Candle Safety 🔥


It’s no secret that witches love candles. Candles have been used in magick and religious ceremonies for centuries. Candles can bring an ambiance to any space in your home. The flicker of the flame and the scents that permeate the room can change the atmosphere and energy of that space.

However, it should go without saying that candles can also be dangerous. It is fire, after all. And if we know anything about fire, it’s that fire has the power to create, yes, but also to devastate. Risking your home, your school, or a forest for the sake of a candle is a reckless and selfish thing to do. So, let’s talk about fire safety.

“Only YOU can prevent wildfires.” - Smokey the Bear

Why is candle safety important?

According to the National Fire Protection Association, from 2012-2016 an estimated 8,200 home structure fires were reportedly caused by candles, and these fires caused an average of 80 deaths per year, 770 injuries, and over $200-million in damages.

Preparation and Prevention

I’m not saying you should never burn candles or incense, or anything for that matter. What I am saying is that you should be prepared beforehand to prevent a disaster. Here are some things you should do if you are going to have an open flame in your home.

  1. Keep all candles and burning objects at least 12 inches away from anything that can catch on fire.

  2. Keep a fire extinguisher in your home - somewhere easily accessible.

  3. When burning anything, keep water close to the area just in case.

  4. Keep candles in sturdy holders on a flat surface. You do not want them to tip over.

  5. Don’t burn candles when you are tired. You might fall asleep.

  6. NEVER use a candle if anyone in the home uses oxygen.

  7. Don’t let a candle burn overnight - even if your spell calls for it.

  8. Keep candles away from small children and pets.

What if an accident happens?

I like to think back to the training that I received when I worked in a hospital, and I’ll share that with you here. Keep in mind, though, that most house fires are 100% preventable.

You want to R.A.C.E. during a fire.

Remove - remove people from the area

Alarm - call 911 (or your emergency service line)

Contain - keep the fire from spreading by closing doors if you are escaping

Extinguish or Escape - if safe to do so, extinguish the flame. If not, get out of the building


And how do you use a fire extinguisher? Think PASS.

Pull the pin.

Aim the nozzle.

Squeeze the trigger.

Sweep back and forth.


Fires are preventable, but we have to take the right steps to get there. This means following the safety tips above and always keeping a method of extinguishing a flame close by.

Do you practice good fire safety when burning candles?


Thanks for this safety tips! Luckily I never had any issues with fire, but I have a little fire extinguisher ready just in case!

Also, I would add to never burn a candle on a bookshelf or a windowsill with curtains!


I 100% agree. I don’t burn anything too close to anything else, just in case. I also have anxiety, and fire is one of my major fears, so I’m extra careful!


“A glass jar candle is especially risky to burn to the bottom, because allowing the heat to reach the bottom of the container could cause it to crack or explode, in which case the wax will melt out or the wick ( flame ) could fall out and cause a fire !”

I mistakenly felt that a votive candle in a jar was relatively safe… until last night…


Be careful with Robes with super open wide sleeves. The Robe depicted in Buckland’s Big Blue has just the kind of sleeves that can easily dip into a candle flame.


Ohhh nooo @berta! So sorry about the candle. It happens so unexpectedly sometimes:sweat: Hope you and the table are all okay and there’s no lasting damage! Naughty candle :candle: :point_up:

And that’s some important advice about the sleeves, @john4! Ritual robes are wonderful and add an extra element to the spellwork, but they also require an extra focus on safety as well :+1:


Looks like that glass wasn’t meant to handle a candle :frowning_face: I’m glad you’re safe, though!



This is so important, specifically in works that need to leave a 7 day candle lit until is completely done, and to practitioners with family in the house.



With so many burning candles around I suspect that I am not the only one who has issues with wax migrating to places I didn’t intend for it to go. As some of you know I had a candle explode - a black candle no less- and it left a real mess on my wall, table, carpet tools, etc. Most of it was easily cleaned by scraping and elbow grease, but the wall was a challenge.

I found these helpful posts online and came up with this… hope it helps.


Hair Dryer or iron - I actually found the iron worked better
Lint free cloth must be 100% cotton (it will get hot)
Paper towels
White Vinegar
Wooden spoon
Ice pack (freeze some water in a sealable baggie)

Scrape off excess wax .

Lay a damp, lint-free white cloth over the wax and apply medium heat with an iron or hair dryer; the wax will adhere to the cloth. Use rubbing alcohol or a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar to remove residue.

If it is a large or think flow of hard wax - freeze the wax with an ice pack, then shatter the frozen clump with a blunt object, like the handle of a kitchen utensil or wooden spoon.

Not completely gone but much improved. It is old latex paint and I probably should repaint that room anyway…but it will serve for now.


@MeganB- I wrote to the seller who had made the candles and sent her the photos as well and told her how the glass had ‘popped and the wax exploded everywhere’ - she refunded my money, thanked me for letting her know and said she would be in touch with her glass supplier as well. I loved the scent of these candles - they were sage. I still have 2 but am afraid to burn them.


I’m glad you were able to get your money back for them. I wonder if you could possibly remove the two you still have from the glass and burn them on a plate or in another dish. Sometimes if you warm up the outside of the candle container by rubbing it between your palms, you can wiggle the candle from the glass container that it’s in.


BRILLIANT !!! @MeganB I tried that! It never occurred to me that I could get them out of the container that they were made in. I had to warm them under the tap, but they finally slid out… YEA!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!


haha you’re welcome! Sometimes it seems like those things get stuck in there forever but with just a bit of wiggling, they can come right out!


I had heard about the hair dryer method but never used it. But the iron way looks very useful too.

Thanks for sharing it, and with pictures! That’s very valuable information, Berta!!


This is very helpful, I’m going to print these instructions and go over them with my family. Thank you and I guess I was not practicing safe fire practices. I will now though.


This is wild. I buy glass candles all the time. I never once remember burning all the way to the end because I’m constantly buying. I guess my spirit animal is always with me. Glad that you were safe though.


I understand what you’re talking about. I had two close calls. I will tell you about the related one. I picked up a candle holder , and did not checked the material . it looked like metal so i left it lit on my altar and went out . I came back to a house full of smoke. The holder while looking like metal was plastic. You can’t be to safe. Thanks for the topic.


Just to jump in here, I wanted to say hi to @maurice1 and introduce myself. I’m Tracy from England. Welcome. Blessed be :sparkling_heart:


Oh no! That is scary- I’m glad you caught it and I hope there wasn’t too much damage from the smoke :pray:

Also, hello! :wave::blush: It’s very nice to meet you, Maruice- make yourself at home here!


I did. Just a house in gulfed in smoke,with the smoke detectors trying to see which one can be the loudest. Thank you for the welcome. Just trying to find my way around. But it is so good to be here. Again. Thanks.