Candle making

First of all, thank you! I do love some crafting! But seriously, beeswax tapers are as easy as they sound. Yes, I use the sheets that look like bubble wrap (they smell so good!). Before you begin, sit them somewhere warm… like put them in the bathroom while you shower. You don’t want the wax to melt, but you do want it to be pliable so it doesn’t break in half.

You can cut the wax sheets to be the size you want, so if you want short stubby candles, cut the wax to be short. Then you lay the wick at one side of the wax sheet, making sure it’s about 3/4 in. longer than the wax and fold one end of the wax sheet over the wick. Then you just roll it up like you would a poster. You can sort of squish it all together. You can do multiple colors (just overlap the wax).

I squish the top of my candle a little bit when I’m finished to make it a bit pointed. Let me run upstairs and snap a picture of one we did last year.

It is super easy.

7 Likes

I think I’ve seen some people on YouTube make candles like this! I’ll have to give it a shot. I’ve got some oranges, olive oil, and candle wicks laying around! I’m sure it smells really great, too :tangerine: :yum:

6 Likes

I actually make and sale candles with herbs, essential oils and crystals chips but they are only white I haven’t been able to do color yet! If you want any information just let me know I’ll be happy to help!

7 Likes

I’m sure the orange candle will work because oil is burnable. I might try this one too :wink: looks like it would smell great with orange E.O. added to the oil.

I’ve used the roll 'em up beeswax too. I love it! You can add oils and herbs very easily when rolling them up.

Candle making: My advice is use soy or :honeybee:bees wax. They are better for your air, they help clean the air and are safer for lungs and such :+1:

I have made a couple of pour candles and they were ok. There’s a lot to know about your temperatures in the cooling process to keep them level and for adding scents. Mine sunk in the middle :unamused:

I will definitely make more candles :candle: in the future for special purposes mostly, but my everyday kind of candles I will still purpose already made for convenience and i think they are cheaper especially if you find a good sale.

I would like to try doing the dip method for making tapers at some point :wink:
:butterfly:

6 Likes

Wow so much info and I knew I could trust I would get ideas fro you guys. I am going to look into beeswax sheets— love the look and was gonna order some candles on Etsy. But if they aren’t that hard prob just as easy for me to make. Who knows, maybe it might be an idea to make some extra funds :slight_smile: but we will see about that.

Right now I will prob just order what I Ned for now but definitely an idea when the warmer weather is here.

For those that live in Canada, where do you get your beeswax sheets?

7 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity Good luck- definitely keep us posted on what you find! :candle::tangerine: :grinning:

@Cattleya That sounds amazing, and the wax melter is a perfect gift! :blush:

@AileyGrey Ohhhhh it’s gorgeous, Ailey! And it truly does sound easy- I’ve seen the wax sheets here and there, I’ll have to see if I can get a few to experiment with. I imagine they are cheaper than buying the whole block of beeswax too! Thanks so much for your advice- I’m excited to give it a try someday! :candle::two_hearts:

@MeganB For science (and magick)! :laughing: :+1: Good luck and I can’t wait to hear how it works out! :raised_hands:

@brandy20 Candles with crystals are such a beautiful combo, your candles sound amazing! :candle::heart:

@Sarafeena_Sage The more the merrier when it comes to experiments! And ohhh adding the essential oil sounds like a great touch, I bet that would smell heavenly :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Dierna_Nimue_Selene Good luck with your candle making and shopping- I hope you’re able to get yourself some lovely new candles to enjoy! :blush::two_hearts:

7 Likes

@BryWisteria @MeganB
I can confirm that they orange candles DO work. I made mine in a small whisky glass (being from Scotland) and put a range of seeds in as i didnt have enough clove. It is now burning on my altar.

6 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully after recovery I can open my shop back up!!

6 Likes

Oh that looks great!

5 Likes

I’m hoping so too! Wishing you a speedy recovery, Brandy :heart::pray:

Love the whisky glass (:scotland: :two_hearts: ) and gosh, it looks gorgeous burning so brightly and beautifully on your altar! :blush:

May I ask how long it ended up burning for? :candle::eyes:

7 Likes

it burned for around an hour then it got a bit smokey so I had to snuff it out. Nice little project though if you have some spare oranges (and very quick to make!).

6 Likes

Always a smart move to snuff if it seems to be acting up :+1: Still a very fun experiment though, thank you for giving it a try, @Cosmic_Curiosity! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I used up my last mandarin oranges in the simmer pot from the other day- next run to the store I’ll try to remember to grab an orange/other citrus to give this a try too! :tangerine: :grinning:

Hooray for candle crafting! :candle::sparkles:

8 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Scotland & Scottish Magick Resources

I have been wanting to make my own candles for the longest time. I have no clue where to begin. I will start with the orange candle. Thant looks so pretty.

7 Likes

@Iyanifa Get yourself a basic candlemaking kit to start off. It comes with the basics to get you started. Pinterest is great for getting design and scent ideas to experiment with

7 Likes

So kind of you @Cosmic_Curiosity!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

@Dierna_Nimue_Selene I’m a little late on this one, but I buy the colored beeswax candles from Amazon. I purchase extra wicks and I deconstruct the candle and turn one candle into 4. They burn fast also, so if you are doing a candle spell you don’t have to wait to long for it to burn down.

6 Likes

Thank you for the responses. I am looking on Amazon for a candle making kit. I am going to watch a few You Tube videos. I am going to ask my husband to get me a kit for my birthday.

6 Likes

That’s a great b-day present to ask for! I hope you’re able to find and get the perfect kit :candle::blush:

Good luck and blessed candle crafting! :heart:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.