Brigid Doll

So I plan on making a Brigid Doll for Imbolc. I thought I would ask here first, even before researching, because you all are so knowledgeable and I trust my coven. Can I make her ahead of time or do I make her on the night of or before? Thanks in advance and Blessed Be. :purple_heart:

7 Likes

In my own opinion, you can make one at any time you feel called to do so, for reasons of celebrating Imbolc & Her day, it’s traditionally made the night before (Jan 31) to the day of (Feb 1)

I have a corn husk dolly that I am going to make & will be making a new Brigid’s Cross also.

For some reference, I do remember that there was a reason that I was unable to release the previous cross & create a new one at the time of Imbolc last year. So I did wind up doing it later that month for the same purposes & actually released the previous one even later, which I believe was due to weather & not being able to access my fire pit for a little bit.

When you are called to, have the time, & as long as it is for the reasons of making one… you can make one when you are able to or when it is traditionally done.

I hope that helped. :smiling_face:

7 Likes

Ah yes, thank you so much! Very helpful! :purple_heart:

7 Likes

I’ve never made one myself but I’m pretty sure you can make one at any time of the year. If I’m not mistaken, many people actually have a Brideog (Brigid doll) they re-use every year. I have a crochet Brigid doll that I may use on Imbolg :thinking:

I think, as Siofra said, when you have the time to do it and it’s the right reason, go for it! You can even read from Morgan Daimler about the way they celebrate Imbolg as an Irish American.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/2016/01/irish-american-witchcraft-my-american-imbolc/

7 Likes

I would love to be able to crochet a Brighid doll to keep on Her altar space :star_struck: It also reminds me of the image I had used in today’s Tending the Flame post! I remember seeing it & thinking, I wish I could make one or something similar to keep for Her. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

While I have not made a Brigid’s doll for Imbolc, I do make a Brigid’s Cross each year. I agree with @Susurrus that while it is traditionally done near February 1st, you can make it whenever you are called to. My first year, I made my cross late as I had trouble finding appropriate material (I don’t have reeds near me). Go with what feels right!

5 Likes

Thank you. Love your doll too btw!

4 Likes

Thank you! Where did you get reeds from? I dont know if theres any around here or not.

5 Likes

Reeds can be found in the wild (here is an article about them). They are usually found in wetlands and look a lot like grass. If you have cat-o-nine-tails, they are part of the reed family.

I’m in Houston, TX and don’t have any public areas that grow reeds. Last year I used some that I found at Michael’s but since they were already dried, it was hard to keep them from breaking. I believe @Susurrus mentioned to me that she found a site online to get a roll but I could be mistaken. I need to look myself before it gets too late.

5 Likes

Like @Amaris_Bane the first year I didn’t have the proper materials either & I actually used seagrass. Which is abundant around here being from Cape Cod. The next year, I ordered rushes from Amazon to use, which worked out great. Because they came on a spool, I do cut the lengths & then let them hang a bit to sort of straighten out some a few weeks before I “plan” on making the Cross. Then I use twine to tie off the ends & in the middle.

I have seen them made with straws & pipe cleaners too. Use what is available to you & it will have just as much meaning as the way they are traditionally made. :revolving_hearts:

3 Likes

We have some cattails around here but I’m in Wisconsin so it’s pretty cold still and I’m not sure the weather will permit me to go venturing out just yet. I will need to purchase some reeds most likely or something similar. I did purchase an altar kit on Etsy for Imbolc and a pre-made cross for my first year celebrating since I’m a bit worried about finding time as I have a 3yr old and don’t know how to make the cross. I’ve looked up videos, just a little worried I’ll mess it up. I do plan on making one next year though, and who knows, maybe I’ll have time to make a cross this year as well. We shall see. Thank you for the info. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Aww thank you :blush: I’m happy to help you!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.