What Does a Red Door Mean?

What Does a Red Door Mean?

The history, origin and meaning of a home having a red front door is varied. There is no one origin for the red exterior door.

Consider these meanings

In Feng Shui, a red front door means “welcome.” Feng Shui is a Chinese philosophy in which the arrangement and color of objects in a room relates to the flow of energy. The front door is known as the “Mouth of Chi” where energy enters. If you believe in or follow Feng Shui, painting your front door red would create welcoming energy.

A red door meant “welcome” in an old early American tradition If a family had a red front door tired travelers traveling by horse and buggy would know that a home was a welcoming place to rest. They would be able to spend the night there.

A red door provides protection. In Biblical times, the Hebrew slaves were instructed to smear the blood of a lamb on their front doors to protect their first born from the angel of death.

In olden days, Catholic churches painted the doors of their church red to represent the blood of Christ. Passing through the door would mean that you were on holy ground.
Some believe a red door protects the occupants from evil.

A red front door means mortgage-free In Scotland, homeowners would paint their front door red to signify that they had paid off their mortgage.

http://www.homecurbappeal.com/what-does-a-red-door-mean-the-history-origin-and-meaning-of-having-a-red-front-door/

14 Likes

It could mean your at my house, haha!

19 Likes

I love your door!

12 Likes

That’s very interesting, @Garnet! I’ll have to keep this in mind the next time I spot a red door. It seems like a red door is more than just a pretty aesthetic- it has protective qualities as well! :door: :heart:

And hahaha @Valen :joy:

11 Likes

Rich and I have “discussed” a red door more than once. Unfortunately, in Florida, it really isn’t done. It looks so pretty in the winter up north.

10 Likes

All the doors in my apartment building are red. I guess that’s a good thing!

8 Likes

I am really loving the little knowledge that I am getting here @Garnet it’s very beneficial for me. I am glad to know all these meanings are nothing at all what I would believe in the past about red doors :dizzy_face: especially when watching movies :joy::joy:. It’s actually surprising to me :blush: about the information given. Thanks for sharing!

10 Likes

That door is rad man!

9 Likes

I only know on the biblical part of it, didn’t know that it has a meaning depending of the cultures.

5 Likes

I actually denied the old Gods and the craft for a long time because of superstition, Disney, (they started brain washing us even as small children)and the poor hype that we, the lay person, got from the media.
*You have to make blood sacrifice for spells-I wasn’t killing anything.
*You must dance naked in the moonlight-I’m old and fat, it wouldn’t be pretty.
*Sex magic…see above.
The old gods, see Hercules, Xena, Clash of the titans. They were made to look vainglorious, petty, spiteful and just mean. More scary myth than what I now believe is truth.
I guess it’s just, seeing isn’t always believing.
Thanks for your comments Nicki, I always enjoy hearing from a fellow witch.

8 Likes

But it’s OK to have a pink house, go figure. :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful door :door:

5 Likes

I wish I was mortgage free and that I lived in Scotland :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Well, you might get a different answer if ask Mick Jagger…

@Garnet, Dancing in the moonlight is about the dance and the dancer, not about who watches or sees…but don’t try telling that to the cops!

@christina4 and I would like to be your neighbor! Mortgage free, close enough to help and support, far enough away for privacy…and Scotland!!

8 Likes

I really appreciate knowing about the Red Door! I would love to have one on my house if we can get the siding redone. Houses… always a work in progress…

My favorite color is blue & I notice that in this state, there are quite a few Blue Doors here! I see a lot of Red ones too. I always love the aesthetic of them, especially in the winter. I would definitely like to use one when I am mortgage-free! That will be a great feeling!

5 Likes

I’d probably rock up and think you were having some mental break down if I didn’t know witchcraft… And because you’d be in such a deep trance you’d probably not even be able to answer questions right and end up being sent to hospital for a check up - haha!

Tem

5 Likes

Temujin_Calidius and Undomeher?
You guys are such fun!

5 Likes

Ha! Yes! The house is always in progress of Meeting the Crone and I’m always working to try to stop it!

4 Likes

We could be roomies!!! What you talking bout… neighbors. I’d wanna see your altar in person and wake you up at 3am to watch some funny video I found. Idk :crazy_face::grin: I killed it.i tried to make a joke .

6 Likes

You made me smile, so it counts. If you wake me up at 3am, you’re likely to see more than my altar :wink:…just saying, roomie!

8 Likes