What to use

What can you use if you do not have a specific herb, or essential oil for oil or spells? What would be better to use or substitute for an herb

11 Likes

Hi @amy58 in general, Rosemary can be a substitute herb for any herb. Is there a specific intention with the herb that you are looking to use? You could use an herb that has a similar or the same correspondence as that herb.

You could substitute the herb for something else entirely with the same intention as the herb in question too.

Is it a type of spell or a specific spell.

• Rosemary can be substituted for any other herb
  • Rose can be substituted for any other flower
  • Frankincense can be substituted for any gum resin
  • Copal can be substituted for any gum resin
  • Tobacco can be substituted for any poisonous herb

Herbal Substitutes - Raven & Crone

You can also take a peek at:

12 Likes

I was going to try to make prosperity oil but I don’t have dragons blood and possibly 1-2 other herbs that I don’t have and I would like to do my best to get what I need to, I’ve got some essential oils but not all of them

7 Likes

Hi again!

So I have this information from the Raven & Crone Herbal Substitutions list:

DRAGON’S BLOOD-Equal parts Frankincense and Red Sandalwood

You may want to look through this site:

I would go through the Raven & Crone list because there is a cross-reference list of which herbs to substitute with other herbs if you have more than 1 that you are missing so the prosperity oil isn’t all rosemary for a substitute.

I tend to use a carrier oil with essential oils when I am not diffusing them. I like Grapeseed Oil or EV Olive Oil.

9 Likes

Thank you so much I appreciate it.

5 Likes

No problem at all! I hope it comes out perfectly for you! :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

Looks like the wonderful @Susurrus has got your back! Thanks for asking this, I didn’t see that all-purpose herbs list before. Or I did and I forgot it. Oops.

4 Likes

@Susurrus

5 Likes

I was wondering what can you substitute for goddess oil or if you have a recipe for goddess oil?

6 Likes

Hi @janah
Is this what you are looking for?

6 Likes

@amy58 I love all the answers you received and agree with them all, and although I’m a bit late in answering because I wasn’t part of the coven then, I thought I’d share my own recipe from my BoS:

Use this oil in rituals calling for abundance, prosperity, good fortune, or financial success.
To make this oil use 1/8 Cup base oil of your choice.
Add the following essential oils:

• 5 drops Sandalwood
  • 5 drops Patchouli
  • 2 drops Ginger
  • 2 drops Vetivert
  • 1 drop Orange
    As you blend the oils, visualize your intent, and take in the aroma. Label, date, and store in a cool, dark place.

:green_heart:

7 Likes

@janah I also have one in my own BoS a little different from what @marsha shared from Spells8:

Triple Goddess anointing oil
Ingredients:
2 OZ’S CARRIER OIL, add the Essential Oils:
1 drop cedar oil
6 drops lavender oil
3 drops rosemary oil
3 drops cypress oil
4 drops vanilla oil
1 drop patchouli oil (optional, because it’s strong)
Seal tightly in a dark glass vial until ready to use.

Blessed be! :green_heart:

7 Likes

I was gonna answer but yall beat me to it. Love all of the answers.

7 Likes

@jan_TheGreenWitch do u mind if i save those recipes?

7 Likes

Hey thats the list i shared @Susurrus lol glad i was able to contribute a bit

7 Likes

I have an affinity for essential oils & ways to use them more throughout my days for different things mundane or otherwise :laughing: it’s how I wound up making my own incense with fresh herbs & resin pieces, woods, oils. I do have the hang of fresh incense. So it may be time to move onto incense cones after I am finished with the Chakra posts :joy:

7 Likes

Please! Be my guest :white_heart: :white_heart:

6 Likes

Yaaaaaaayyyy thanks love @jan_TheGreenWitch

6 Likes

@Susurrus yes u do, another reason we are twinsies

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.