Best method for a Book of Shadows

@bryce Looks awesome! I like the aesthetic of those full moons :full_moon:

@summerlight Wow I admire those organization skills! That’s a great way to make sure all different formats can coexist in the same magickal space.

@carter1 We were discussing online books of shadows earlier this year. I think the topic was this one: Digital BoS/Grimoire Recommendations? There’s some useful information there that you might like

8 Likes

I have my spell pages set up as anything protection goes in that section anything that’s mostly xandle based in my candle spell section and so on. So I totally understand what you mean some are hard to figure out so I put in regular spells section. Unfortunately there’s a lot of those lol.

8 Likes

I have vaguely heard of a box of shadows; yours looks fantastic. I like the appeal of how organized everything is; I may end up at some point doing something like that. At the moment, I’m having a fun time putting together my book of shadows. The most time-consuming part was aging my pages; I was staining them four times and just getting one page done took about 30-45 minutes. I only stain them once on both sides and dry them in the oven.

6 Likes

It’s quite beautiful and condensed, makes it easy to find things quickly. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I started with that, but I like having a physical record of my knowledge I’ve gained in my practice. Personally I think this up to each witch, after all it is what works best for you. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Francisco Thank you my friend, I actually picked up a big book of galaxy and moon paper from Hobby Lobby. I just had to cut them down to letter size. I like the aesthetic as well, also helps with adding more information if I run out of room! :heart:

6 Likes

Currently I have been using Zoho Notebooks which is computer and cloud based, including Apple and Android.

You can keep a dairy using this same method and print pages as you desire.

You can transfer what you find most sacred into what you would call your beautiful version of your book.

I find this my preferred method because like you, I don’t want to mess my main book up. A binder works the same way, as you can move pages to different sections of your book without having everything end up all over the place.

6 Likes

Wow, that’s really nice looking! I broke down and did the scrapbook instead of the 3 ring binder and is that ever an improvement! I am so much happier with the way the pictures turn. I literally sit on my sofa and happily flip away. LOL I am thinking about getting those super long screws Michael’s sells separately with the hope…and this may be a vain hope…that I can kind of fit a bunch more pages in it and not have to go over to another scrapbook. A little cheesed that I cannot buy the pages (8-1/2 x 11) without buying a whole 'nother scrapbook but oh well. It will be worth it.

7 Likes

Oh i am sorry to hear that happened to you what a bummer… I am currently working out my book of shadows but at the moment out of all the books i am composing are my book of shadows in a ringed binder with clear sheets which is all the content from spells8 and yes i mean all the pages and the folder can barely shut and has burst open a few times, my grimoire with important information which includes anything from crystals properties to individual tarot cards and the last which i have remade twice and decided to splurge and buy a decent journal which is taking some time to come in the post and is a maroon coloured journal with the three fold symbol in the middle with a matching antique feather ink pen… All in all i love them all and would drop if someone took one or destroyed one especially the journal as i tend to write very private things in journals which i couldn’t share with anyone…

7 Likes

I swear I am never satisfied lol, I have started compiling my Book of Shadows into OneNote. I gotta say I like it quite a bit, everything is at my fingertips and it doesn’t take up space in the house. I have everything organized and I find I type faster and enjoy the process more. I’m just seeing what works and what doesn’t. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’ve been at it for about a year, use and am still content with a three ring binder, sectioned it off for my daily journaling including tarot readings, then a separate section for spells. Then I use the sleeves to store sigils I’ve created. For older entires I would staple them together, put them in one of those plastic sleeves and store them in my closet.

Now for the dreams, plan to keep a separate journal for that, got a simple composition notebook, to keep by the bed.

To keep my attention on journaling, I allocated some pages in the front for note taking (my to do list for the day, notes from calls, reminders, etc), and included some accounting paper. It looks very unexpected and that’s what I really like about it. :blush:

Looking to get a replacement for this binder, maybe something 1/2 inch wider?

image|375x500

7 Likes

Zoho Notebook is even better. It works on desktop, cloud from their website as well as on app on your phone (Android or apple) so you can take a photo and add it straight to your notebooks at the push of a button.

8 Likes

Zoho looks really cool too, OneNote has been working pretty well for me lately. I have it set up to be interactive with my word documents. It’s quite useful especially with my deity sections, makes it easy to find what I need like symbols or offering for that specific god or goddess.

5 Likes

Your book takes me back to my middle school days, before OneNote and Google Docs that’s how I used to keep track of everything. I just like that I can find everything much easier now thanks to technology advances. Btw I love your book from what I see of it, there is no wrong way to do it. It’s all about what works for you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

I actually have stacks of different regular notebooks and journals filled with my collections that I want to organize into larger binders someday. I am not sure if that’s really helpful but I do believe that whatever you decide to do will be perfect! -blessed be

7 Likes

It actually helps, I really need to start a book of mirrors. I just like being able to read my book of shadows on my phone or iPad. I may start a second notebook in OneNote for that too!

7 Likes

Wow! So colorful!

5 Likes

I had just started my binder of BOS and there’s so much stuff to print on this site alone! I’ve already run my printer out of ink! I do have a smaller leather book as well with the moon goddess symbol on it but I haven’t written anything in it because I don’t want to ruin it. But I do use Google Drive for my journal, grateful pages, synchronicities I see, and automatic writing. I like the fact I can delete instead of scribbling out misspelled words. I’m a bit OCD about neatness, and a place for everything and everything in its place:)

9 Likes

I’m organizing my information that I have collected in folders, but I’m thinking of trying something like this for ease of use.

I’m the same way about scribbles & being neat with the books & journals & binders. :wink:

8 Likes

Right? I’d even rewrite a shopping list if I scribbled something out. That’s how bad I am! Lol

7 Likes