When a get a reversal card do I just read the reversal or can I read what the card means example like in love/ or money?

I took the Biddy Tarot course and I LOVED it. I was actually motivated to take it specifically to understand reversals better. Side note: I had no idea everyone referred to them as reversals… I always called them inversions, or I said the card was inverted. Not important, but it took some getting used to.

ANYWAY, I used to read reversals specifically as the direct opposite meaning of the upright version. But I learned with Biddy Tarot that there are almost 7 other ways to read them, which some people have already mentioned here. 1) Internalized energy/meaning (think about the cards meaning for yourself); 2) blocked energy; 3) too much or too little energy; 4) upside down imagery; 5) unconscious awareness; 6) a simple “No”; 7) a previous lesson to still be learned by referencing the card that comes before it in the deck. The last one is the hardest and is probably a method for someone who is intimately knowledgeable of the Tarot, but there’s a lot of different ways to read (or not read!) reversals.

I also agree with others that you use the method you’re most comfortable with, or as they say in the Biddy Tarot program, decide before you start your reading how you will read the reversals. But the owner, Brigit, will say that the vast majority of the time she reads reversals as internalized energy.

Apologies for the long response. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Several decades ago I read a fantastic tarot book that stated the reversed meanings with the caveat that if the majority of the cards in any given reading are reversed, or more than 3 in a Celtic cross (ie a third - 1/3 - of the cards in a known formal spread) then the cards should be read upright depending on the cards surrounding it. Part of the idea is that, if the querant or reader is confused, poses a muddled question, or is facing mixed energies in the event, the cards may indicate that.

In other words, if the cards surrounding a negative card, where there are numerous reversals, are all highly positive (negative) and the outcome tends towards the positive (negative), then the card should be read as upright or with the negative (positive) meaning severely weakened. Not unlike Gypsy deck or Lenormand readings.

So, let’s say in a Celtic Cross, 4 cards are reversed and there’s a neutral or positive future and/or outcome, some (if not all) of those reversed cards should be read upright.

For some, this method might make each reading more personal and intuitive because more in-depth concentration is needed. But once you’ve gotten used to it, it makes the readings much more accurate which might be fantastic if doing readings for others.

For me, I read them all upright to reduce confusion since there are enough cards to provide a solid personal reading in the upright. I figure that the card that’s ‘needed’ to explain a situation can’t control whether it’s upright or reversed in the deck. That depends on the last reading, how you put it down last, how you picked it up now, shuffled, etc. So, that concept of ‘Majority Reversed to Upright’ reading made sense to me.

6 Likes

Thank you for this info!

7 Likes

I have not heard this but it’s an interesting idea. :thinking::thinking::thinking: I am going to look into it more and give it a try. Thanks for the info!

@Harmony I am now saving for her course!!

6 Likes

Money well spent. But I do have a tip for you, because I was saving for it as well. Every year around Thanksgiving/Black Friday she offers 50% off her products, so I think you could continue to save and wait a couple of months. Just keep an eye on her social media/email lists… that’s how I ended up buying it. I treated myself to a birthday gift to me. :grinning:

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip! My birthday is early November so I can do the same!!

5 Likes

@Amaris_Bane the 50% off is live now, so go for it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!!

5 Likes

@Amaris_Bane I have been taking courses with Biddy Tarot & she has free ones that run, I actually just finished 1 this morning… the certification class has a special offer for a discount whether in one payment or over 12 months. Since I’m already currently enrolled in one to help with reading intuitively & reading the cards in general, I’m waiting on the certification one until I feel like I should go that route or not.

The intuitive reading daily practice though, has really helped me connect with my cards & read them through the basic tools & workbook with 3 techniques. It really enforces my connection with intuition & my cards.

I hope you enjoy them as much as @Harmony & I have been. Its really helped with my intuition & trusting it a bit more each day.

6 Likes

I have two of her books and am signed up for her newsletters. I love her approach so I’m excited about this course.

5 Likes

I can’t agree with you more! I love :heart: her approach too & it has helped me so much with trusting myself & intuition. I try to practice daily, (I love the practice worksheet) but there have been a few instances that I haven’t been able to for a good reason :laughing: Major surgery will do that to you for a couple of days & medications the days following made my brain all foggy, so it was definitely time to rest :rofl:

I was in the class, but I signed up right before my surgery so haven’t been able to fully engage in the activities or workbooks with a clear mind until recently. So while finding my groove, I have to add in time to be able to focus on the classwork for a bit each day or week. I haven’t decided how it will fit just yet.

Intuition & being able to trust it again is something that I’m working on overall & part of that is being able to read my tarot cards that way too. I think it will really help with tarot & at least one of my oracle decks as I learn more about the subject matter of them… I’m referencing my Celtic Tree Oracle for this one & the Celtic Goddess deck that I have. The others are a bit more self-explanatory.

I hope you do just as well, I feel like you will do great with it & a deck that you are connected too :heart_eyes:

5 Likes