’m having anxiety and I’m not sure what else to do to help can you do something to help” “ I need a crystal to help with (whatever) what one should I get” don’t get me wrong I love to help any way I can. Now that I’m open with my practice I get asked every single time “ you worship the devil?” :roll_eyes: my son believes I ride on a broom now so I guess that’s a plus side :joy:.

16 Likes

I agree with you:

“This will be a challenge to find something related to stereotyping” (TheMuslimWitch, Spells 8, 2023).

My son was over a while ago and I mentioned something about the Universe and spells thinking I should not have done that only because I did not want to hear any negative comment from him. But…he turned all that around on me and started explaining to me, Astrology, Renegades and The Lions Gate, etc…

Needless to say, I was shocked! I had no idea he knew much more than I did at the time.

Blessed Be and I am looking forward to reading your Challenge!
Medea

15 Likes

Hi Brandy20. I really enjoyed reading your post. You had me laughing several times :rofl: There are so many stereotypes out there, I am not sure witch (lol) direction I am going to go.

Blessed Be,
Medea

12 Likes

@brandy20 This is great, and true. But, I wish the broomstick was true, as I wouldn’t have to sit in all the traffic in rush hour. How good would a flying broom be. :joy:

15 Likes

@ArcticCharm challenge-entry :snowflake:

Friends,
I have been doing a lot of thinking about this challenge. As someone just beginning her journey, perhaps stereotypes loom larger for me at this point, than for some of you. All the stereotypes that other people have mentioned regarding devil worship, evil, etc. are what I struggle to overcome in my own mind, being raised Christian.

Implicit bias is real!! Those who practice the craft that I meet (including my own students) have begun to erode those stereotypes for me. I have always been drawn to this practice and now have the courage to begin my journey. This is one of the only spiritual traditions where crusade-like world domination and mass murder has NOT been a key tenet. (Spoiler alert: I teach history :grin:).

Here are some of the more balanced fictional depictions I have encountered (if I am mistaken PLEASE let me know -I have much to learn)

:mage: Wicked
:mage: The mages in The Witcher
:mage: Scarlet Witch
:woman_mage: Disney’s Descendants

:snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

16 Likes

@ArcticCharm This is great, I totally forgot about Disney’s Descendants and Scarlet witch. :sparkling_heart:

13 Likes