Book of shadows order

In what order should your BOS be?

7 Likes

I would put what you use most up front, and then what you donā€™t use but want to keep in the back. But thatā€™s just me, there are no hard and fast rules.

4 Likes

Well thatā€™s better than alphabetically. Brainwashed by grade schoolā€¦

7 Likes

It makes sense to put it alphabetically if everyone is going to be using it, but if itā€™s going to be just you, you can do it however you want. Mine is on my computer in files so itā€™s alphabetically just because thatā€™s how the computer sorts it.

4 Likes

Sounds good. thank you :blush: :blush:

5 Likes

I debated about how I wanted to order my BoS for a really long time, but then I realized that what makes the most sense for me personally is to make it Bullet Journal style where I add the stuff in the order that it comes to me. I put an index/table of contents in the beginning so that I can easily find what Iā€™m looking for and know exactly where it is.

But then again, I use the Bullet Journal method to keep my mundane life organized, so I found that keeping the same method in my Magickal life made the most sense for me :sweat_smile: I also like this method because it acts as a record that shows me what I was interested in in relation to everything else I was learning about, so I can see how my interests and practice changes over time :slight_smile:

This is how my index looks so far.

10 Likes

Wade, may I copy theses 2 pages? Iā€™ll destroy them once I get organized. No one will ever see them but me.

6 Likes

Sure! :smiley: Iā€™m glad I can provide some inspiration :slight_smile: Iā€™ll look and see if I can find a quick overview of the Bullet Journal method to give you a bit more context for how I use it for my BoS for if youā€™re unfamiliar with the method :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Forgive my language but DUDE you are terrific!

8 Likes

Dā€™awww, shenanigans! :sweat_smile: It takes it to know it! :star2:

Iā€™m always excited to introduce people to ā€œMy Lord and Savior, The Bullet Journalā€, so Iā€™m going to probably be updating this post with more links as I find them :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s the brief introduction to the Bullet Journal (BuJo) method from the official Bullet Journal website. Their blog section has tons of great articles for other uses and ā€œSpreadsā€ to use in the BuJo. It was originally developed as a planning/organization/productivity tool, but itā€™s ENDLESSLY adaptable to be used however one desires to. I personally use mine as my planner/to do list and as a notebook for all my random thoughts and ideas I want to remember throughout the day. Itā€™s helped TREMENDOUSLY with my organiztion skills, and my goal of being more mindful with how I spend my time.

Another explanation/overview of the BuJo method can be found on this website. This website also has lots of other ideas for the BuJo that could be adapted for more Magickal purposes! :slight_smile: Itā€™s also a great resource if youā€™re looking for planning/productivity tips/tricks/advice for the more mundane parts of your life :slight_smile:

This article is another great overview, and gives some good examples of different Collections that could be adapted for Magical things.

These are a few things to give you some ideas, and I can totally pull more resources for you if you have any specific quesitons or things youā€™re curious about! I can also give a bit of a tour of my Witchy and mundane BuJos (provided that I have time to censor some stuff lol) if you need any examples or anything. Iā€™m addicted to my BuJo, so I can try to answer any questions or anything you have :smiley:

PS: A lot of people who show off their BuJos are SUPER artistic and make everything look super beautiful, but Iā€™m much more minimalist and just keep it super basic and simple lol

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Jewitch! That was very edifying :open_book:

I tend to follow Kasieā€™s method. If I check something for reference I move the page towards the front of the binder. Eventually the things that I need end up towards the beginning. Right now all the charts are at the front, followed by recipes and prayers.

Hereā€™s a link to the Book of Shadows Section Dividers and Content Pages :page_facing_up:

9 Likes

Sounds good. Wade suggested the bullet method. Too much like math, I started to drool.
A-B-C itā€™s easy as 1-2-3 :wink:

7 Likes

Putting the info in alphabetical order or the order of how frequently itā€™s used is definitely the easiest method for sure :sweat_smile: Iā€™m just someone who likes to have everything in one place, even if itā€™s in a random order :nerd_face: lol

7 Likes

Well, At my age the KISS method still works for me. Youā€™re the best Wade. Grateful Blessings

8 Likes

Thank you :relaxed: Sending positive energies your way :relaxed::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

7 Likes

It should be whatever feels comfortable and best for you!

10 Likes

This is awesome @Jewitch !!!
Iā€™m a bit OCD so organization is essential. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Iā€™m going to check these links out.
Thank you for sharing!

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I need some organization. Not so much for the BOS, because Iā€™ve been using the templates and printing from Spells8 ( i love the dividers- Thank you @Francisco ) More for keeping a record of my spells and rituals Iā€™ve doneā€¦ i think i will start a journal just on the spells and datesā€¦

Thank you,
Blessed Be

7 Likes

Iā€™m trying to get some system going as I liked the idea of alphabetizing but then wanted a system of dividers like Herbs, etc. that I could just go to when I needed something specific and then do an alphabetized ā€˜contentsā€™ page with page numbers. Ugh, decisions, decisions, :smiley:

5 Likes

I love the BuJo because Iā€™m someone who makes A LOT of lists, and itā€™s a great system for keeping everything in one place! The system allows you to just jot things down as they come to you (notes, events, tasks, etc.) but itā€™s still easy to keep track of everything and not forget to do anything. The best part is that the system encourages you to do a morning and evening reflection on the stuff youā€™ve written down so that you make sure that if you forgot to do something, you can push it back to another time (ā€œMigrationā€ as the system calls it), or you can decide that it isnā€™t worth your time and energy and cross it out.

If you have a particular thing that requires lots of notes or tasks related to that one thing, you create a new ā€œCollectionā€ specifically for that item so that everything related to it is in that one place.

If you start a Collection or list or something and then have to pick up on it a few pages later, thereā€™s even a trick called ā€œThreadingā€ that makes sure everything stays tied together so that you can find everything you need throughout the notebook!

I could go on and on forever because I love it so much and it works so well for me, but Iā€™ll try to keep it short and sweet here :speak_no_evil:

7 Likes