Bos Construction interest

How many people would be interested in a step-by-step guide to making semi-traditional style BOS? I’m talking about bound pages and the works. If there’s enough interest I’ll start writing up the instructions once I get my first set of pages printed.

24 Likes

I would I made a BOM and it turned out okay but I wanted leather and a better one!
What were you thinking?

Jeannie

14 Likes

leather, wood, bound pages. I learned how to make antique-style books years ago so i have a few ways of doing it but the one I’m planning for mine is easy and will allow for additions later on. all-natural materials or dang close to it. the only metals allowed are brass or copper.

15 Likes

Here’s a site where I’ve gotten bookbinding supplies, incasd anyone is interested:

17 Likes

I’d be interested!! Thanks!

10 Likes

That’s interesting! Is there a specific reason that those are the only metals allowed?

As for your original question, I’m sure many people would be interested in a tutorial on creating a hand-bound Book of Shadows!

10 Likes

I was taught that brass and copper were okay because they are among the ancient metals of gold, silver, copper, tin, iron, lead, and mercury. Brass is one of the early alchemic metals. They are also easy to work with using hand tools. Copper and brass are also considered to be two of the best magickal energy conductors.

While iron is a metal that could be used I fear that the oxidation of pure iron would over time ruin the BOS or paged within.

11 Likes

@LadyDennaRahl I would be very interested. Especially if your talking about some sort of tutorial. I’d also be more than willing to help you in anyway you find helpful. :heart_decoration:

10 Likes

Interesting! I don’t know much about book binding or alchemy, but I know that iron was used in many ancient practices for other things such as weapons and things created in the forge. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about this and your tutorial for binding a book in this way :open_book:

10 Likes

For those waiting on this, I will be starting some of the work soon and will be posting photos soon as well. I’ve changed how I’m doing it to better allow for the addition of pages and such. I’ve finally got part of my bos printed and need to have the rest scanned and reprinted. While most will be on non-animal-based parchment some pages are from the witches colouring books and other sources thus the pages will not be coloured uniformly. I’m also designing this one to be used with a few thrifted parts as well to allow for money saving and up cycling.

11 Likes

It sounds like you have put a lot of careful thought into the process, @LadyDennaRahl- I am so excited to see how it turns out! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Good luck and enjoy the crafting of your BoS! :open_book: :sparkles:

7 Likes

i’ll be starting to post the photos and such in the next coming days

10 Likes

I look forward to seeing them! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Yes. I would love to have this.
Please include me as one.

8 Likes

I look forward to seeing the photos as you are able to post them! How exciting! :hugs:

7 Likes

Woohoo! I’m also looking forward to seeing them :blush: :heart:

7 Likes

Eagerly looking forward to this! :closed_book: :books:

7 Likes

Awesome! I can’t wait!

8 Likes

This will be a fully updatable and adjustable and customizable. You can also recycle the book covers as well.

Needs

fully adjustable 2 or 3-hole punch. big printing stores can do this for you at a cost.
two large clamps that fit the thickness of your book with a cover.

Chicago screws you will need to measure the size of your book and order the size you need. I’m using 6" brass screws. you can use any kind, I prefer to stick with alchemy-based metals and most natural items.

Your cover can be whatever you’d like but old-style photo albums work really well as a base as the covers are almost always wood with thin leather over them. larger ones can be cut down and recovered later on. Look for the type that uses Chicago screws and have a reverse tab for hiding the screws.

10 Likes

This is a nice touch- when a Book has a lot of use, it’s natural for the cover to become weathered over the years. I like that you’ve incorporated an easy way to replace the cover if needed! :grinning:

7 Likes