Witchy Self-Care Routines

Mine is a large leather book and I’m trimming the paper to fit. I also bought some calendars at Dollar Tree at the beginning of the year that are nature themed, so I am going to chop those up too!

7 Likes

6 Likes

Oh, very nice! I don’t like throwing out calendars with beautiful art, either. I have a stack of illustrations by GDBee on the other side of this room that are waiting for another use. Maybe that’s a new life amid my BoS entries! Thanks for the inspiration!

(If you don’t already have a trimmer, I find the Cricut brand paper trimmer is really handy for resizing various things to fit or to trim off unprinted edges.)

7 Likes

My apologies @Amaris_Bane for directing the thread to some pibble (my new favorite word for them @gardenstone) love :heart: thread :laughing: but it has made my day :star_struck: seeing the puppers! APBTs are just oozing with love & cuddles… Moo :rainbow: was 1/2 red nose & 1/2 rottweiler & both are rescues. Alphie we kind of confiscated because of his situation. Neither likes water though :thinking:

I had a migraine yesterday for a good 6 hours & Alphie was with me until I was up walking around again. Unless he had to go out… but my husband said if he left me it was to lay on the bed on the floor (I have his blankets beside the couch where I lay if he can’t get behind my legs he will sit there unless there are blankets for him to lay on… so spoiled my puppers are :joy:) beside me or to get a drink and then go right back behind my legs.

The two of them would do it before, Alphie has just gotten closer to me since Moo :rainbow: & now he is actually a lot better with me than he used to be… he was always close but definitely like my husband’s dog. Moo was my dog. Now he is more attentive to me & we became closer, we are there for each other. When the boys get home though, he knows it’s time to rough house & play… he’s gentle with me, he knows I have limitations. But he gets excited & zoomie when the boys get home at the end of the day :joy:

8 Likes

I have yet to home a pibble that likes swimming! I think it’s their delicate personalities. Water is just so unpredictable (as if they’re not!).

Having owned pibbles, I don’t think I’d ever seek out another breed (though I’m not against the universe presenting me with someone who needs me–and who I need). They’re wonderful, loving, and so caring. It doesn’t surprise me that Alphie and Moo are/were so attentive to you when your head hurts. They really don’t like to see anyone suffer. They believe in self-care, that’s for sure! And loved-one-care! I’ve never seen another animal who just wants to be there for someone like a pibble. I think they definitely count as part of a self-care topic!

Although I can’t not mention, while I’m crediting a furry loved one with caring for me, how the cats I’ve had in my family would care for me when I was ill. Whenever I had the flu and a fever, Goblin (who passed of old age in 2021) would lay on my chest and help me sleep (without him I just couldn’t be comfortable enough to drift off) until the fever broke. It was as important a part of the healing process as the prescriptions from my physician!

The animals who share our homes and our lives really are an amazing element of self-care. I don’t think anyone who’s had the grace of a fur-coated friend in their life would argue that.

(Not sure my New Caledonian crested gecko did much for me–we had a mutual agreement not to bother each other–but she sure was gorgeous!)

7 Likes

I don’t mind the couch hippo take over! Cobalt and Wilson are numbers 5 and 6 for us, all rescues. We did decide that we are moving away from the breed of we are still in an RV full time when Cobalt goes to the Rainbow Bridge (he’s the younger of the two) simply because of space. But I think I have my husband sold on French Bulldogs, which to me are like mini pibbles. I agree that all my animals have always been a vital part of my self care, even in my darkest days of depression they can always bring a smile to my face and get me out of bed because I know they depend on me.

I don’t think we have a thread, or at least I haven’t seen it. I know that here and there people have randomly shared their BoS or Book of Mirrors on various threads but I don’t think there’s a central thread. Now I’m tempted to go start one!

@Ostara I love the idea of doing the scrapbook paper! That would be so gorgeous.

Back to self-care, Sundays are our house/errands day plus couple care day. We drop laundry at the cleaners as early as we can so we can pick it up same day. Then we come back and enjoy the rest of the morning doing nothing. Usually I’m on the couch with the hippos and my coffee either pursuing Pinterest or reading one of my several books I have in progress. Often my hubby will bug me with TikTok videos. After lunch, we head to town to do or errands. We do pick up for Walmart and/or HEB so we don’t have to go in the store. Then it’s to Walgreens to pick up meds of needed. Back to the house and it’s time to do my weekly cleaning. It takes me about an hour to clean the whole camper. By mid afternoon, we are done with our “have toos” and then spend the rest of Sunday relaxing.

Today we are planning to watch a movie after chores are done. Now to decide what to make for dinner later. :thinking:

4 Likes

Migraines suck!!! Ive been fighting cluster ones this week. Ughhhhh. Hope u are feeling better @Siofra_Strega

7 Likes

Oh be still my heart look at those “aggressive” babies. They are soooooo precious. I want to snuggle with them. @Amaris_Bane

7 Likes

@Ostara omg what a beauty

This was my baby, she past away last yr at 13 yrs old of cancer. She was a pit/lab mix rescue

7 Likes

I am feeling much better today. I have chronic migraines & they are well controlled, this was like an out of the blue… here this is happening this afternoon so cancel your plans… Cluster headaches are just as bad though… I hope they stop soon & start to ease up!

& look at that lab/pibble! Adorable! Eeekk… all these pupper pictures are just making my day!

7 Likes

@Susurrus im glad u are feeling better. I get it, i have chronic cluster migraines, so told. They need to just go away. I even take shots which usually do really well. But out of the blue. Just like u said this one has grabbed on and doesnt want to let go.

And puppers u want puppers oh i go u

For anyone who’s ever seen Ferngully. My name is Batty (actually Cooper buuutttt not as funny) lol :laughing:

8 Likes

My dog showed up on my porch on a Friday afternoon. I get off at noon on Friday and I took the key to unlock the door and dropped it and heard his whine. Looked up and said oh no you have to go. He was so scared he peed on me. I went in and got him a small bowl of wster and food. He was literally backed into a corner of my porch. He peed on my son that night too he was so scared. Scars all over his body from chains and he was a baby. He has the good life now

7 Likes

@Ostara thats kinda how my pit/lab was. Well maybe not so much since i stole her. I went to a friend’s house and she was chained to the porch. Her chain was and had been wrapped so tight it was cutting her neck. And she was infested with so many fleas and ticks i thought she was gray. So when i left i got her off the chain and took her home. Friend never even cared enough to look for her. Needless to say that was the last time i saw that “friend”.

And she lived a long and happy life. And she is buried in our backyard with her buddy, Rocky, our other rescue. Who was a parvo puppy who should’ve died. But bc of great docs he didnt and he then found his home with us

He passed away at the age of 15 and he is the father of my 18 yr old, who is still alive and doing well

7 Likes

@Ostara this is my 18 yr old baby, who’s very much alive and doing well, except for some arthritis.
Screenshot_20220724-192741_Photos

8 Likes

I need to buy a bunch of land out in like Montana & save all the puppers & pibbles & kitties :star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Mistress_Of_Herbs I have shots every 12 weeks & exactly out of the blue, BAM :boom: breakthrough headache & you never know how long or how intense they are going to be, I’m so sorry that it’s been a few days. I have been there before too. This is my first in about 6 months that was this bad, I’ve gotten headaches from tension & stress but breakthrough migraines & clusters are awful. The last one was around November-ish… I love my shots, I actually get extra ones in my jaw joints for TMJ/hypermobile joints… it makes such a difference.

@Ostara we had a kitten do that to us. She found my husband & never left then followed him in the house one day. My daughter was… oh my it might have happened before she was born, because she was my son’s first fur baby friend that he lost & she wasn’t that old when “Kitty” passed :rainbow: hmmm… but then after we rescued Alphie & he has a small prey drive, we decided against another cat. He has been much, much better since we have had him though. He doesn’t flinch at the small animals in the yard or birds or neighborhood cats anymore. Other dogs near his yard he will bark at though. Still, I don’t want to see that prey drive in action in my house. :woman_shrugging: & I don’t think I can have another dog.

My grandmother though, that’s how she had all her cats. & I say all but only 1 at a time was inside with her… the other 2 or 3 actually had food & water dishes on our porch because they were ferel but she put an insulated cat carrier/bed out there for them & there was one that came for years we called Patches. Then after her 18 year old cat passed, Prego started showing up. We honestly thought she was about to have kittens & brought her to the vet to be checked out. Found out, she was just fat… so we tried to find the owner & after a little while, my grandmother adopted her & then she was my Nana’s cat & there were still the 2 outside that would just come & go as they pleased. :laughing:

You know how you have that one dog that you will never find again that just touches your soul & you just know nothing will ever be like that again. That was my Moo for me. He was the one dog that was my dog & just knew, so much without saying a word. & I was his human when something was wrong with him. Then my son was best friends with him… there will just never be another one like him for me. He went through so much with me & I owe my life to him in some ways. :heartpulse:

So safe to say, not ready for that to be an idea that I entertain yet… :heart: :service_dog:

8 Likes

@Siofra_Strega yeah my last one like this was maybe January. This one has put me on my ass.

8 Likes

I know I’m late to the party :sweat_smile: but I think this is a great idea!

I honestly don’t have a lot of self-care stuff going on right now because I’m heavily focused on everyone else. (I know, I know, that’s not good but I don’t have much of a choice right now). But anyway, I love the crystal roller idea that you incorporated into your routine. I might have to get something like that!

Oh you know, as I’m reading through everyone’s replies, I have come to realize that most of my self-care right now is actually not physical things that I’m doing. Well, not all of them. I do try to journal at least once a day. I do try and keep track of my calendar and schedule. I do try to exercise at least a couple times a week. However, what I’m also trying to do is create clearer boundaries for myself, spend more time reading, learning to speak up for myself, learning to appropriately express my emotions as well as communicate them, and even seeking a diagnosis (or at least an evaluation) for ADHD and ASD.

Oh, and my daily cup of coffee :coffee: I used to be really bad about having a cup of coffee plus an energy drink plus a soda. If I’m being honest, the only reason I haven’t had an energy drink or soda is because we don’t have any in the house :sweat_smile: coffee is an absolute must, though.

7 Likes

Hi EVERYONE in this self-care forum - I have to say that my dogs and my cat are probably (and my garden) are the most I do for self care hourly/daily consistently. They comfort me, they make me laugh, they make me smile, they bond me and my partner together, they are all just my sweet sweet babies and I love them. So… Meet Beau - Goldendoodle flat coat 2/yo; Joey Belle - 7.5 mo old Cavapoo

; Mitten long hair tabby, 12 year old. I love them so!!!

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.