An Alzheimer's Diagnosis led me to Witchcraft

Hello everyone! I’m Jean and I live in a very rural, bible thumping area of Texas, where witchcraft is something to be feared. I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s almost 4 years ago and on my doctor’s advice to “learn something new” I discovered tarot. Which, of course, led to dozens of other “new to me” things. In the process, hubby said one day “I think you are a witch” based on some research he was doing about my behavior and activities. Low and behold, I AM! Who knew.
Anyway, very glad to have found this group as it looks as there will be loads of things for me to focus my dwindling mind on and keep the progression of this awful disease on a slow path.
I do have a blog that I write to try to help others who might be dealing with anything that puts fear into their hearts, if anyone is interested to read about what it is like to live with dementia: https://misadventuresinalzheimers.blogspot.com/ (Can’t remember if adding this is against the “rules”, so if so, please just delete.)

19 Likes

Welcome to the coven I’m John nice to meet you iv been in practice for over 30 years

13 Likes

Wow! 30 years is a long time @john1 . You must know so much. I am trying to fit i 30 years worth of learn in as quickly as I can as I do not know how much time I have left before I won’t be able to learn new things. Thanks for the welcome.

13 Likes

Hello and welcome @jean1 I’m Tracy from England. Well done you for finding your path through Alzheimer’s, you’ll dive in here on Spells8, there is so much to absorb. Enjoy it. My patron deity is Loki, Norse god of chaos and I practice chaos magic. I’ve been in the past attached to a fundamental bible religion, but got out in time to start a new path, with Loki. The pagan way is truly life changing. Make yourself at home Lovely :green_heart:

12 Likes

Thanks for the kind welcome @tracyS . I am just learning about the different paths and especially about paganism. I’ll have to research Loki.

12 Likes

Merry meet!

I’m Kat and live in North Carolina. I found the practice 30 years ago but lost my way for a while. I came home a few years ago and found this amazing group of people!! I am an eclectic Green witch interested in tarot, runes, herbalism, and moon magic. My deities are Artemis (she’s been with me since the beginning) and Hekate, a recent guide in my life.

We’re glad to have you here. :purple_heart: Make yourself comfortable, explore, and feel free to ask questions!

:herb: :bow_and_arrow: :hekate_wheel: :crescent_moon:

11 Likes

It sounds like you are following a very interesting path @Artemisia. I appreciate you warm welcome.

12 Likes

Hecate been working with me and my family for years

10 Likes

@jean1 ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) led me to witchcraft. :witch_pentacle: I had felt such a heaviness in my heart and in my house. Nothing seemed to get rid of it. A friend of mine suggested saging the house. I figured what do I have to lose! And here I am now, a proud witch! :witch_hat: I’m definitely going to check out your blog! Welcome to the coven! :infinite_roots: I’m so glad you’re here! :blush::purple_heart: Let us know if we can help in any way! :heart::people_hugging::blush:

13 Likes

Hello :hugs: and welcome home :infinite_roots: @jean1

It’s nice to meet you, Jean! I’m Marsha, an eclectic solitary witch from Colorado. I have always been fascinated by trees in the wintertime… and I love your thoughts on the trees ~quote from your blog below:

I’ve always love the unique look of dead trees. Like many fingers using sign language to communicate. I’ve always loved the moon the symbolizes our intuition and inner dreamlike thoughts.

There is a lot of great information here, so if you need any guidance, or have any questions, let us know. We are here for you, Jean, welcome to the family :people_hugging:

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

12 Likes

How lovely of you to make such a sweet comment. And, thank you @marsha for taking the time to poke through my blog.

12 Likes

Getting hit with something so life-changing can certainly make up switch gears. I felt the need to completely change everything about my life when I got my diagnosis, so here we, hubby and I, are in rural Texas with sheep, chickens, dogs and cats instead of the life we were living in metro Phoenix for many years! Thanks for your comment @Sivhonna !

13 Likes

welcome beautiful lady :heart:

13 Likes

Thank you @erla1 :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

@jean1 welcome to the witch family! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
it’s so nice to meet new friends!
I’m Airram from Greece, I started Magic with elements and Angels, but I’m still learning!
now I have Hekati :pentagram: :pentagram:next to me,
Taro is among my next plans
I’m glad you’re with us!
Welcome!

12 Likes

Hi @AIRAM ! It is really wonderful being able to meet with people from all over the world. I am very happy to be part of this group and appreciate your comment so much.

12 Likes

Hi, @jean1! I’m Amethyst from Southern West Virginia. Welcome to the forum! :infinite_roots:

It’s nice to meet you. I hope this group can help you keep your mind as much as possible. I can’t imagine what I would do with facing an Alzheimer’s diagnosis. Trying to learn new things and making such a big change is a very brave thing in my book.

12 Likes

Thank you @Amethyst. I’m not sure it’s brave but it certainly is a necessity unless I want to give up… which I don’t. I am a fighter though and hope to learn more every day. :revolving_hearts:

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @jean1 :wave: I’m Susurrus a moderator here at Spells8. It’s nice to meet you!

I have no personal experience with demetia, I have had friends family members with a diagnosis & Alzheimers. I’ve been witness first hand to the effects. :people_hugging: If I could take it away, then I would for you.

I would say that not wanting to give up & being a fighter does make you very brave. Leading you here I hope will be able to help you. We are all friendly & supportive, so please feel free to make yourself at home :house_with_garden:

I practiced when I was younger, but then life happened & I returned in 2020 fully to my practice. A few months later I found Spells8! I’ve been here ever since!

The amount of things of learned have definitely helped me & my practice has evolved over time & is definitely more aligned with myself. Although I still love :heart: to learn about things & my curiosity is piqued all the time :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Please ask any questions, jump in on any open topic, feel free to share with us & start your own topic if you’d like. Also search the forum for anything that may interest you but not immediately in the most recent topics. There is so much to found & many gems from years back too!

I look forward to speaking with you more throughout the forum! :infinite_roots:

12 Likes

Hello @Susurrus I am finding that people here are so friendly and welcoming. I’m almost overwhelmed by the content :face_with_spiral_eyes: But, I’m sure it will become less daunting with time.
Thank you so much for your kind words and for the welcome. I’m happy to be here!

12 Likes