When a get a reversal card do I just read the reversal or can I read what the card means example like in love/ or money?

I’m confused about the reversal card, I was told when so just read the reversal and nothing else.

9 Likes

Hey Giovanni! :wave:

I’m assuming your talking about reading reversals in tarot, so please correct me if I’m wrong. :blush: :pray:

When it comes to reading reversals, the only thing that really matters is the method you were taught and what works best for you. Also, some decks are made to be read without reversals! If you feel like you need to read the reverse meaning of a card then go for it. If you don’t feel comfortable with reversals or you just don’t like them, that’s okay too! :tada:

I have a deck called The Somnia Tarot. This is one deck I don’t read reversals for because it just doesn’t feel right. The energy of the deck itself doesn’t fit well with reversals, the cards are too big for me to shuffle in order to get reversals, and it doesn’t feel right. However, I have a few other decks that don’t mind being read in reverse.

The important thing is that you choose the option that works best for you, not the option that works best for your answer, if that makes sense :blush:

10 Likes

Yes it does, Thank You
I’m very new to this and want to learn Tarot reading with a passion. I have three decks, one I want to use for reading for others, one for my self and the other still determining if I’m going to use them or not.

7 Likes

I don’t blame you for wanting to learn :blush: It’s a fascinating divination method!

Have you seen our tarot course here on Spells8? It’s an entire video course dedicated to learning tarot. It takes you through each card one-by-one to teach you the symbolism of the cards and help you put them together!

You might also like @Amethyst’s poems about the tarot – she created a poem for each card that helps her remember the upright and reversed meaning of the cards.

7 Likes

Hello, @giovanni , reversals are interesting.
I see them as stuck energy.
I found this book to be amazing when it domes to describing reversals.

Also, one day when I was imagining myself within the 10 of wands, and then I turned it upside down. It was interesting because in my image the wands fell and landed on the ground. I felt an energy shift as well when I did that. The message wasn’t a book message but it was a message I understood and realized how I needed to implement the reversal energy to help me move forward.

Anyways, I highly recommend that book. I don’t often read reversals but when it comes up that book is brilliant!

7 Likes

Fir reversals, I do have:

:flower_playing_cards: Tarot Poems by The Gifted and Talented Amethyst printed & you can look up each card & their traditional meanings on:

5 Likes

Hi, I hsven’t taken the Soells8 Tarot course, get and I am looking forward to it. I never used reversed cards until I learned the Biddy Tarot method. I took the free classes on the website and I bought all three of her course books. I like her method of reading reversals. She teaches that upright cards indicate externally expressed energy while reversed cards indicate internally expressed energy. She sees each tarot card as an expression of energy. This would take a lot more explaining including examples. She teaches to rely on our own intuition and also feels that if a person is new to tarot they should wait to become really comfortable with the cards before worrying about reversals. If interested, she explains reversals at biddytarot.com and her books are available through Amazon.

7 Likes

Sorry for the soe!ling errors, I am unable to see what I am typing the way this is set up on my Kindle.

7 Likes

Spelling…geesh!

6 Likes

My phone gets me everytime with the spelling :laughing: & my Kindle too. I like to use my laptop most of the time, but it has decided this is a good time to do a big update, restart, & then install. Lol :rofl:

I forat learned & only read upright even if they came out reversed. It was a while before I attempted reversals.

Another good resource for the cards is a podcast on a few platforms, but I have it on Spotify.

“The Tarot Diagnosis” it is done by 2 women that are licensed therapists & go through the cards as they relate to differemt situations on a personal level & self awareness & understanding. So the titles are what they are talking about & then it goes intp which card or cards & positions can mean in those situations or from that point of view.

6 Likes

Ohh, that’s interesting! :thinking: I’ve never heard of that method but I think I like it!

I have seen tarot reversals read as blockages pertaining to the theme of the upright card. :pentacle_tarot: So for example, if you pull the Ace of Pentacles reversed, it could indicate that something is getting in the way of you making a new beginning in your home life or career.

I’ve also seen reversed cards read as the opposite of the upright. So using the same example of the Ace of Pentacles, this would mean that something in your life that you enjoy is going to end soon as it pertains to home life or career, etc.

6 Likes

As @MeganB mentioned, reading reversals or not is up to you. I have some decks I read them, and others I don’t. And even with the decks I do read reversals, some days it doesn’t feel right so I’ll read them only upright that day.

If you choose to read them, I encourage you to use them from the beginning rather than trying to learn them later. A book I love for reversals is The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary K. Greer (Amazon). It includes interpretations based on many different theories and traditions. The interpretations are meant to stimulate your intuition and some meanings will “jump out” at you as the “correct” interpretation for the reading at hand.

I think of reversals as having a deficiency or over abundance of the upright meaning. For example, the 4 of swords generally means rest and contemplation for me. In reversal, it could mean that you are not resting and on the verge of burnout. Alternatively, it could mean that you are not taking the action needed, spending too much time in contemplation and, as a result, things have stagnated.

I hope this helps!

6 Likes

Omg! The Ace of Pentacles is my stalker card with one of my tarot decks. I just pulled it today while I was on the phone with my husband. So much to unpack there considering that I am feeling the need to do some shadow work and getting cards telling me that I am going through a transition.
Sorry, didn’t mean to muck up the thread. But honestly, for me it was so awesome you used the Ace of Pentacles as your example and I just saw this about 10 mins after I pulled it!!!

6 Likes

I honestly didn’t realize there were so many ways to do reversals!

6 Likes

@Phoenix_Rose – omg lol it sounds like you definitely need to pay attention to that card then!

@ValentinaMarie – Yup! You can even see that A.E. Waite didn’t have too much to say about reversed cards in his Pictorial Key (The Pictorial Key to the Tarot Index) – he’s got a few different keywords but nothing much.

5 Likes

I also completed the Biddy Tarot Masterclass. Got my certificate and everything! It took me about a year to do but I have learned so much. I guess because I learned with the reversals as well as upright; I read as they come. If I need more information on a certain card I just draw another card to explain. Bottom line is to do what feels good for you. The Tarot and you are sharing a journey that will be filled with so much information. Take your time with Tarot and you will be rewarded. If reversals are not your thing right now then dont do it. Do what is comfortable for you. I completely fell in love with Tarot and once I got over being overwhelmed and began to trust my intuition; well…there is no stopping me now :grinning:

7 Likes

@Lavendergirll, I’ve been eyeing her class. Do you recommend it?

5 Likes

Although I completed the course I am still overwhelmed by all the information given to me. Each time I pick up the cards I learn something else. She makes the cards come alive. You build on each card your own relationship with that card. I enjoyed it very much. I am going to sign up for her her certification class. But right now still so much to absorb.

5 Likes

When i first started out reading tarot in general, I used labyrinthos. Heres the link for upright and reversal meanings.

6 Likes

I get this one a lot too!

5 Likes