What is the veil

See, that aligns with my belief, but if I’d had to put it into words it wouldn’t have made half as much sense. Thank you for that @Garnet

11 Likes

Very nice. You wrote that beautifully?

10 Likes

LOL, thank you :rofl: :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Hi Everyone

That was was awesome @Garnet but I have a question… Me being in the Southern Hemisphere, winter is June… So is that then when the veil is the thinnest here?

It all gets very confusing because everybody knows that its Halloween in October… That’s when the pumpkins come out… Now bringing pumpkin’s out in June is just weird…

Everywhere here in South Africa everyone is celebrating Halloween but in reality the sun is shining and it’s hot… going into summer…

12 Likes

@yolande1
I think Bry posted a wheel for the s. hemisphere.
That is such an excellent question, I’ll give it some thought and research it.
Thanks
Garnet

10 Likes

Garnet is right! There are a couple of lovely Wheels for the Southern Hemisphere in the forum- although I’m afraid I can’t claim credit for them! @TheMuslimWitch and @Temujin_Calidius shared their Southern Wheels :wheel_of_dharma: :grinning:

I did a bit of digging, and found two:

Here’s another great discussion about it as well:

It is a great question, @yolande1, and if I can put in my personal two cents about it, I would say that the Sabbats are inherently tied to the seasons- Sabbats mark key points in the cycle of the year and are festivals and celebrations that honor being present within the current season.

That being said, I’ve heard of some Southern witches who follow the Northern Wheel of the Year, and there are certainly witches who live in climates (such as close to the equator) where there aren’t four distinct seasons :sun:

At the end of the day, I think each witch should celebrate and do what feels right to them and their unique practice :handshake: :heart:

However you choose to celebrate, wishing you a very blessed and happy time! Lots of love and blessed be :sparkles:

13 Likes

O my word that is the perfect answer and you are right @BryWisteria. I have been trying so hard to adapt and figure out what happens when that you tend forget what its all about… It is about the seasons and has nothing to do with all the holidays etc etc… Its about honoring the Lord and Lady… Being grateful to Mother Earth for getting us on to the next season. It’s a beautiful thing the seasons and the way the Universe works. That is what’s important at the end of the day.
As you say it doesn’t matter if the right season is being celebrated wherever in the world, the fact that you are there and honoring the change of season is what matters…

Thank you so much for that inspiration.

12 Likes

You’re very welcome, Yolande- it’s an honor if I could help inspire you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Lots of love and blessed be! :heart::sparkles:

9 Likes

And it is perfect sense. Its your truth and thats whats amazing , we can all sharre without people thinkin were crazy! With that being said I just had the mosted heated conversation with someone… i swear if I could of turned them into a toad. I would of snapped my fingers. Sometimes people think im crazy when religion comes up. And it just makes me so mad… its crazy I just stumble on this post. So mo it sounds amazing! We should never have to question what our believes sound like! Thanks for lwtting me vent.
Blessed Be

11 Likes

@antoinette
You cannot teach the blind to see or teach the deaf to hear.
What we can do is forgive them.
They are so mired in whatever dogma was drilled into their heads as children.
Children are not born with sin, original or otherwise.
They are carefully taught by spiritual leaders and others in authority. Unfortunately, teachers and even parents perpetuate the misdirection of young minds and thoughts.
Can you see how their circle continues generation after generation? We can only send prayers or rituals into the universe and have their eyes opened with the truth.
Blessed be
Love you all
Garnet

12 Likes

Opinions are like noses, everybody has one and no two are the same.
Your truth, is just that, your truth.
Now other religions may condem you or warn you of hell, but what is hell?
It came from the book, Dante’s Inferno. It’s the first part of Italian writer Dante Alighieri’s 14th-century epic poem Divine Comedy.

Inferno (Dante) - Wikipedia))

The “church” at that time was corrupt and dictatorial, INFERNO, became the newest whip
with which it (the church) essentially tortued an ignorant and frightened population.
Garnet

8 Likes

Some say they all smell.:wink:

I used to say that an old actor named Jimmy Durante had the biggest nose I’d ever seen. He died and took his nose (and his opinions) with him.

A lot of our opinions were created in our youth by the authority figures who were just as lost because they were influenced by others in authority. Some of this mess seems to be clearing, lately. Yay! May the cleaning work continue, and Blessed Be the workers!

Which is all of us, btw!

7 Likes

:joy:

Noses also remind me of one of my favourite Asimov quotes:

People say ‘It’s as plain as the noise on your face.’ But how much of the nose on your face can you see, unless someone hold a mirror up to you?

Which speaks to the value of community (such as what we have here).

6 Likes

So I had an interesting interaction yesterday regarding the veil. Through a medium we channeled the other side. Several spirits came through. One said that the veil will remain open. Spirit is finding it harder to communicate with us and wants to leave the veil thin so they can help and guide us better. I hope this is true as I am reaching out to my spirit guides abd ancestors. I’ve definitely been connecting more the last few days. I guess we’ll find out soon!

8 Likes

As usual, I have a million thoughts lol. I was wondering for the last 2 days why is the veil there in the first place. Just a lil halloween candle got me to that point… Is it to protect us from the world of dead? Is it to protect the dead from our world? Or simply because they know more and should not disclose certain things to us? I like to believe it’s like a border of a country. We reach it and need a passport to go further, but in this case our soul and life is a one time ticket. As they say - let’s remember that down here, we all lost somebody. There, however, they lost all of us.

9 Likes

I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of the veil is or why it’s thinner now. With it being thinner it’s easier to communicate between the realms.

5 Likes

I don’t have the mental space to fully dive into the concept of the veil. However, I do have two different articles that can help! I’ll dive in and maybe write a whole post about this concept of the veil :heart:

8 Likes

The kind of spiritual experiences we expect to have at Samhain and Beltane now happen year-round. People who move between the worlds say the boundaries they usually encounter are minimal, or simply aren’t there. More people are experiencing the Fair Folk more frequently. And Otherworldly encounters are increasing – almost everyone has a story, if they feel safe telling it.

Whoa! :astonished:

7 Likes

Wow! I would loooove to read on that topic! Thanks for the articles :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Yeah, this is something that John Beckett has been writing about for a few years now! He wrote a post in 2016 titled The Veil is Shredded that has some really interesting (and relatable) revelations in it! One thing that really sticks out to me is that this veil, or mist, or boundary - whatever you want to call it - was closer to our physical world many years ago. John suggests that the boundary hardened and solidified with the rise of modern civilization, but now it is going through a cycle of thinning and softening.

I tend to think that like much in Nature, the Veil waxes and wanes in natural cycles… albeit very long cycles. The stories of our ancestors tell us that the Otherworld used to be much closer to the ordinary world. If the Veil became thicker and harder at the same time as the rise of civilization, perhaps it’s time for it to become thinner and softer again.

If it’s a natural cycle, then it can’t be reversed, and what we’re seeing is only the beginning.

I’ve thought a bit about the concept of the veil. I know there’s some sort of separation, and I can’t say I’ve ever crossed the veil easily, but I have crossed the veil. I’ve also experienced situations where entities have crossed from the Otherworld into this world. The way I see it (right now, at least - sometimes my beliefs fluctuate) is that the Otherworld and the physical world exist at the same time right on top of each other. Each place is different - geographically, physically, spiritually, etc. - but they exist simultaneously. If an entity wants to make their presence known to us, they need to get close to the boundary between the worlds - some entities find this easier than others. Some entities have no desire to interact with our world. Some entities thrive on human interaction.

It gets more complex for me when I think about the different levels of the Otherworld. In this instance, I’m using the word “Otherworld” to categorize anything not of our physical reality. In Irish belief, for example, there are several places that exist outside the physical reality in which humans live. These include Tír nAill (“the other land”), Tír Tairngire (“land of promise/promised land”), Tír na nÓg (“land of the young/land of youth”), Tír fo Thuinn (“land under the wave”), Tír na mBeo (“land of the living”), Mag Mell (“plain of delight”), Mag Findargat (“the white-silver plain”), Mag Argatnél (“the silver-cloud plain”), Mag Ildathach (“the multicoloured plain”), Mag Cíuin (“the gentle plain”), and Emain Ablach (possibly “isle of apples”). [this list of places came from Wikipedia with their translations]

It’s possible that these are all different names for similar places in the Otherworld. It’s also possible that each name is that of a specific place in the Otherworld. Each of these places shows up in Irish mythology in different stories, but there aren’t a lot of answers about what each place is (or at least none that I have found yet!). There’s also another place called Tech Duinn, or the House of Donn. This is the place where it is believed the souls of the dead traveled, but it is unknown if this was a temporary resting place or someplace more permanent.

So, when I think of the veil between worlds, I don’t see it as a literal barrier. It’s the separation between worlds that is only natural for different planes of existence. It’s like John Beckett writes in Thinking About the Veil Between Worlds – he can’t walk into a bank and get into the vault because there are many security measures in place that he doesn’t know how to get around. If he knew the codes and how to bypass the security measures, he could easily travel between being outside the vault and inside the vault.

I’m not meant to know of the Otherworld except where I can travel when invited or guided - and I would never travel in the Irish Otherworld on my own. I am more open to messages and visits from the Otherworld to our world, though, and that’s how I’ve set up my practice and protections.

7 Likes