Book of shadows order

In what order should your BOS be?

7 Likes

I would put what you use most up front, and then what you don’t use but want to keep in the back. But that’s just me, there are no hard and fast rules.

4 Likes

Well that’s better than alphabetically. Brainwashed by grade school…

7 Likes

It makes sense to put it alphabetically if everyone is going to be using it, but if it’s going to be just you, you can do it however you want. Mine is on my computer in files so it’s alphabetically just because that’s how the computer sorts it.

4 Likes

Sounds good. thank you :blush: :blush:

5 Likes

I debated about how I wanted to order my BoS for a really long time, but then I realized that what makes the most sense for me personally is to make it Bullet Journal style where I add the stuff in the order that it comes to me. I put an index/table of contents in the beginning so that I can easily find what I’m looking for and know exactly where it is.

But then again, I use the Bullet Journal method to keep my mundane life organized, so I found that keeping the same method in my Magickal life made the most sense for me :sweat_smile: I also like this method because it acts as a record that shows me what I was interested in in relation to everything else I was learning about, so I can see how my interests and practice changes over time :slight_smile:

This is how my index looks so far.

10 Likes

Wade, may I copy theses 2 pages? I’ll destroy them once I get organized. No one will ever see them but me.

6 Likes

Sure! :smiley: I’m glad I can provide some inspiration :slight_smile: I’ll look and see if I can find a quick overview of the Bullet Journal method to give you a bit more context for how I use it for my BoS for if you’re unfamiliar with the method :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Forgive my language but DUDE you are terrific!

8 Likes

D’awww, shenanigans! :sweat_smile: It takes it to know it! :star2:

I’m always excited to introduce people to “My Lord and Savior, The Bullet Journal”, so I’m going to probably be updating this post with more links as I find them :slight_smile:

Here’s the brief introduction to the Bullet Journal (BuJo) method from the official Bullet Journal website. Their blog section has tons of great articles for other uses and “Spreads” to use in the BuJo. It was originally developed as a planning/organization/productivity tool, but it’s ENDLESSLY adaptable to be used however one desires to. I personally use mine as my planner/to do list and as a notebook for all my random thoughts and ideas I want to remember throughout the day. It’s helped TREMENDOUSLY with my organiztion skills, and my goal of being more mindful with how I spend my time.

Another explanation/overview of the BuJo method can be found on this website. This website also has lots of other ideas for the BuJo that could be adapted for more Magickal purposes! :slight_smile: It’s also a great resource if you’re looking for planning/productivity tips/tricks/advice for the more mundane parts of your life :slight_smile:

This article is another great overview, and gives some good examples of different Collections that could be adapted for Magical things.

These are a few things to give you some ideas, and I can totally pull more resources for you if you have any specific quesitons or things you’re curious about! I can also give a bit of a tour of my Witchy and mundane BuJos (provided that I have time to censor some stuff lol) if you need any examples or anything. I’m addicted to my BuJo, so I can try to answer any questions or anything you have :smiley:

PS: A lot of people who show off their BuJos are SUPER artistic and make everything look super beautiful, but I’m much more minimalist and just keep it super basic and simple lol

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Jewitch! That was very edifying :open_book:

I tend to follow Kasie’s method. If I check something for reference I move the page towards the front of the binder. Eventually the things that I need end up towards the beginning. Right now all the charts are at the front, followed by recipes and prayers.

Here’s a link to the Book of Shadows Section Dividers and Content Pages :page_facing_up:

9 Likes

Sounds good. Wade suggested the bullet method. Too much like math, I started to drool.
A-B-C it’s easy as 1-2-3 :wink:

7 Likes

Putting the info in alphabetical order or the order of how frequently it’s used is definitely the easiest method for sure :sweat_smile: I’m just someone who likes to have everything in one place, even if it’s in a random order :nerd_face: lol

7 Likes

Well, At my age the KISS method still works for me. You’re the best Wade. Grateful Blessings

8 Likes

Thank you :relaxed: Sending positive energies your way :relaxed::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

7 Likes

It should be whatever feels comfortable and best for you!

10 Likes

This is awesome @Jewitch !!!
I’m a bit OCD so organization is essential. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I’m going to check these links out.
Thank you for sharing!

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I need some organization. Not so much for the BOS, because I’ve been using the templates and printing from Spells8 ( i love the dividers- Thank you @Francisco ) More for keeping a record of my spells and rituals I’ve done… i think i will start a journal just on the spells and dates…

Thank you,
Blessed Be

7 Likes

I’m trying to get some system going as I liked the idea of alphabetizing but then wanted a system of dividers like Herbs, etc. that I could just go to when I needed something specific and then do an alphabetized ‘contents’ page with page numbers. Ugh, decisions, decisions, :smiley:

5 Likes

I love the BuJo because I’m someone who makes A LOT of lists, and it’s a great system for keeping everything in one place! The system allows you to just jot things down as they come to you (notes, events, tasks, etc.) but it’s still easy to keep track of everything and not forget to do anything. The best part is that the system encourages you to do a morning and evening reflection on the stuff you’ve written down so that you make sure that if you forgot to do something, you can push it back to another time (“Migration” as the system calls it), or you can decide that it isn’t worth your time and energy and cross it out.

If you have a particular thing that requires lots of notes or tasks related to that one thing, you create a new “Collection” specifically for that item so that everything related to it is in that one place.

If you start a Collection or list or something and then have to pick up on it a few pages later, there’s even a trick called “Threading” that makes sure everything stays tied together so that you can find everything you need throughout the notebook!

I could go on and on forever because I love it so much and it works so well for me, but I’ll try to keep it short and sweet here :speak_no_evil:

7 Likes