Wood Wide Web

Wood wide web

Fascinating article about the secret world of trees.

13 Likes

I remember hearing about the “plant network” in a movie we watched last year during mushroom season (I got a little obsessed :laughing: :mushroom:). It’s really fascinating to think about! Everything really is connected :handshake:

Thanks so much for sharing, @anon87969570! :deciduous_tree: :globe_with_meridians: :sparkles:

10 Likes

Wow, that makes the woods seem even more magical than they already are. Thanks!

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I love trees & forests & this makes them seem so much more fascinating & alive :star_struck:

9 Likes

I read a book about this in January and went to a virtual talk the author did! It really is fascinating. I’m already a tree person, but this made me love them so much more.

10 Likes

@anon87969570 This is a great piece and very current as opposed to so many that are months/years old. We find out more about our home by leaps and bounds daily and it is as complicated and confusing as it is awe inspiring and evolving. We don’t know what we don’t know, and we only see glimpses into what is revealed and that is just all down for sci-fi like Lord of the Rings (Treebeard of the Ent race in Fangorn); Avatar’s pandora and my own favorite (#booknerd) is one by Elizabeth Gilbert, yes the author from Eat, Pray, Love who wrote The Signature of All Things. The story is set in the 1800’s Alma ultimately becomes a botanist of considerable gifts that take her deeper into the mysteries of evolution and she falls in love with a man who makes incomparable paintings of orchids and who draws her in the exact opposite direction—into the realm of the spiritual, the divine, and the magical. She delves into moss in exquisite detail in the book and I think it’s such a great way to learn about science whilst carried away in an academia love story.

As a green witch and living in the woods myself and knowing how sacred the life is to our own survival, I am grateful for all who hold interest, summon courage and speak towards knowledge in this extremely complicated topic. Thank you for sharing! :green_heart::potted_plant:.

10 Likes

@anon87969570
And the Ent spoke: - Tree? I am no tree, I am an Ent." Treebeard .
LOR, Two Towers.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @anon87969570

I can recommend a documentary that came out a couple years ago about this topic. I watched it in the theater and it was amazing!! Fantastic Fungi, the power of Mushrooms.

11 Likes

Ooo… that looks really interesting too. I loved the article, now I’m excited to watch this! Plus, my son just recently showed me how tonwatch YouTube on my TV. This is a game changer for my watch later & meditation lists.

10 Likes

My girlfriend and I have this thing, whenever we encounter something to do with mushrooms she says “I cannot teach you about the fungi” and I respond “to know about the fungus is to become one with the fungus” :joy:

I think it came from a Twitter thread where a fungus researcher told about all the different species they had encountered, their intelligence and adaptability, incredible resilience, and just how mindblowingly alien their life looks compared to our own. We have a lot to learn from the fungus, but we must tread gently :grin: :mushroom:

10 Likes

I am trying to watch this @Francisco however it is no longer available on YouTube TV and only on YouTube movies for rent/purchase. I will rent it if there’s no other link you may have to see it, let me know if you know of one please and thank you! :green_heart:

8 Likes

I just checked and it’s available on Netflix too! I hope you enjoy it!

8 Likes

I love Netflix & know how to work that on my TVs!!! Thank you!

8 Likes

Thank you @Francisco I watched it this morning and remembered seeing Paul Stamets’ TED Talk about it - so great! I logged into their website and purchased the Turkey Tail and Reishi mushroom power supplements to aid in my chemo journey and I am excited to get them. Thanks again! :woman_fairy::green_heart:

8 Likes

I’m glad you liked it! Paul Stamets really knows his stuff! I’m linking his TED talk here in case anyone else is interested:

I don’t know much about mushroom supplements but I remember hearing about someone who was drinking extreme amounts of reishi tea and had some kidney trouble. Just FYI in case you want to check with your doctor. I wish you all the best with the treatment :heart:

7 Likes

We get quite a few mushrooms! I remember when my boys were little & my father would come to visit with his wife & father in law, depending on the time of year, they would go basically forage for mushrooms & dandelions in my yard. Sometimes the neighborhood as they walked to the different rights of way & the beach down the road. He would make soups & different things with them. I remember the boys just being so awe-struck & happily plucking mushrooms & dandelions for him. They never ate them though after they were made :thinking:

I bookmarked the TED talk because now I’m interested. I can think of 3 different mushroom varieties that have come up in our yard throughout the years.

7 Likes

I have checked all through my Oncologist and ND and they gave it a green light after discussion. I do have to be gentle on my kidneys right now for sure, thanks for mentioning that @Francisco. :mushroom:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.